• High-end Dust 514 load-out to cost about 24 cents, but don't die
    80 replies, posted
I'm wondering if specific players can be targeted for bombardment. Would be interesting to see the effects of a 1400mm shell on a single man. Also, it would be interesting if drones could get involved too.
[QUOTE=cccritical;36336000]"I don't want to lose all my shit, better just sit in this corner." [/QUOTE] The ships can do airstrikes.
[QUOTE=MightyMax;36333774]It's just like eve itself. because of this exact reason, this wont appeal to 12 year olds. Hopefully it'll attract more mature guys who actually use tactics and value their character's life. You train that character, give him weapons and materials, etc. Just like a real soldier, you don't want him to die in 10 seconds.[/QUOTE] Except in eve ships are worth literally thousands of dollars.
[QUOTE=Jetblack357;36338692]Except in eve ships are worth literally thousands of dollars.[/QUOTE] You don't pay for them with real money, though. Unless you count your subscription fee.
This is either going to really really well or fail really hard. Everything I read about this game makes me wonder why it isn't on PC too, seems like a waste.
[QUOTE=Kegan;36333900]For pennies? So now we have nanotransactions :v: Neat concept though[/QUOTE] Can't wait for picotransactions, fractions of pennies. How much is 0.24 USD in ISK? :v: [editline]edit[/editline] Just found [url=http://isk.thealphacompany.net/?isk=0.24&conversion=usdtoisk&Submit=Convert]it's a little over 6 million.[/url] I make that in 15 minutes. :v:
So I'm confused. They were buying this stuff for real money? But in the game it's going to be made by EVE players or something, right? [editline]15th June 2012[/editline] I do like this though. It actually gives your virtual life some worth. That's the problem I find in a lot of shooters that are trying to be realistic (obviously this one isn't), where you could totally do something that you wouldn't do in real life because you wouldn't want to die. Like Jihad-jeeping
[QUOTE=Chirno;36336995]I think the difference is that with TF2 all you lose is a few seconds of play. You die and have to wait for the respawn timer and then you can go off and do things again, where as in Dust, if you die you lose everything on that character. At least according to the article.[/QUOTE] Which would be fine and all, but from what I've seen the gameplay more or less resembles Team Fortress or Counter Strike, rather than say, Arma. If it was Arma like I could see paying 24 cents per life on load outs, but if it was like TF, CS, your basic arena type shooter, then that would bleed you worse than your local arcade
[QUOTE=TheTalon;36339771]Which would be fine and all, but from what I've seen the gameplay more or less resembles Team Fortress or Counter Strike, rather than say, Arma. If it was Arma like I could see paying 24 cents per life on load outs, but if it was like TF, CS, your basic arena type shooter, then that would bleed you worse than your local arcade[/QUOTE] I've heard from people in the beta that it's very possible to play smart and safe. Not to mention you *don't have to use that gear for every random skirmish. Save it for the fights that matter, and use the high-end normal gear most of the time. The saying holds true on the ground as well as in space: Don't use what you aren't prepared to lose.
[QUOTE=RainbowStalin;36339331]This is either going to really really well or fail really hard. Everything I read about this game makes me wonder why it isn't on PC too, seems like a waste.[/QUOTE] I think it was a really stupid idea not to also develop the game for PC. I don't like to generalise console gamers, as I am an occasional one myself, but I feel that the kind of people that consoles tend to appeal to won't suit the game's target audience.
[QUOTE=Jetblack357;36338692]Except in eve ships are worth literally thousands of dollars.[/QUOTE] Except you're an idiot as there are only 1 group of ships in eve worth that much- Titans. The biggest ships in the game. Everything else is much more affordable.
Yeah. If you were to use the value of a plex to convert isk prices to dollars (which is stupid anyway because you can't cash out and that value changes constantly) you'd get somewhere around a nickel for a frigate, a dime for a destroyer, maybe two dollars for a battlecruiser. But again, that's a stupid way of looking at it because ingame income is more than sufficient to cover these.
Fucking shit now I feel like resubbing.
[QUOTE=DarkMonkey;36345328]Yeah. If you were to use the value of a plex to convert isk prices to dollars (which is stupid anyway because you can't cash out and that value changes constantly) you'd get somewhere around a nickel for a frigate, a dime for a destroyer, maybe two dollars for a battlecruiser. But again, that's a stupid way of looking at it because ingame income is more than sufficient to cover these.[/QUOTE] I'm guessing 24 cents is like full officer equipment, which can be really expensive.
[QUOTE=TheTalon;36339771]Which would be fine and all, but from what I've seen the gameplay more or less resembles Team Fortress or Counter Strike, rather than say, Arma. If it was Arma like I could see paying 24 cents per life on load outs, but if it was like TF, CS, your basic arena type shooter, then that would bleed you worse than your local arcade[/QUOTE] Again, it's different because in TF2 you lose nothing. People play differently when their entire lives are on the line.
[QUOTE=cccritical;36336000]I could understand this model on the PC but I have a terrible feeling console players will turn this game into a camping trip simulator. "I don't want to lose all my shit, better just sit in this corner." Meanwhile nothing gets done for the EVE players, they get pissed and stop pushing funds for 514 operations, fewer online matches, playerbase dwindles.[/QUOTE] Pretty sure it'd be the same regardless of platform.
If we assume we are talking about PLEX conversion to ISK for that 24 cent bit then that loadout is in the 6-8 million ISK range. That being said, if it is truly the best then that is probably a single loadout, not a batch of 100. I mean you can't even get past cruisers loadouts for that kind of cost.
[QUOTE=Jetblack357;36338692]Except in eve ships are worth literally thousands of dollars.[/QUOTE] Maybe for Titans, I fly a pretty expensive ship, about 600m including modules and that's only about £10.
[QUOTE=Pie108;36334068]No, 24 cents per 100 deaths is dirt cheap and a steal. I'd imagine those 100 lives would last about 2-3 hours or more so long as you're not directly running into enemy fire. But I'd imagine 20 dollars per 100 would be a bit more reasonable.[/QUOTE] Most games let you die for free.
[QUOTE=Janus Vesta;36351800]Most games let you die for free.[/QUOTE] Most games aren't hooked up to an MMO with a thriving and complex economy.
[QUOTE=bord2tears;36350000]If we assume we are talking about PLEX conversion to ISK for that 24 cent bit then that loadout is in the 6-8 million ISK range. That being said, if it is truly the best then that is probably a single loadout, not a batch of 100. I mean you can't even get past cruisers loadouts for that kind of cost.[/QUOTE] People, a small individual cost doesn't preclude batch purchasing. It just means you would pay like, one dollar for a run of 100 BFGs, which works out to a penny per unit. Maths yo. Not to mention that this gear is for humans who are oftentimes smaller than our ammunition. Also dust lets you die for free too it is a conscious choice you make if you want to purchase and then risk gear.
[QUOTE=DarkMonkey;36345328]Yeah. If you were to use the value of a plex to convert isk prices to dollars (which is stupid anyway because you can't cash out and that value changes constantly) you'd get somewhere around a nickel for a frigate, a dime for a destroyer, maybe two dollars for a battlecruiser. But again, that's a stupid way of looking at it because ingame income is more than sufficient to cover these.[/QUOTE] A Navy Issue Battleship would cost around 30-40 dollars in that case. And if you think that's bad there are stories of people spending tens of thousands of dollars on PLEX to outfit their entire coalition with Titans and supercarriers.
Instead of CCP setting the pricing, why not let EVE's industrial side build the equipment and set our own prices? [editline]16th June 2012[/editline] [QUOTE=MoarFunz;36345408]Fucking shit now I feel like resubbing.[/QUOTE] Do it, I'll fly with you c:
[QUOTE=StickyNade;36354804]Instead of CCP setting the pricing, why not let EVE's industrial side build the equipment and set our own prices? [editline]16th June 2012[/editline] Do it, I'll fly with you c:[/QUOTE] This is the real-money stuff. Once they fully integrate the economies so eve players are making the normal shit, I'm sure that's how the rest of it will work.
[QUOTE=StickyNade;36354804]Instead of CCP setting the pricing, why not let EVE's industrial side build the equipment and set our own prices? [editline]16th June 2012[/editline] Do it, I'll fly with you c:[/QUOTE] I wanna fly with you guys too :( [editline]16th June 2012[/editline] [QUOTE=Janus Vesta;36351800]Most games let you die for free.[/QUOTE] This isn't "most games". This is eve. Nothing is free.
[QUOTE=DarkMonkey;36340566]I've heard from people in the beta that it's very possible to play smart and safe. Not to mention you *don't have to use that gear for every random skirmish. Save it for the fights that matter, and use the high-end normal gear most of the time. The saying holds true on the ground as well as in space: Don't use what you aren't prepared to lose.[/QUOTE] Well I am a cheapskate. I wasn't prepared to lose anything so I PvP'd in a Merlin. Little ship is quite surprising in its capabilities, as long as you play smart. Got a Domi once
[QUOTE=TheTalon;36333976]24 cents a life? Even for a dedicated gamer, 100 deaths means basically $25. I've died that much in a single sitting of TF2. If it's 24 cents per 100 then that's a bit more reasonable[/QUOTE] This isn't TF2
[QUOTE=Andokool12;36355800]This isn't TF2[/QUOTE] I don't understand why you can't look past the fact that I use TF2 as an example? The game plays more like an Arena Shooter like TF2/CS/CoD/Medal of Honor/List goes On, Rather than a game like Red Orchestra/Arma/OFP. So 24 cents per life seems Steep, More so than your normal Arcade games at the local Mall. The only reason I'm not complaining is because it's optional and who's going to use it for normal every day matches? They're like Gold Rounds in world of tanks. Way too expensive to just use
[QUOTE=TheTalon;36355904]I don't understand why you can't look past the fact that I use TF2 as an example? The game plays more like an Arena Shooter like TF2/CS/CoD/Medal of Honor/List goes On, Rather than a game like Red Orchestra/Arma/OFP. So 24 cents per life seems Steep, More so than your normal Arcade games at the local Mall. The only reason I'm not complaining is because it's optional and who's going to use it for normal every day matches? They're like Gold Rounds in world of tanks. Way too expensive to just use[/QUOTE] Ah, I didn't know it played out like an arena shooter
[QUOTE=markfu;36348123]Pretty sure it'd be the same regardless of platform.[/QUOTE] If it were on PC I could [i]easily[/i] see the medium and bigger corporations recruiting players specifically to fight their ground wars, and forking over extra cash to regular players for helping out. Since you've got both games on the same platform, and 514 is free-to-play, anyone who plays EVE is capable of fighting for their corporation. As important as planets are they'll constantly be fought for, if nobody's playing 514 then what? Whereas the 514 community could never truly die on the PC, until the entire EVE community dies at least. Still don't get why they won't put this up on the PC. Maybe that's why, they don't want the bigger corporations to have manpower advantage, but that's a dumb reason if 514 matches have reasonable player limits.
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.