• "The Avengers" Annihilates Box Office Records: 200.3 Million on Opening Weekend.
    143 replies, posted
We have to wait a couple of months for the DVD/Blu-Ray to come out. Fuck.
It really does deserve every penny. It's one of the best goddamn movies I've ever seen. The action was great, the comedy was great, the characters were great, etc. And they managed to balance the focus and importance between the cast. They managed to make Black Widow, who has the power of "being Scarlett Johansson", have roughly the same amount of impact on the story as Thor, who has the power of "being a motherfucking Norse god". I don't know how they managed to do that, but they did, and it was great. There were a few things that could have been done a bit better, but they were mostly CGI things. And one character that didn't get much screen time kind of looked like he was out of a Power Rangers episode. But still: it [I]deserves[/I] the hype it's getting.
It was a good movie. I'll probably watch it again later this month, but some of the humor wasn't funny at all imo. Maybe it's cause I was so pissed at the lady texting the whole movie with her baby on her lap. I think that The Dark Knight Rises will be better though.
I went to see it at midnight. While the place was crawling with neckbearded hipsters, it was well worth it.
[QUOTE=Keegs;35858054]I think that The Dark Knight Rises will be better though.[/QUOTE] Difficult to compare to the two as Nolan's Batman trilogy has a completely different style and tone. Nolan's trilogy is complex, gritty, and really rather dark. The Marvel Universe is, despite a few dark moments, primarily lighthearted and a ridiculously good time. I'd say I enjoy the Marvel Universe and Nolan's Batman equally as they both occupy different areas of the superhero spectrum.
[QUOTE=Emperor Scorpious II;35857709]I'm going this Wednesday with a huge group of friends. Goddamn it, Wednesday needs to get here faster![/QUOTE] Mr. Right and Mr. Left and they both brought five friends.
Easily one of the best movies I've seen in a while. I don't know who had me laughing harder, at times... Tony, or Hulk. [sp]One thing that bugged me, though... They included the scene of Hulk catching Iron Man in the trailers, so we already knew what would happen when that scene came. Kind of a let down.[/sp] I also love how they keep their superhero names as nicknames. Captain America is at most referred to as Captain, probably as a literal title. Iron Man is almost always referred to as "Stark," Thor [I]is[/I] Thor, and they call Banner Hulk a few times, too.
Everyone needs to see this film, it's an epic 5 films in the making and holy balls it delivers.
[QUOTE=Keegs;35858054]Maybe it's cause I was so pissed at the lady texting the whole movie with her baby on her lap.[/QUOTE] Oh god, I know how you feel. As I was watching, one lady kept on getting up and coming back, and sitting up higher in her seat than anyone else, almost as if she was [I]trying[/I] to be annoying. The theater had reclining seats, but she decided to sit completely upright like a statue. The theater had goddamn [I]reclining seats[/I], but she didn't use that part at all, she didn't even sit [I]normally[/I] (lying back against the seat and relaxing), instead sitting like she was attending a goddamn tea party.
Hey MPAA, Look! When you produce a movie that isn't absolute shit it sells well! Imagine that! And yet they're still going to bitch about piracy.
[QUOTE=LegndNikko;35858139][sp]One thing that bugged me, though... They included the scene of Hulk catching Iron Man in the trailers, so we already knew what would happen when that scene came. Kind of a let down.[/sp][/QUOTE] [sp]I haven't kept up with television or anything, so I hadn't even seen the trailers for the movie.[/sp]
[QUOTE=soulharvester;35858153]Hey MPAA, Look! When you produce a movie that isn't absolute shit it sells well! Imagine that! And yet they're still going to bitch about piracy.[/QUOTE] Uncle GabeN was right, god damnit why can't everyone just listen to him.
i thought everyone was bored of superhero movies what happened
I read tons of Marvel comics as a kid and I've been dying to see this. I'm honestly not surprised it's doing so well. I hear people talking about it all over the place. And considering how many popular movies have led up to this, it's understandable.
the part where [sp]the Hulk did that thing, you know what I mean[/sp] was the funniest shit I've seen in a movie in years
The Avengers had a nice mix of action and comedy. Parts of it made me laugh harder than some [I]full-out comedy movies.[/I] [editline]4:44[/editline] [QUOTE=salty peanut v2;35858212]the part where [sp]the Hulk did that thing, you know what I mean[/sp] was the funniest shit I've seen in a movie in years[/QUOTE] [sp]"I am a go-*SMASH*"[/sp] [sp]"Puny god.[/sp]
[QUOTE=Seiteki;35858163][sp]I haven't kept up with television or anything, so I hadn't even seen the trailers for the movie.[/sp][/QUOTE] I considerably never watch television. I just watched them when they came out on YouTube.
[QUOTE=Hamsterjuice;35858208]i thought everyone was bored of superhero movies what happened[/QUOTE] large advertising campaigns
[QUOTE=salty peanut v2;35858212]the part where [sp]the Hulk did that thing, you know what I mean[/sp] was the funniest shit I've seen in a movie in years[/QUOTE] You can use the spoiler tags to post spoilers you know. You don't have to hide vague sentences that are not actually spoilers..
[QUOTE=salty peanut v2;35858212]the part where [sp]the Hulk did that thing, you know what I mean[/sp] was the funniest shit I've seen in a movie in years[/QUOTE] [sp]"I AM A GOD, AND SUCH FIGHTING IS BELOW ME, AND I-" Hulk then proceeds to beat him senseless like he's Bam-bam.[/sp] [editline]7th May 2012[/editline] [QUOTE=Colliseemoe;35858210]I read tons of Marvel comics as a kid and I've been dying to see this. I'm honestly not surprised it's doing so well. I hear people talking about it all over the place. And considering how many popular movies have led up to this, it's understandable.[/QUOTE] People have apparently been raving endlessly about Hunger Games, but when I finally saw that, I was disappointed, especially in comparison to the hype. Avengers made up for it, though.
Thor VS the hulk, Thor VS Iron man that shit was insane. I wish Stan Lee good health for centuries to come.
[QUOTE=Sanius;35858232]large advertising campaigns[/QUOTE] i can understand people seeing a film because of a large marketing campaign, but this entire thread is filled with 'best film ever 11/10' out of alot of the places on the internet, i thought fp would be blaming this film for the death of cinema or some hyperbolic garbage
[QUOTE=Hamsterjuice;35858261]i can understand people seeing a film because of a large marketing campaign, but this entire thread is filled with 'best film ever 11/10' out of alot of the places on the internet, i thought fp would be blaming this film for the death of cinema or some hyperbolic garbage[/QUOTE] I think you're mistaking FP for a community which appreciates intellectually stimulating films [editline]1[/editline] I was going to see it today but I felt like shit after work so I stopped caring
This movie is one of my favorite of all time. Fucking amazing doesn't even begin to describe .1% of this movie.
I usually don't go for movies, but this was absolutely fantastic. I saw Captain America when it came out and I was impressed, but this absolutely blew me away. Definitely go see it.
[IMG]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3hz3yab5V1rusxbqo1_500.jpg[/IMG] Honestly though, this movie is like a circlejerk of money. Hey, they did what they intended to do
Contributed to that. Such a good movie.
I was honestly surprised how well they managed to weave the aliens into the storyline and the payoff when they finally appear was a great visual treat as well. Robert Downey Jr. was also great in his role as Iron Man and so was Stellan Skarsgård even though his role was pretty minor.
The previous movies I saw in the marvel movieverse were pretty meh. I do love Joss Whedon though, so maybe I'll give Avengers a try.
I usually [i]hate[/i] super hero movies. They're always stupid and uninteresting to me. But Avengers was fucking incredible and I have not a single complaint. Super hero movie or not it was great.
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.