• Homeless man beats millions in fantasy league American football, accumalates $3,500
    32 replies, posted
[url=http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/world-of-sport/article/28797/]Source[/url] [quote]A homeless man beat over three million people in a fantasy American football league despite not even owning a computer. Nathan Harrington, a 33-year-old from Salem, Massachusetts had a run of bad luck after a car accident in 2009 left him with nerve damage and unable to work. He was then forced to leave the apartment he shared with his fiancée and their three-year-old son because the building was so infested with rats it became uninhabitable. His computer was put in storage as he was forced to live in cheap motels, but his fantasy team on ESPN's website kept picking up points and ended up beating 3.1 million people to become the best scoring team in the country. Harrington's prize for winning? A $3,500 gift certificate for a consumer electronics store, which he is selling to his mother for $2,500. He's going to use the cash to help move his family into a new apartment. "My fantasy football was the one thing that kind of seemed to be going right at the time," Harrington told the Salem News. "There was a lot to be upset about, but the one thing that was steady and heading in a positive direction was the fantasy football. So I thought I might as well stick with it and ride it out. Thank God I did." Fantasy American football is even more complex than the regular fantasy football people in Britain might be familiar with, as it involves drafts, the picking up of free agents, and constant team tweaking. Players can spend hours in front of their computers researching their teams. With no computer, Harrington had to improvise. He knocked on strangers' doors at his motel to ask if he could use their computer. He used the computer at a nursing home where his father was staying; he went to his mother's house, and once he even made his fiancée pull over at the library so he could use their computer. "She laughs about it now. But there were times when she was really mad at me," Harrington said. "Now though she says she's never going to say a word about fantasy football when I'm on the computer again."[/quote]
Misleading title. I thought he got in a fight and beat up millions of people
Nice.
Eh $3500 wont get you very far but good for him I guess.
Reminds me of my uncles, they're hardcore fantasy football players and heavily compete for prizes such as these.
[quote]Harrington's prize for winning? A $3,500 gift certificate for a consumer electronics store, which he is selling to his mother for $2,500.[/quote] wait, what?
Why is he homeless if he is unable to work due to a medical condition surely the goverment should be helping him?
Wow, his mother could atleast pay him for the entire card. What kind of mother rips off her homeless son.
[QUOTE=Kalibos;27581688]wait, what?[/QUOTE] he got a $3500 gift card and his mom is giving him $2500 for it. So he can spend it on something more useful then a TV or a Stereo or something
[QUOTE=dumbfox;27581748]Why is he homeless if he is unable to work due to a medical condition surely the goverment should be helping him?[/QUOTE] He is American (For idiots: Basically no free health care or something)
[QUOTE=Black-Ice;27581781]He is American (For idiots: Basically no free health care or something)[/QUOTE] Its called welfare, and we have it.
[QUOTE=dumbfox;27581748]Why is he homeless if he is unable to work due to a medical condition surely the goverment should be helping him?[/QUOTE] welcome to amerikkka :twisted:
I bet he's going to spend it on drugs.
[QUOTE=dumbfox;27581748]Why is he homeless if he is unable to work due to a medical condition surely the goverment should be helping him?[/QUOTE] I actually couldn't tell if that was serious or not, for it is America. Gave me a good laugh so thank you atleast.
[QUOTE=Still 09;27583761]I actually couldn't tell if that was serious or not, for it is America. Gave me a good laugh so thank you atleast.[/QUOTE] what
[QUOTE=Sparkwire;27583820]what[/QUOTE] He said the government should be helping the homeless man, but I'm seriously biased against capitalist welfare.
[QUOTE=dumbfox;27581748]Why is he homeless if he is unable to work due to a medical condition surely the goverment should be helping him?[/QUOTE] I'm pretty sure welfare isn't enough to pay for housing.
[QUOTE=POLOPOZOZO;27585108]I'm pretty sure welfare isn't enough to pay for housing.[/QUOTE] They give you money for different things, they don't just throw money at you.
2500 bucks is going to do jack shit for him and a goddamn corporate sponsored fantasy football bracket should have a waaay better prize than 3.5k...
[QUOTE=dumbfox;27581748]Why is he homeless if he is unable to work due to a medical condition surely the goverment should be helping him?[/QUOTE] Well we don't want them' lazy people leechin of our tax money god dangit, goddamn commies
[QUOTE=Still 09;27584249]biased against capitalist welfare.[/QUOTE] Capitalist welfare? :doh:
[QUOTE=johan_sm;27581539]Misleading title. I thought he got in a fight and beat up millions of people[/QUOTE] That would have been pretty cool to see. :frown:
2,500 dollars isn't gonna get him far, but at least he'll be able to eat for a while. It seems odd that his mom has thousands of dollars to spend on electronics but not enough to let his son stay under a roof.
[QUOTE=FuckGreenPeople;27583084]I bet he's going to spend it on drugs.[/QUOTE] Well, that's good, as long as it's not being wasted.
In my area, 2,500 dollars will pay for a 1 bedroom apartment for 5 months. That is pretty significant. Hopefully it'll give him a place to rest and get him back into the working world.
[QUOTE=Still 09;27584249]He said the government should be helping the homeless man, but I'm seriously biased against capitalist welfare.[/QUOTE] Why don't you go hurt your back in a car accident and then complain about welfare.
[QUOTE=Still 09;27583761]I actually couldn't tell if that was serious or not[/QUOTE] Helping the homeless is something so crazy you think hes joking?
Why do homeless people always win stuff?
[QUOTE=Niko Bellic;27598636]Why do homeless people always win stuff?[/QUOTE] They didn't win a home.
[QUOTE=Niko Bellic;27598636]Why do homeless people always win stuff?[/QUOTE] do you have any idea how horrific life is as a homeless person there's a tiny percentage of people that actually get anything like this
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.