• $500,000 Donated To Life Extension Research
    402 replies, posted
[QUOTE] 1. This week, Arizona-based businessman Jason Hope announced a $500,000 donation to SENS Foundation, a California-based non-profit organization that works to develop, promote and ensure widespread access to rejuvenation biotechnologies which comprehensively address age-related disease. “I have had great interest in the SENS Foundation and Dr. Aubrey de Grey's work for some time now. I believe their work is essential to the advancement of human medicine and their approach to the overall problem of human aging and its associated diseases (Alzheimer's, Atherosclerosis, Diabetes, etc.) is the only way to go. Their work and the work of others that they support will drive the complete redefinition and reshaping of the healthcare, pharmaceutical, and biotech industries as we know them today. The advancement of rejuvenation biotechnologies is not only extremely important, but it is the future. I am honored to support the SENS Foundation in its efforts, and hope my support helps drive faster results for all of humanity,” said Jason Hope. 2. The 70 year old president of Kazakhstan, Nursultan Nazarbayev, calls on new research institute to concentrate on study to unlock secret of immortality. There is the possibility that Nursultan Nazarbayev could provide a large amount of funding for SENS and related research. The Kazakhstan government has a $19 billion budget. 3. Peter Thiel Challenged Silicon Valley’s Wealthy to Back “Breakthrough” Philanthropic Causes [QUOTE] Peter Thiel, of PayPal fame, gathered eight of his favorite future-oriented organizations and a couple hundred of his wealthiest friends in an auditorium at San Francisco’s Palace of Fine Arts and made a magnanimous offer. For every dollar attendees contribute to the organizations before New Year’s Day, Thiel’s foundation announced, the billionaire investor-philanthropist will contribute another dollar, up to a limit of $1,000 per organization per attendee. If everyone who attended Thiel’s so-called “Breakthrough Philanthropy” event gives a full $8,000, Thiel could be on the hook for a lot of money. My own rough estimate is that 200 people were on hand—and 200 times $8,000 comes to $1.6 million. [so another $200,000 per charity could have been donated by the Thiel Foundation] It was a bold, assertive way to promote the fortunes of these unusual groups, which included the Foresight Institute, Humanity Plus, the Santa Fe Institute, the Seasteading Institute, the SENS Foundation, the Singularity Institute, Singularity University, and the X Prize Foundation. [/QUOTE] [/QUOTE] Source: [url]http://nextbigfuture.com/2010/12/sens-life-extension-research-gets.html[/url]
Awesome. There's so much more to learn, do and see than you could in a current lifetime, that's why I think life extension is important.
Pretty cool, although life extension is a risky path to take, as individuals exist for longer, requiring more resources to keep them alive, a very dangerous game to play in a world that's already struggling to sustain it's existing population. But it's still good good to see that they're using it to find fixes for those afflictions that plague the elderly, as quality is more or less better than quantity 9 times out of 10, especially in terms of the life experience. If you want my honest opinion, life extension is a science born from the fear of death, as our species has yet to fully discover whether there's an eternal nonexistence ahead of us when we die, or if there's some kind of continuation. Instead of helping us overcome our fear of the end, life extension simply delays the inevitable, coddling us against the eternal darkness that likely awaits all living things at the end of their journey. What we should be doing is researching whether or not there's such a thing as an afterlife, and if we can't find one after our best efforts fail us, we work towards inventing one, a place where the consciousness can exist forever without fear of oblivion, and without any significant requirements to maintain it. But back on topic, it's nice to know that there are people who want to help improve the quality and overall length of human life, even if it requires more resources.
How about that 500 MILLION that oil company wants to spend on Cheney? Can we use that for this please! [editline]11th December 2010[/editline] [QUOTE=ironman17;26623698]Pretty cool, although life extension is a risky path to take, as individuals exist for longer, requiring more resources to keep them alive, a very dangerous game to play in a world that's already struggling to sustain it's existing population. But it's still good good to see that they're using it to find fixes for those afflictions that plague the elderly, as quality is more or less better than quantity 9 times out of 10, especially in terms of the life experience. If you want my honest opinion, life extension is a science born from the fear of death, as our species has yet to fully discover whether there's an eternal nonexistence ahead of us when we die, or if there's some kind of continuation. Instead of helping us overcome our fear of the end, life extension simply delays the inevitable, coddling us against the eternal darkness that likely awaits all living things at the end of their journey. What we should be doing is researching whether or not there's such a thing as an afterlife, and if we can't find one after our best efforts fail us, we work towards inventing one, a place where the consciousness can exist forever without fear of oblivion, and without any significant requirements to maintain it. But back on topic, it's nice to know that there are people who want to help improve the quality and overall length of human life, even if it requires more resources.[/QUOTE] You make it sound like this would be universally accessable, I highly doubt African Tribesmen or Rice Farmers in China or Tow Truck Drivers in the US will be able to afford this. I'm sure you would need to be rather wealthy to afford this.
[QUOTE=ironman17;26623698]Pretty cool, although life extension is a risky path to take, as individuals exist for longer, requiring more resources to keep them alive, a very dangerous game to play in a world that's already struggling to sustain it's existing population. But it's still good good to see that they're using it to find fixes for those afflictions that plague the elderly, as quality is more or less better than quantity 9 times out of 10, especially in terms of the life experience. If you want my honest opinion, life extension is a science born from the fear of death, as our species has yet to fully discover whether there's an eternal nonexistence ahead of us when we die, or if there's some kind of continuation. Instead of helping us overcome our fear of the end, life extension simply delays the inevitable, coddling us against the eternal darkness that likely awaits all living things at the end of their journey. What we should be doing is researching whether or not there's such a thing as an afterlife, and if we can't find one after our best efforts fail us, we work towards inventing one, a place where the consciousness can exist forever without fear of oblivion, and without any significant requirements to maintain it. But back on topic, it's nice to know that there are people who want to help improve the quality and overall length of human life, even if it requires more resources.[/QUOTE] There are better ways of solving population problems than killing people.
[QUOTE=ironman17;26623698]Pretty cool, although life extension is a risky path to take, as individuals exist for longer, requiring more resources to keep them alive, a very dangerous game to play in a world that's already struggling to sustain it's existing population. But it's still good good to see that they're using it to find fixes for those afflictions that plague the elderly, as quality is more or less better than quantity 9 times out of 10, especially in terms of the life experience. If you want my honest opinion, life extension is a science born from the fear of death, as our species has yet to fully discover whether there's an eternal nonexistence ahead of us when we die, or if there's some kind of continuation. Instead of helping us overcome our fear of the end, life extension simply delays the inevitable, coddling us against the eternal darkness that likely awaits all living things at the end of their journey. What we should be doing is researching whether or not there's such a thing as an afterlife, and if we can't find one after our best efforts fail us, we work towards inventing one, a place where the consciousness can exist forever without fear of oblivion, and without any significant requirements to maintain it. But back on topic, it's nice to know that there are people who want to help improve the quality and overall length of human life, even if it requires more resources.[/QUOTE] Actually, Africa alone, if properly cultivated, could support Earth's entire population if issues such as poor distribution and theft were dealt with.
[QUOTE=ironman17;26623698]Pretty cool, although life extension is a risky path to take, as individuals exist for longer, requiring more resources to keep them alive, a very dangerous game to play in a world that's already struggling to sustain it's existing population. But it's still good good to see that they're using it to find fixes for those afflictions that plague the elderly, as quality is more or less better than quantity 9 times out of 10, especially in terms of the life experience. If you want my honest opinion, life extension is a science born from the fear of death, as our species has yet to fully discover whether there's an eternal nonexistence ahead of us when we die, or if there's some kind of continuation. Instead of helping us overcome our fear of the end, life extension simply delays the inevitable, coddling us against the eternal darkness that likely awaits all living things at the end of their journey. What we should be doing is researching whether or not there's such a thing as an afterlife, and if we can't find one after our best efforts fail us, we work towards inventing one, a place where the consciousness can exist forever without fear of oblivion, and without any significant requirements to maintain it. But back on topic, it's nice to know that there are people who want to help improve the quality and overall length of human life, even if it requires more resources.[/QUOTE] Once we get the technology to colonize and terraform other planets, overpopulation won't be a problem, which should be reached by the time we successfully create the first anti-age product.
All we need to do is pour a couple billion into this and NASA and we are good.
[QUOTE=RayDark;26624753]All we need to do is pour a couple billion into this and NASA and we are good.[/QUOTE] Fuck immortality I just want to go to space
[QUOTE=HAKKAR!!!;26624782]Fuck immortality I just want to go to space[/QUOTE] Space is worthless unless you're immortal. It takes millions of years to get anywhere.
[QUOTE=gamefreek76;26624824]Space is worthless unless you're immortal. It takes millions of years to get anywhere.[/QUOTE] No it does not :colbert:
Has anyone figured out banning alcohol and smoking will work?
[QUOTE=iRzilla;26624863]Has anyone figured out banning alcohol and smoking will work?[/QUOTE] But it won't. If it has to be explained then you just deserve a slap.
Will solve one or two things with long range space travel.
"100,000 deaths occur each year due to the effects of alcohol." "440,000 deaths each year are smoking-associated" That's without including all the ones with related to cancer.
[QUOTE=iRzilla;26624971]"100,000 deaths occur each year due to the effects of alcohol." "440,000 deaths each year are smoking-associated" That's without including all the ones with related to cancer.[/QUOTE] Only half a million? Fuck, I thought it would be more :geno:
[QUOTE=iRzilla;26624971]"100,000 deaths occur each year due to the effects of alcohol." "440,000 deaths each year are smoking-associated" That's without including all the ones with related to cancer.[/QUOTE] Congratulations, that makes more people live, not everyone live longer. Even without alcohol and tobacco people will usually max out their lives about 100, and the proceed to die. Besides you're determining what people can and cannot do with their bodies, which is fundamentally wrong.
Cool! Now I can become immortal and get the most amount of time ever spent on WoW!!!
Ho boy oh goody now i can live for 100000014321039412835879125 years doing nothing on my computer to "watch and see what events that might be interesting happening" while replacing my body parts with robot stuff because me living longer is more important than there being new generations of people who have different ideas helping humanity move forward!!!11
[QUOTE=gamefreek76;26624824]Space is worthless unless you're immortal. It takes millions of years to get anywhere.[/QUOTE] I want immortality and cell regeneration. Like a good-cancer that grows stem cells or something. And then I want to give it to everyone and finally we can get to the fucking space age.
[QUOTE=SM0K3 B4N4N4;26625480]Ho boy oh goody now i can live for 100000014321039412835879125 years doing nothing on my computer to "watch and see what events that might be interesting happening" while replacing my body parts with robot stuff because me living longer is more important than there being new generations of people who have different ideas helping humanity move forward!!!11[/QUOTE] Who's to say the current generations aren't capable of making new ideas? and who says people won't still have kids? Seriously why the fuck do people look on immortality negatively? You'll eventually be able to go around the solar system at least just moseying around colonising shit and generally being a space bad ass.
[QUOTE=Helix Alioth;26624528]Once we get the technology to colonize and terraform other planets, overpopulation won't be a problem, which should be reached by the time we successfully create the first anti-age product.[/QUOTE] This
[QUOTE=RayDark;26625483]I want immortality and cell regeneration. Like a good-cancer that grows stem cells or something. And then I want to give it to everyone and finally we can get to the fucking space age.[/QUOTE] Yeah but if you get actual cancer then the stem cells will help that. Just randomly starting to pump out stem cells would likely do far more harm than good.
Death is the worst thing ever and anything that makes it go away is good because I dont want to die ever [editline]11th December 2010[/editline] [QUOTE=bravehat;26625578]Who's to say the current generations aren't capable of making new ideas? and who says people won't still have kids? Seriously why the fuck do people look on immortality negatively? You'll eventually be able to go around the solar system at least just moseying around colonising shit and generally being a space bad ass.[/QUOTE] The human brain can only develope so far, we only have the capability to make so many synapses, unless you have no problem with wiping your memories every now and then or just transfer your consciousness over to a machine (which is really super cool because who wants to be human and have all these experiences and have sex and raise a family amirite?). But seriously no matter how "open minded" you think you are eventually when you get old you're going to be less accepting of new ideas even if you're the coolest old person ever.
[QUOTE=SM0K3 B4N4N4;26625660]Death is the worst thing ever and anything that makes it go away is good because I dont want to die ever [editline]11th December 2010[/editline] The human brain can only develope so far, we only have the capability to make so many synapses, unless you have no problem with wiping your memories every now and then or just transfer your consciousness over to a machine (which is really super cool because who wants to be human and have all these experiences and have sex and raise a family amirite?). But seriously no matter how "open minded" you think you are eventually when you get old you're going to be less accepting of new ideas even if you're the coolest old person ever.[/QUOTE] Darpa is working out a fix to that issue, they're working on a secondary storage device for the brain, all you have to do is wire it into the brain.
also overpopulation, if everyone lives forever and we continue to have kids then we will continue to use mass amounts of resources even if we colonize all the habitable or at least bearable planets in our solar system and a couple others. We will eventually become like a disease going through star systems and using up all the resources because we live so long and still have lots of kids.
[QUOTE=bravehat;26625725]Darpa is working out a fix to that issue, they're working on a secondary storage device for the brain, all you have to do is wire it into the brain.[/QUOTE] Link? I wanna see this
[QUOTE=SM0K3 B4N4N4;26625660]Death is the worst thing ever and anything that makes it go away is good because I dont want to die ever [editline]11th December 2010[/editline] The human brain can only develope so far, we only have the capability to make so many synapses, unless you have no problem with wiping your memories every now and then or just transfer your consciousness over to a machine (which is really super cool because who wants to be human and have all these experiences and have sex and raise a family amirite?). But seriously no matter how "open minded" you think you are eventually when you get old you're going to be less accepting of new ideas even if you're the coolest old person ever.[/QUOTE] Hardware + AI interweaved with the human brain could solve these problems or allow for the download of the entire of human history and scientific research instantly available to each human. It'd also create the largest and most powerful distributed computing network ever and possibly allow for real democracy, by finding out exactly what people want and solving individual issues on a country-wide level.
[QUOTE=ironman17;26623698]Pretty cool, although life extension is a risky path to take, as individuals exist for longer, requiring more resources to keep them alive, a very dangerous game to play in a world that's already struggling to sustain it's existing population. But it's still good good to see that they're using it to find fixes for those afflictions that plague the elderly, as quality is more or less better than quantity 9 times out of 10, especially in terms of the life experience. If you want my honest opinion, life extension is a science born from the fear of death, as our species has yet to fully discover whether there's an eternal nonexistence ahead of us when we die, or if there's some kind of continuation. Instead of helping us overcome our fear of the end, life extension simply delays the inevitable, coddling us against the eternal darkness that likely awaits all living things at the end of their journey. What we should be doing is researching whether or not there's such a thing as an afterlife, and if we can't find one after our best efforts fail us, we work towards inventing one, a place where the consciousness can exist forever without fear of oblivion, and without any significant requirements to maintain it. But back on topic, it's nice to know that there are people who want to help improve the quality and overall length of human life, even if it requires more resources.[/QUOTE] what the fuck are you on We have to invent the afterlife because immortality is impossible? What?
[QUOTE=bravehat;26625725]Darpa is working out a fix to that issue, they're working on a secondary storage device for the brain, all you have to do is wire it into the brain.[/QUOTE] yes because I totally want to carry around a hard drive/have something protruding out of my head so I can have more memory, that's totally what I want to be eventually a cyborg that lives forever and is a burden on future generations with my old ideas.
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.