• $500,000 Donated To Life Extension Research
    402 replies, posted
[QUOTE=Tinter;26628094][url]http://www.cracked.com/article_18708_5-reasons-immortality-would-be-worse-than-death.html[/url] I know it's a cracked article but it still holds some points though. Although 4 is invalid if everybody becomes immortal.[/QUOTE] 5. doesnt because with science there kind of either be no evolution or you can change your body to match the new humans 3. its better to have to go throw something twice then it is to have not be able to do anything at all. not to mention science will always make something new 2. everyone else will also be imortal with you 1. in the far future your mind will not be in just one body. all these only count if your the only person who is imortal
[QUOTE=carcarcargo;26628199]But in our world of morals it is bad, and should be seen as bad.[/QUOTE] Yeah, but it's open to change. That's why it's important that we have new generations as frequently as we do, so we can have new perspectives. Human kind is great because it's flexible, the fact that we die and are reborn every 100 years is an important aspect of that.
[QUOTE=Pythagoras;26628251]Yeah, but it's open to change. That's why it's important that we have new generations as frequently as we do, so we can have new perspectives on right and wrong.[/QUOTE] thats what science is for. you dont have to keep the same opinion all your life. many people change there minds about things when new information is there
[QUOTE=Pythagoras;26628251]Yeah, but it's open to change. That's why it's important that we have new generations as frequently as we do, so we can have new perspectives.[/QUOTE] No, as soon as you go into a logically run world the little people get stamped on, we need morals to keep a fair society.
[QUOTE=carcarcargo;26628311]No, as soon as you go into a logically run world the little people get stamped on, we need morals to keep a fair society.[/QUOTE] Once again you're speaking from a biased viewpoint. In a logical world, little people get stamped on. This sounds terrible in a moral world, but in a logical world it would be okay. There would be absolutely nothing wrong with it because the little people would understand, that logically, they're only a small part of an even bigger picture. They wouldn't have morals to make it morally objectionable. I'm not trying to advocate that one or the other is better, but you can't make claims about a logically run world when your life is defined by morals. It just doesn't work.
[QUOTE=Pythagoras;26628386]Once again you're speaking from a biased viewpoint. In a logical world, little people get stamped on. This sounds terrible in a moral world, but in a logical world it would be okay. There would be absolutely nothing wrong with it because the little people would understand, that logically, they're only a small part of an even bigger picture.[/QUOTE] I disagree, since there tend to be more little people than big, and the ones who get the short straw tend to want fairness, eventually people would bring back morals no matter what way you go around it.
[QUOTE=Pythagoras;26628386]Once again you're speaking from a biased viewpoint. In a logical world, little people get stamped on. This sounds terrible in a moral world, but in a logical world it would be okay. There would be absolutely nothing wrong with it because the little people would understand, that logically, they're only a small part of an even bigger picture. They wouldn't have morals to make it morally objectionable. I'm not trying to advocate that one or the other is better, but you can't make claims about a logically run world when your life is defined by morals. It just doesn't work.[/QUOTE] We do not understand what a logical society would do because we are not a totally logic-based society, we are a mixture of logic and morals. Morality is what makes us human, and the next step, is immortality.
[QUOTE=Robber;26626825]That's like saying grass is a disease because it spreads all over the earth. Humans spreading through out the galaxy(ies?) would make the galaxy more awesome, not destroy it.[/QUOTE] We will have to use resources like a bitch to keep an exponentially growing population that doesn't die for a long time alive and comfortable and will have to move new people to new planets every century and eventually every generation, and people can't adapt to new environments that quickly and tend to get sentimental. I have nothing against living for a couple hundred years, maybe even 300 but once you start getting into the thousands you start to run into a large amount of problems.
and thats why people decide to not have children. I think by the time we become completely immortal we would not really want to have sex or babies
[QUOTE=SM0K3 B4N4N4;26628618]We will have to use resources like a bitch to keep an exponentially growing population that doesn't die for a long time alive and comfortable and will have to move new people to new planets every century and eventually every generation, and people can't adapt to new environments that quickly and tend to get sentimental. I have nothing against living for a couple hundred years, maybe even 300 but once you start getting into the thousands you start to run into a large amount of problems.[/QUOTE] Exactly. A human who has lived hundreds of years on earth, and now needs to leave to go live on other planets is going to have a far harder time adapting than a newborn would who's only experience is of the new world. [QUOTE=imasillypiggy;26628296]thats what science is for. you dont have to keep the same opinion all your life. many people change there minds about things when new information is there[/QUOTE] But people do keep their opinions. The human mind starts to get terrible at adapting to new concepts later in life. There's so much information, that the brain simply can't process anything that doesn't fit into their view of the world. Right now, a human couldn't possibly understand the concept of a fourth dimension in any sort of tangible way, but perhaps someday there will be generations who have had to work with the fourth dimension in everything they do, and it will become a part of how their brain works. Likewise, and older person today couldn't possibly understand how to use a computer as well as somebody who has used one since childhood.
[QUOTE=Pythagoras;26628679]Exactly. A human who has lived hundreds of years on earth, and now needs to leave to go live on other planets is going to have a far harder time adapting than a newborn would who's only experience is of the new world.[/QUOTE] when we can just go to other planets that easily. are bodies wouldnt even be biological anymore and because of that I dont think we would really care were we have to go
[QUOTE=imasillypiggy;26628661]and thats why people decide to not have children. I think by the time we become completely immortal we would not really want to have sex or babies[/QUOTE] Again. WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT! Dunno about you, but I will still have my instincts, immortality doesn't mean we suddenly lose our fundamental drives asshat, I'll still wanna have sex, and I'm sure at some point I'll finally decide to have kids.
I'm fine with being a test subject for them.
[QUOTE=imasillypiggy;26628717]when we can just go to other planets that easily. are bodies wouldnt even be biological anymore and because of that I dont think we would really care were we have to go[/QUOTE] When humans become completely logical computers, who can process new information as easily as they could when they were created, then yes we will have outgrown the need to reproduce. Until then, we need new generations with fresh perspectives, or else we'll all turn into crotchety old men complaining that the universe is too complex for us to understand.
Youd get cancer from life extending treatments.
[QUOTE=TheForeigner;26628845]Youd get cancer from life extending treatments.[/QUOTE] :frog: Because you know everything about life extending treatments? Who cares anyway, because by that time cancer would be cured.
[QUOTE=TheForeigner;26628845]Youd get cancer from life extending treatments.[/QUOTE] No you wouldn't, assuming the treatments include strengthening the immune system to have cancer identifying cells, and then killing the cancer. A novel idea would be having gold in the blood, and having the body release thermal radiation of a certain wavelength that would super heat high concentrations of gold, thanks to the structure of tumours they would be cooked alive while the rest of the body is perfectly fine.
If immortality is finally achieved we'll see condom companies making a lot of money.
[QUOTE=bravehat;26628754]Again. WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT! Dunno about you, but I will still have my instincts, immortality doesn't mean we suddenly lose our fundamental drives asshat, I'll still wanna have sex, and I'm sure at some point I'll finally decide to have kids.[/QUOTE] good thing your not immortal then. By the time humans could become totally immortal then we will not have those
[QUOTE=imasillypiggy;26629003]good thing your not immortal then. By the time humans could become totally immortal then we will not have those[/QUOTE] People will still have intercourse.
[QUOTE=Pythagoras;26628837] Until then, we need new generations with fresh perspectives, or else we'll all turn into crotchety old men complaining that the universe is too complex for us to understand.[/QUOTE] you dont have to be a computer to not be stubborn. many humans change there view opinions many times in there life. as time goes on we see how science is playing a bigger part of are culture and in a 100 years i bet people will not be so stubborn as to believe the things they used to. [editline]11th December 2010[/editline] [QUOTE=RayDark;26629059]People will still have intercourse.[/QUOTE] and thats what condom was used for
[QUOTE=imasillypiggy;26629079]you dont have to be a computer to not be stubborn. many humans change there view opinions many times in there life. as time goes on we see how science is playing a bigger part of are culture and in a 100 years i bet people will not be so stubborn as to believe the things they used to. [editline]11th December 2010[/editline] and thats what condom was used for[/QUOTE] And babies, mind you.
So that guys now first inline for when they do work it out.
[QUOTE=bravehat;26628754]Again. WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT! Dunno about you, but I will still have my instincts, immortality doesn't mean we suddenly lose our fundamental drives asshat, I'll still wanna have sex, and I'm sure at some point I'll finally decide to have kids.[/QUOTE] true immortality, like living forever would REQUIRE you to lose your fundamental drives, because a lot of instinct and basic human feelings and thought depend heavily on chemicals that affect the brain called hormones. No matter what the human body will break down eventually, it isn't designed to live forever like a jelly fish or one of those long living crustaceans. To live forever you would have to do away with a lot of what makes you human, which includes those hormones. Aging is only part of the process that leads to death, even with it gone the human body will still get weaker and the body will function less and less efficiently.
Zombie Apocalypse, calling it now. Or it could just end like that game called "One Chance": [URL]http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/555181[/URL]
<snip>
[QUOTE=imasillypiggy;26629003]good thing your not immortal then. By the time humans could become totally immortal then we will not have those[/QUOTE] Why the fuck is that a bad thing? It produces further genetic diversion in the human species, stop people having kids and you produce stagnation the very thing you are trying to stop. Don't be an idiot, people will never give up having sex or kids. [editline]11th December 2010[/editline] [QUOTE=SM0K3 B4N4N4;26629290]true immortality, like living forever would REQUIRE you to lose your fundamental drives, because a lot of instinct and basic human feelings and thought depend heavily on chemicals that affect the brain called hormones. No matter what the human body will break down eventually, it isn't designed to live forever like a jelly fish or one of those long living crustaceans. To live forever you would have to do away with a lot of what makes you human, which includes those hormones. Aging is only part of the process that leads to death, even with it gone the human body will still get weaker and the body will function less and less efficiently.[/QUOTE] No you fucking wouldn't, maintain those systems and you are fine. Where the fuck are people getting all these fuckin preconceptions from? Oh you can't have kids, oh you'll have to lose your hormones and instincts, oh no more morals for you. Humans living forever are still humans for fuck sake, people aren't gonna spontaneously gonna stop having sex, they're not spontaneously gonna become world war 2 folk shouting "BACK IN MY DAY!" For fuck sake people you're being point blank retarded.
[QUOTE=bravehat;26629328]Why the fuck is that a bad thing? It produces further genetic diversion in the human species, stop people having kids and you produce stagnation the very thing you are trying to stop. Don't be an idiot, people will never give up having sex or kids. [/QUOTE] I never said people would have to not have children but on average a lot less people would if they were educated. also genetic diversity would be meaningless if we were immortal. also whats with the rage? also whats so hard about adoption?
[QUOTE=Eudoxia;26624834]No it does not :colbert:[/QUOTE] Let me expand on that [quote]Space is worthless unless you're immortal. It takes millions of years to get anywhere [B]important or useful[/B].[/quote]
[QUOTE=imasillypiggy;26629488]I never said people would have to not have children but on average a lot less people would if they were educated. also genetic diversity would be meaningless if we were immortal. also whats with the rage? also whats so hard about adoption?[/QUOTE] Cause everyone will still have kids, immortal or not, its a massive basic drive to spread your genes. Education ain't got shit to do with this, educated or not you are a slave to your instincts. And you do know that immortals will have kids who aren't immortal, when they kids hit 18 or so they'll be given the choice to become immortal. And the rage is because there are countless people in this thread spouting horseshit about how people will suddenly stop having kids, how this will cause cancer, and how this is a bad thing.
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.