• $500,000 Donated To Life Extension Research
    402 replies, posted
[QUOTE=bravehat;26629328] Humans living forever are still humans for fuck sake, people aren't gonna spontaneously gonna stop having sex[/QUOTE] menopause
[QUOTE=bravehat;26629646]Cause everyone will still have kids, immortal or not, its a massive basic .[/QUOTE] sex is a drive, having kids is not. many people (especially smarter people) choose to not have kids.
[QUOTE=SM0K3 B4N4N4;26629661]menopause[/QUOTE] Stop aging at 18. Oh what's that menopause, you're not a problem anymore? Well fuck me seven ways from sunday that was difficult.
[QUOTE=bravehat;26628754]Again. WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT! Dunno about you, but I will still have my instincts, immortality doesn't mean we suddenly lose our fundamental drives asshat, I'll still wanna have sex, and I'm sure at some point I'll finally decide to have kids.[/QUOTE] The solution is pretty simple, sterilize anybody who to becomes immortal. For the most part, you could have as much unprotected sex as you want without getting anybody pregnant, or getting pregnant. Though I doubt we'll see any "one" transition towards immortality, it'll likely start with modest life extensions and such. But, if at one point it were possible to become truly immortal, then sterilization seems like a feasible way to go. Men can always freeze sperm before they get a vasectomy, and women can always get "reconnected" if they really need to after tubal ligation.
[QUOTE=SM0K3 B4N4N4;26629661]menopause[/QUOTE] For fuck's sake if someone has to remind you again that we can theoretically regenerate our bodies I'm going to punch a small african child in the face.
[QUOTE=imasillypiggy;26629707]sex is a drive, having kids is not. many people (especially smarter people) choose to not have kids.[/QUOTE] Those people are denying instinct and as such are removed from the species because of it. Are you not seeing how this works? Right: 1. Person decides to have sex 2. Impregnation occurs. 3. Child is brought into the world kicking and screaming 4. The mother and father genes are preserved Now if step 2 does not occur then step 4 doesn't and that means the person who decides to not have a kid is removed from the future genepool, meaning the only ones who remain have the drive to have kids. SIMPLE AMIRITE GUYS?
[QUOTE=bravehat;26629802]Those people are denying instinct and as such are removed from the species because of it. Are you not seeing how this works? Right: 1. Person decides to have sex 2. Impregnation occurs. 3. Child is brought into the world kicking and screaming 4. The mother and father genes are preserved Now if step 2 does not occur then step 4 doesn't and that means the person who decides to not have a kid is removed from the future genepool, meaning the only ones who remain have the drive to have kids. SIMPLE AMIRITE GUYS?[/QUOTE] Sterilization...
[QUOTE=hypno-toad;26629746]The solution is pretty simple, sterilize anybody who to becomes immortal. For the most part, you could have as much unprotected sex as you want without getting anybody pregnant, or getting pregnant. Though I doubt we'll see any "one" transition towards immortality, it'll likely start with modest life extensions and such. But, if at one point it were possible to become truly immortal, then sterilization seems like a feasible way to go. Men can always freeze sperm before they get a vasectomy, and women can always get "reconnected" if they really need to after tubal ligation.[/QUOTE] How about this instead, crazy idea but here we go. We prefect cryogenics and then go explore the galaxy with the aid of machines and bio-engineering. Fucking crazy aye? :v:
[QUOTE=bravehat;26629802]Those people are denying instinct and as such are removed from the species because of it. Are you not seeing how this works? Right: 1. Person decides to have sex 2. Impregnation occurs. 3. Child is brought into the world kicking and screaming 4. The mother and father genes are preserved Now if step 2 does not occur then step 4 doesn't and that means the person who decides to not have a kid is removed from the future genepool, meaning the only ones who remain have the drive to have kids. SIMPLE AMIRITE GUYS?[/QUOTE] not wanting kids is not in the genes. If it were then you would not see an increase in people who dont want to have kids. in fact you would not see anyone not want have kids at all
That is fucking crazy. While the idea of immortality is feasible, and may even be possible within our lifetimes, cryogenic freezing and suspended animation is really just a dream. its not really just about space exploration, either. Living forever would have many great ramifications, especially for scientists, authors, artists, and engineers. You'd see those types of people perform amazing stuff when they aren't bound to the rules of age, they can gain great wisdom and knowledge and never die with it. death and disabilities are really the only thing that have hampered the greatest minds in our history. Imagine what Albert Einstein would accomplish if he had lived for 2000 years.
[QUOTE=bravehat;26629739]Stop aging at 18. Oh what's that menopause, you're not a problem anymore? Well fuck me seven ways from sunday that was difficult.[/QUOTE] Press pause again, problem solved.
[QUOTE=imasillypiggy;26629863]not wanting kids is not in the genes. If it were then you would not see an increase in people who dont want to have kids. in fact you would not see anyone not want have kids at all[/QUOTE] Care to hazard a guess why it's not in the genes? :v: Care to hazard a guess why we as a species have a collective father and mother instinct?
[QUOTE=imasillypiggy;26628231]5. doesnt because with science there kind of either be no evolution or you can change your body to match the new humans 3. its better to have to go throw something twice then it is to have not be able to do anything at all. not to mention science will always make something new 2. everyone else will also be imortal with you 1. in the far future your mind will not be in just one body. all these only count if your the only person who is imortal[/QUOTE] It's kinda hard to understand what you're saying but left me try and come up with an counter argument. 5. I guess you're kinda right, I don't understand evolution fully. I can't support or disprove of this one. 3. I didn't really understand what you were saying. Could you please rephrase that? 2. I can see what you're meaning, but what it states in the article is mostly about other people who aren't immortal. However because you're immortal and keep ageing you would easily lose track of time, and it wouldn't be that cool. 1. This one really depends on what they mean when they say immortality, what I think they're currently researching is not dying of old age. If that's the case, then this point is void.
[QUOTE=hypno-toad;26629882]That is fucking crazy. While the idea of immortality is feasible, and may even be possible within our lifetimes, cryogenic freezing and suspended animation is really just a dream. its not really just about space exploration, either. Living forever would have many great ramifications, especially for scientists, authors, artists, and engineers. You'd see those types of people perform amazing stuff when they aren't bound to the rules of age, they can gain great wisdom and knowledge and never die with it.[/QUOTE] Arctic flounder produce a biological antifreeze which stops ice crystals forming in cells of their bodies, they then go into cryogenic stasis at the bottom of the Arctic ocean, they then wake up and go about their business. Dude it's possible, we just need to adapt our DNA for it. Nothing is impossible, just incredibly unlikely.
I disagree with life extention, we have good lives as it is.
Don't worry everyone, I'm sure the third world war or some new plague will solve all of our overpopulation issues sooner or later :buddy:
[QUOTE=bravehat;26629977] Dude it's possible, we just need to adapt our DNA for it. [/QUOTE] That's easier said than done. Aging IS very easy to correct in comparison, since aging varies greatly in different mammals. At any rate, it doesn't matter. Suffering and starvation is a small price to pay for the ramifications of eternal life. Suffering and starvation has, and always will be around, but if people were not confined to die of old age, so much would get accomplished, hell, solutions to the whole resource problem could even get made.
[QUOTE=bravehat;26629916]Care to hazard a guess why it's not in the genes? :v: Care to hazard a guess why we as a species have a collective father and mother instinct?[/QUOTE] Why do we want to have kids? well its just a thing culture showed us to do. The same reason why we marry. It also probably has something to do with not wanting to die, so you put your thoughts and genes into another human being. really why do you think some people dont have kids? why do you think some people have abortions? [editline]11th December 2010[/editline] [QUOTE=Tinter;26629975]It's kinda hard to understand what you're saying but left me try and come up with an counter argument. 5. I guess you're kinda right, I don't understand evolution fully. I can't support or disprove of this one. 3. I didn't really understand what you were saying. Could you please rephrase that? 2. I can see what you're meaning, but what it states in the article is mostly about other people who aren't immortal. However because you're immortal and keep ageing you would easily lose track of time, and it wouldn't be that cool. 1. This one really depends on what they mean when they say immortality, what I think they're currently researching is not dying of old age. If that's the case, then this point is void.[/QUOTE] 3 most people would rather have to see a trend in life and do something over and over then be dead. also since science changes the culture you would still being seeing new things. the rest of the stuff would not apply if you everyone else was immortal
[QUOTE=Bepo5;26630031]Don't worry everyone, I'm sure the third world war or some new plague will solve all of our overpopulation issues sooner or later :buddy:[/QUOTE] There's no such thing as overpopulation. Populations are defined by the amount of resources that go around. over the span of 100 years (which may seem like a long time to a person) populations will fluctuate greatly depending on what is available to people. If people don't have the capacity to breed, then for all intents and purposes they will not breed. Overpopulation is not solved in one fell swoop, people will just eventually start to die over time, and no offspring will replace them.
I don't really want to live longer than 70 years.
[QUOTE=imasillypiggy;26630083]Why do we want to have kids? well its just a thing culture showed us to do. The same reason why we marry. It also probably has something to do with not wanting to die, so you put your thoughts and genes into another human being. really why do you think some people dont have kids? why do you think some people have abortions? [editline]11th December 2010[/editline] 3 most people would rather have to see a trend in life and do something over and over then be dead. also since science changes the culture you would still being seeing new things. the rest of the stuff would not apply if you everyone else was immortal[/QUOTE] No we have fucking kids cause it's a hard wired species instinct. Seriously, if we didn't have that instinct we wouldn't be here we would have fucking died out. Look at the pandas, they don't want to fuck and that is one of the major reasons they are almost extinct, we are the only reason they have survived at all. People have abortions because they aren't ready or able to take care of a kid, I know a few people who have had abortions they all said they would keep it if they could, but they just can't cause they aren't fit to take care of a kid. And no we don't have kids as our way of surviving, it's to push our genes through to a surviving generation, it's evolution and just because people may not die as often that doesn't mean it will stop, slow down or stagnate. [highlight]PAGE KING MOTHERFUCKERS GOD DAMN I'M AWESOME!!!![/highlight] :pcgaming:
[QUOTE=bravehat;26630228]No we have fucking kids cause it's a hard wired species instinct. Seriously, if we didn't have that instinct we wouldn't be here we would have fucking died out. Look at the pandas, they don't want to fuck and that is one of the major reasons they are almost extinct, we are the only reason they have survived at all. People have abortions because they aren't ready or able to take care of a kid, I know a few people who have had abortions they all said they would keep it if they could, but they just can't cause they aren't fit to take care of a kid. And no we don't have kids as our way of surviving, it's to push our genes through to a surviving generation, it's evolution and just because people may not die as often that doesn't mean it will stop, slow down or stagnate.[/QUOTE] Some people just love children and think they're really cute and yeah
I want to subscribe to bravehat's posts hnnng
[QUOTE=UnknownDude;26630197]I don't really want to live longer than 70 years.[/QUOTE] That's a fundamentally stupid thing to say. Im making an assumption about your character here, but the only reason you don't want to live forever is because you assume in your lifespan, you will need to: - Be born - Go to school - Get a job - Find a home - Have kids - Retire - Die And I agree, that's a pretty mundane and linear life. But, if the cycle were like this: - Be born - Go to school - Wander around nature and society for a few decades - Master an Art or Science - Create and innovate - Do whatever you want forever Life turns from a linear and predictable story, into an immortal sandbox of learning and experience. As of now, the only way to a legacy is to have children, and everything else in life is based on succeeding and repoducing. if YOU were your legacy, and you were LIVING your legacy, then there'd be no need for any of that. I think your opinion may change. If your opinion doesn't change, then obviously you have quite a bleak view of your limitations. the only thing that holds me back from doing whatever I want to do, is the fact that I'm going to die, and at that point nothing I ever did or could have done will matter, Immortality would nullify that point.
[QUOTE=bravehat;26630228]No we have fucking kids cause it's a hard wired species instinct. Seriously, if we didn't have that instinct we wouldn't be here we would have fucking died out. Look at the pandas, they don't want to fuck and that is one of the major reasons they are almost extinct, we are the only reason they have survived at all. People have abortions because they aren't ready or able to take care of a kid, I know a few people who have had abortions they all said they would keep it if they could, but they just can't cause they aren't fit to take care of a kid. And no we don't have kids as our way of surviving, it's to push our genes through to a surviving generation, it's evolution and just because people may not die as often that doesn't mean it will stop, slow down or stagnate.[/QUOTE] remember when I said sex was a drive? sex makes children but it doesnt have to. explain this to me. I dont want to have a child, either does my cousin a lot of my smarter friends also dont want to have kids. are we genetically different? if so how the fuck did this gene pass if we do not reproduce? we will take care of a child once we have it and we will want to have sex which produces the child but genetically we do not have to have a child. thats what sex is for and are genes have not figured out that we can have sex without children. pandas do not want to have sex. we do but sex doesnt mean babies for us. im sorry for some repetition but you didnt get it last time I posted so im going to say it again
If you don't die then you have no reason to do a lot of shit that society has us do.
Let's all agree on one point, immortality is needed for technological super-advancement within a small amount of generations, yeah?
[QUOTE=imasillypiggy;26630083] 3 most people would rather have to see a trend in life and do something over and over then be dead. also since science changes the culture you would still being seeing new things. the rest of the stuff would not apply if you everyone else was immortal[/QUOTE] I can see what you mean but you would be having a hard time remembering things. The rest of the stuff still applies even if everybody else is immortal. Time would still be speeding up as you get older, but that's really the only one I can support.
[QUOTE=RayDark;26630376]Let's all agree on one point, immortality is needed for technological super-advancement within a small amount of generations, yeah?[/QUOTE] Precisely. If immortality were possible, then it would basically place our benchmark in the universe, there would be no need for life, death, or survival, all there would be is accomplishments and aspirations for eternity. Effectively, it's creating true sentience and omnipotence, in a way.
[QUOTE=imasillypiggy;26630324]remember when I said sex was a drive? sex makes children but it doesnt have to. explain this to me. I dont want to have a child, either does my cousin a lot of my smarter friends also dont want to have kids. are we genetically different? if so how the fuck did this gene pass if we do not reproduce? we will take care of a child once we have it and we will want to have sex which produces the child but genetically we do not have to have a child. thats what sex is for and are genes have not figured out that we can have sex without children. pandas do not want to have sex. we do but sex doesnt mean babies for us. im sorry for some repetition but you didnt get it last time I posted so im going to say it again[/QUOTE] There is a fundamental basic drive that when you meet a fitting person says to you "Look at that person asshole you see her, she's attractive right, go fuck her senseless" If a relationship follows, then there's likely to be a kid. The two drives are sort of separate, but interlinked, either way don't know about you but at some point in time I fancy having kids, if you want to let your spunk go to waste, be my guest.
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.