• In the year 3991 AD there is only war - Ten year game of Civ II results in an endless nuclear war fe
    209 replies, posted
[QUOTE]What happens when you play a single game of Civilization II across ten long years? Well, carpal tunnel syndrome and a lifelong fear of pixels smaller than than the size of a fist. Also, an in-game world which is “a hellish nightmare of suffering and devastation”, riddled with nuclear fallout and caught in a terrible stalemate between three ultra-nations which have been at war for millennia. All this comes from a terrific Reddit post, wherein one Lycerius documents the world he’s made after a good decade of continuing to play on and on and on and on, and currently sitting unhappily in the year 3991. Here’s what it looks like, complete with some captioning: Lycerius is playing as the Celts, with only Vikings and Americans otherwise remaining. Each of these three nations are “competing for the scant resources left on the planet after dozens of nuclear wars have rendered vast swaths of the world uninhabitable wastelands.” They’ve been at war for 1700 years, and “peace seems to be impossible. Every time a cease fire is signed, the Vikings will surprise attack me or the Americans the very next turn, often with nuclear weapons. Even when the U.N forces a peace treaty. So I can only assume that peace will come only when they’re wiped out.” Trouble is, due to the prevalence of nukes and that each nation is now completely evenly-matched in terms of technology, there appears to be a perfect stalemate. Each nation is constantly and expensively streaming out new military units, as to cease doing so means becoming the weaker party. “This also means that cities are not only tiny towns full of starving people, but that you can never improve the city. “So you want a granary so you can eat? Sorry; I have to build another tank instead. Maybe next time.” So, what happens next? Is this dark future to be endless? Is this cycle of war, starvation and fallout really the fate of humanity? This player of games has other plans. “My goal for the next few years is to try and end the war and thus use the engineers to clear swamps and fallout so that farming may resume. I want to rebuild the world. But I’m not sure how. If any of you old Civ II players have any advice, I’m listening.” Read much more, and ask Lycerius questions about his endless campaign, [URL="http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/uxpil/ive_been_playing_the_same_game_of_civilization_ii/"]here.[/URL][/QUOTE] Source: [URL="http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/06/12/fate-of-the-world-the-decade-long-game-of-civ-ii/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+RockPaperShotgun+%28Rock%2C+Paper%2C+Shotgun%29&utm_content=Google+Reader"]RockPaperShotgun[/URL] [B]UPDATE:[/B] He's uploaded the save, [url]http://www.reddit.com/r/theeternalwar/comments/uyswv/here_it_is/[/url]
Holy shit.
I really don't see how he's going to be able to work out a peace in there.
do the game for like 50 years and post results
I have a suspicion that our own future is going to go something like that. :v:
Sounds straight out the world of 1984, with three big nations constantly at war. Pretty damn cool
I wish I was part of an epic tale such as this.
Wait 10 years as in 10 REAL LIFE YEARS?
[QUOTE=DrugUnit;36305637]Wait 10 years as in 10 REAL LIFE YEARS?[/QUOTE]Yep, he played Civ II on and off for ten years, with the same world.
This is so freaking sad. I wonder what the guy looks like... no social life.
[I]Those fucking vikings[/I] I wonder why a truce between America and the Celts so they could team up against the Vikings wouldn't work. Well, besides the fact that America, fittingly, is a theocracy, and the Celts are a communist dictatorship. Actually, nevermind, that's probably why.
That's pretty damn awesome. I love long games that have time to develop, though I can't possibly see myself having the patience to keep going that long. Sadly the game isn't a very good simulation. Even humans get war fatigue (even though we are kinda made for war), after 1700 years of war, starvation and stuff, the nations would just declare peace, even if only for a few years.
[QUOTE=Atlascore;36305655]Yep, he played Civ II on and off for ten years, with the same world.[/QUOTE] Actually the article says he's been playing "for on and on and on and on" :v:
[QUOTE=acds;36305669]That's pretty damn awesome. I love long games that have time to develop, though I can't possibly see myself having the patience to keep going that long. Sadly the game isn't a very good simulation. Even humans get war fatigue (even though we are kinda made for war), after 1700 years of war, starvation and stuff, the nations would just declare peace, even if only for a few years.[/QUOTE]Well, it's been a nuclear war the whole time, 90% of the population was killed off and the ice caps melted twenty times. I'm pretty sure no one would be left to declare peace. :v:
[QUOTE=Mr. Sun;36305663]This is so freaking sad. I wonder what the guy looks like... no social life.[/QUOTE] Uh you've probably been gaming for the past 10 years. What do you look like? He loads up his Civ game and plays for an hour or so and then quits until tomorrow. [QUOTE=acds;36305669] (even though we are kinda made for war)[/QUOTE] No we're not. The people who actually fight the wars (not the politicians who think they know best) usually come home extremely fucked in the head or don't even come home at all. Look at things such as the Syria and Libya conflicts where portions of the military force actually turned on the government because they didn't want to slaughter their own people.
[QUOTE=Mr. Sun;36305663]This is so freaking sad. I wonder what the guy looks like... no social life.[/QUOTE] You think he played it for 10 years straight, not doing anything else? I'm pretty sure he was only on it for a short amount of time a day.
[QUOTE=Mr. Sun;36305663]This is so freaking sad. I wonder what the guy looks like... no social life.[/QUOTE] Maybe he played the game 1h a day. I'm certain, looking at your Steam profile, you play much, much more than that.
No, don't put words in my mouth. But having that kind of... obsession. for a video game that they keep going at it every now and then for 10 years is depressing and weird. [editline]12th June 2012[/editline] [QUOTE=Kendra;36305698]Maybe he played the game 1h a day. I'm certain, looking at your Steam profile, you play much, much more than that.[/QUOTE] That's not just doing one thing though. Oh, you are going to judge me based on my hours in game? 9 hours in 2 weeks. That's fair. You have 3 less hours than me but you have 200+ games. Quite an impressive collection...
[QUOTE=Mr. Sun;36305713]No, don't put words in my mouth. But having that kind of... obsession. for a video game that they keep going at it every now and then for 10 years is depressing and weird.[/QUOTE]Okay 1. Who the hell cares 2. This thread was nice before you got in here 3. You have no understanding of the word obsession, this clearly isn't one, doing something you enjoy an hour a day isn't an obsession, it's perfectly normal
[QUOTE=Mr. Sun;36305713] But having that kind of... obsession. for a video game that they keep going at it every now and then for 10 years is depressing and weird. [/QUOTE] So by that definition, anyone with hobbies in model trains, airplanes, painting, drawing, sculpting, etc etc are all obsessed and weird.
For a few moments there, I thought he was battling real life people. Still, very, very interesting.
The Vikings are one of the superpowers. I imagined axe-wielding, red-bearded, viking warriors launching a nuke off of a longship :v:
[QUOTE=Mr. Sun;36305713]No, don't put words in my mouth. But having that kind of... obsession. for a video game that they keep going at it every now and then for 10 years is depressing and weird.[/QUOTE] I take it you don't know much about South Korea.
[QUOTE=FullStreak12;36305546]do the game for like 50 years and post results[/QUOTE] k brb
There's always something new you can do with hobbies outside of a Civ II game. The game is limited by its coding. He must encounter the same exact scenarios over and over and over. How does that not get boring? And I defined the obsession as being with a video game. I don't find other hobbies with similar zeal creepy like this guy because they aren't limited by the game itself.
[QUOTE=Mr. Sun;36305713]No, don't put words in my mouth. But having that kind of... obsession. for a video game that they keep going at it every now and then for 10 years is depressing and weird. [editline]12th June 2012[/editline] That's not just doing one thing though.[/QUOTE] You've played Team Fortress 2 for 1,915.5 hours. That's since you joined Steam on May 18, 2008. So you've been a member of Steam for 1,485 days approximately. So you've played ONLY ONE THING for 1.3 hours EVERY SINGLE DAY If we add up the next 10 top played games: TF2 - 1915.5 Gmod - 248.5 Left 4 Dead - 82.4 Left 4 Dead 2 - 63.4 Skyrim - 50.6 MW2 (lol) - 47.8 Fallout: NV - 47 MW2 singleplayer: 38.2 (HOW THE FUCK DO YOU PLAY THE SINGLEPLAYER FOR THAT LONG) CS:S - 35.5 HL2:DM - 32.9 That's 2,514 total hours of your life wasted on video games. That's 1.72 hours since May 18, 2008 that you have spent LITERALLY EVERY DAY on average. Nerd.
This why we need RPS back in the News Feed, it posts awesome articles like this.
You're creepy and obsessed Mr. sun
[QUOTE=Mr. Sun;36305860]There's always something new you can do with hobbies outside of a Civ II game. The game is limited by its coding. He must encounter the same exact scenarios over and over and over. How does that not get boring? And I defined the obsession as being with a video game. I don't find other hobbies with similar zeal creepy like this guy.[/QUOTE]Just leave, no one cares, we're here to discuss a 1700 long nuclear war in a video game not discuss your bullshit definition of obsession. [editline]12th June 2012[/editline] [QUOTE=geel9;36305865]Nerd.[/QUOTE]I love you.
Because there isn't such a thing as idling in TF2? With the steam overlay I can communicate and do other things between matches or games. Plus, you can actually communicate with OTHER PEOPLE and not just sit in a room and stare at the screen making up a story for the game you are playing.
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.