• Driver, 100, hits 11 people at Calif. school
    46 replies, posted
[quote]LOS ANGELES — The screams of women and children didn't cause a 100-year-old driver to stop as he backed his large powder blue Cadillac onto a sidewalk across from an elementary school and hit 11 people, including nine children. So people began pounding on his windows screaming for him to stop, a witness said. Alma Solache said she was buying her children an afterschool snack Wednesday just before the accident outside a South Los Angeles school. "He was not paying attention," said Solache, 24, adding that it was at least two or three seconds before the vehicle halted and people began pulling children out from beneath the car. Four of the children were in critical condition when firefighters arrived but they were stabilized and were in serious condition at a hospital, city fire Capt. Jaime Moore said. Everyone was expected to survive, he said. Children's backpacks, shoes, candy and loose change were strewn about the scene behind a discount grocery store across from Main Street Elementary. Police said the driver, Preston Carter, was being very cooperative and drugs or alcohol were not a factor in the crash. Carter talked to television reporters after the crash some five miles southwest of downtown Los Angeles. He said he has a driver's license and will be 101 years old Sept. 5. "My brakes failed. It was out of control," Carter told KCAL-TV. Asked about hitting the children, Preston said: "You know I'm sorry about that. I wouldn't do that for nothing on earth. My sympathies for them." Carter was pulling out of the grocery store parking lot, but instead of backing into the street, he backed onto the sidewalk, police Capt. George Rodriguez said. "I think it was a miscalculation on his part. The gentleman is elderly," Rodriguez said. "Obviously he is going to have some impairment on his decision making." Elderly drivers have been involved in other tragedies. In 2003, an 86-year-old man mistakenly stepped on the gas pedal of his car instead of the brake and then panicked, plowing into an open-air market in Santa Monica. Ten people were killed and 63 injured. According to California's Department of Motor Vehicles, people over age 70 must renew their driver's license in person, rather than via the Internet or by mail. Older drivers can also be required to take a supplemental driving test if they fail a vision exam, or if a police officer, a physician, or a family member raises questions about their ability to drive. Rodriguez said the collision was being investigated as an accident, and Carter was not under arrest. He has a valid driver's license, Rodriguez said.[/quote] [url=http://www.policeone.com/patrol-issues/articles/5938510-Driver-100-hits-11-people-at-Calif-school/]Source[/url]
He sounds awesome in the video.
how the fuck can a 100 year old man drive
Well, you never know what would happen if you would put a person like this into car. I feel bad for the injured guys though. :(
From what I hear, in Europe, the elderly have to take yearly driver's tests to be sure they're still able to function on the roads...I keep hearing about stories like this one, and wondering if things like this would happen if the states had a similar policy.
I guess high scores are really important to him
He says his brakes failed... I'm not so sure that's the case.
I somehow doubt brakes had anything to do with it.
I feel bad for everyone involved. At least noone died. That would've been terrible
[QUOTE=areolop;37471660]Elderly drivers have been involved in other tragedies. In 2003, an 86-year-old man mistakenly stepped on the gas pedal of his car instead of the brake and then panicked, plowing into an open-air market in Santa Monica. Ten people were killed and 63 injured.[/QUOTE] Wow..
Bullshit his brakes failed, he just fucked up and is trying to cover his ass.
Holy shit. At first i thought it was 100 km/h, but looked like the age so I wanted to make a joke about the driver being 100 year old. Then suddenly the driver is actually 100 years old and there is no typo.
[video=youtube;PGJKeESLBpQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGJKeESLBpQ&feature=youtu.be[/video] The accident caught on camera
Wow I'd never guess he's 101.. looks about 70
[video=youtube;TdOfX18FT-A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdOfX18FT-A[/video] (Apologies for the watermark)
-snip fuck you-
Back in his day he had to run over kids walking to and from school in the snow, uphill, both ways.
This city has never made any sense for a long time.
Little dead bodies floating on waves of blood and gore! The Carnage!
[QUOTE=Mingebox;37472895]Little dead bodies floating on waves of blood and gore! The Carnage![/QUOTE] Oh no don’t do that…the other orphans are feasting on the dead bodies in the middle of the road. What’s wrong with you!? You're... you're animals, animals I say! You all deserve to die! BLACK RUBBER DEATH FOR YOU!
[QUOTE=Protocol7;37471910]He says his brakes failed... I'm not so sure that's the case.[/QUOTE] he probably stomped the clutch instead
[QUOTE=ButtsexV3;37473387]he probably stomped the clutch instead[/QUOTE] I think it's more of a play on words. I mean, is it really a brake failure or a failure to brake?
Ban cars and elderly people
[QUOTE=Protocol7;37473423]I think it's more of a play on words. I mean, is it really a brake failure or a failure to brake?[/QUOTE] "My brakes failed" seems to imply brake failure, ergo bullshit
[QUOTE=Carnage2323;37473488]Ban cars and elderly people[/QUOTE] Ban both, or just the combination of the two? Because I support that.
The headline seemed a lot more sensationalist when those numbers switched places in my mind.
[QUOTE=ButtsexV3;37473387]he probably stomped the clutch instead[/QUOTE] I doubt that model of Cadillac ever had an option for a clutch. The crazy old people who drive those kinds of cars can't be bothered with operating a clutch. Just point them at the Farmer's Market or school and they'll take it from there. When you're that old you can't process so much information at once. He was probably so focused on driving out of there that when people started yelling at him, he got scared and confused. So he thought "I better get out of here" and accelerated.
I didn't think people of that age still drove.
[QUOTE=Blazyd;37473806]I didn't think people of that age still drove.[/QUOTE] Well, it's either drive, take a taxi, use public transport or depend on family. Considering the latter two might not even be an option most of the time and the second option is expensive, driving is the only thing left.
[QUOTE=MightyMax;37471754]how the fuck can a 100 year old man drive[/QUOTE] he can't case in point
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.