• Driver, 100, hits 11 people at Calif. school
    46 replies, posted
[QUOTE=LtKyle2;37473954]If you're 100 years old, [I]you shouldn't be driving at all.[/I] In fact anyone over 70 shouldn't be driving at all.[/QUOTE] My grandfather is 85 and has never had an accident.
[quote]According to California's Department of Motor Vehicles, people over age 70 must renew their driver's license in person, rather than via the Internet or by mail. Older drivers can also be required to take a supplemental driving test if they fail a vision exam, or if a police officer, a physician, or a family member raises questions about their ability to drive.[/quote] That still isn't a very effective law. After 70 its pretty much drive until you die or kill someone else. Then again someone else could report you but I doubt that happens very often.
[QUOTE=Carne;37474005]My grandfather is 85 and has never had an accident.[/QUOTE] my grandfather had his first accident at 86. you should start counting the days.
[QUOTE=LtKyle2;37473954]If you're 100 years old, [I]you shouldn't be driving at all.[/I] In fact anyone over 70 shouldn't be driving at all.[/QUOTE] Have you seen Logan's Run?
People need to be able to get around, take care of their business. Here in Southern California we have about the crappiest possible public transportation system. That's why a car is pretty much a necessity here, no matter how old you are. You take this car away and you're essentially dooming this guy to never leaving home again. This leaves old people no choice but to drive even when they know they are taking a huge chance. There was this old guy who lived on the same street I did back a few years ago. He walked with a walker, and even with the walker he walked slow. How slow? He'd move the walker forward about 2 or 3 inches, then shuffle one foot forward a couple of inches, then shuffle the other foot forward, repeat. He drove a big ass car too. He wasn't driving for fun, just seeing him walk from his front door to his car you could see how much he suffered. He HAD to drive, how else was he going to buy food, see his doctor, and so on?
[QUOTE=Scot;37472000]Bullshit his brakes failed, he just fucked up and is trying to cover his ass.[/QUOTE] Holy shit he is elderly and confused, are you really trying to hit him with this?
[QUOTE=ThePinkPanzer;37476223]Holy shit he is elderly and confused, are you really trying to hit him with this?[/QUOTE] Just because your old doesnt mean you get to do whatever the fuck you want. All laws still apply. I'm not saying what you quoted is true
[QUOTE=areolop;37476373]Just because your old doesnt mean you get to do whatever the fuck you want. All laws still apply. I'm not saying what you quoted is true[/QUOTE] And? He obviously did not know better, it is not like he went "LET'S HIT US SOME KIDS" and then used that as an excuse.
[QUOTE=jaykray;37474062]Have you seen Logan's Run?[/QUOTE] How the fuck is killing people at the age of 30 the same as preventing old people with dulled reflexes from driving. [sub][sub]dumb fuck[/sub][/sub]
My mums friend had MS (I think that's it, not sure) and he drove my dads van off the driveway and into our neighbours garage. While trying to park his car. Old people and cars don't mix.
What a scrub, I hit 100 people when I was 11.
[QUOTE=Itszutak;37471839]From what I hear, in Europe, the elderly have to take yearly driver's tests to be sure they're still able to function on the roads...I keep hearing about stories like this one, and wondering if things like this would happen if the states had a similar policy.[/QUOTE] Generally every 3 years or so. Not every year. And it's a medical exam, not a driver's exam.
[QUOTE=usaokay;37471938]Calllliforniana. Home to the homeless...[/QUOTE] You silly, California law isn't American law. It's all different there.
Even if his breaks did fail, you do not back up into the sidewalk where people are walking. He is 100 years old, why is he even driving. Hell everything in your body is basically shot at that age, last thing you need is someone driving who is blind, or has slow reaction time.
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.