• More than 200,000 long-term jobless Americans will lose their unemployment checks this week
    162 replies, posted
[QUOTE]NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- More than 200,000 long-term jobless Americans will lose their unemployment checks this week, when eight states roll off the federal extended benefits program. Nearly half of them live in California, and the rest reside in Florida, Illinois, North Carolina, Colorado, Connecticut, Pennsylvania and Texas. The federal extended benefits program has provided the jobless with up to 20 weeks of unemployment checks after they've run through their state and their federal emergency benefits, which together last up to 79 weeks. But the extended benefits program is expiring throughout the country as the economy improves. To be eligible for these benefits, a state must show that its unemployment rate is at least 10% higher than it was in at least one of the past three years. State unemployment rates have been falling as the jobless find new positions or exit the workforce. For instance, Nevada has the highest state unemployment rate at 12%, but it's still below the 14% it logged in October 2010. Already, 25 states have rolled off the extended benefits program, with 15 of them exiting last month alone. But more unemployed folks will be affected by this week's cessation than April's, when about 135,000 people saw their payments end. By the beginning of September, the benefits will disappear in another seven states, leaving Alaska as the sole place to offer it. The jobless have been able to collect up to 99 weeks of benefits for much of the Great Recession and its aftermath. But after multiple extensions, Congress in February passed a law that starts phasing out this unprecedented lifeline. Starting later this year, the maximum number of weeks the jobless can collect unemployment benefits will be reduced to as little as 40 weeks in states with jobless rates below 6% and to as many as 73 weeks where unemployment tops 9%. The issue of supporting the long-term unemployed, who number 5.1 million or 41% of the jobless, has split policy makers and economists. Some argue that these costly benefits need to end to spur people to find work. But others say the economy is still too weak to roll up the safety net. "The hundreds of thousands of long-term unemployed who are being abruptly pushed off the extended benefits program are just the latest wave of jobless workers forced to survive without basic financial protections," said George Wentworth, senior staff attorney at the National Employment Law Project, an advocacy group.[/QUOTE] Source: [url]http://money.cnn.com/2012/05/11/news/economy/jobless-unemployment-benefits/index.htm?hpt=hp_t3[/url]
snip
how does this even make sense america what are you doing
Shit.
[QUOTE=aznz888;35919954]how does this even make sense america what are you doing[/QUOTE] Letting the rich control our goverment
I thank Flying Spaghetti Monster everyday I have a job.
Now watch as America destroys itself.
[QUOTE=aznz888;35919954]how does this even make sense america what are you doing[/QUOTE] Encouraging people to look even harder than before for jobs? If they're long term unemployed then they obviously don't look hard enough and perhaps they're even picky about what kind of job they want which you cant afford to do in unemployment. You lot may not like it but some will whine and be poor, others will search harder and earn money.
This has been going on for a while. It's only long term, that means if you haven't been able to find a job in the past 6 months. It sucks but I don't think it's a very big deal.
[QUOTE=NielsGade;35920053]Now watch as America destroys itself.[/QUOTE] Drama queen.
[QUOTE=aznz888;35919954]how does this even make sense america what are you doing[/QUOTE] We're stopping spending tax dollars on those who were given plenty of time to find work of ANY kind. Before I joined the marines I didn't give a damn that I was making minimum wage, I was glad I had a job. Minimum wage pays a lot better than unemployment Besides, this is long term unemployment we're talking about. It's not like they just got on it for a week and they're taking it away.
[QUOTE=Mad Chatter;35920105]Drama queen.[/QUOTE] 200.000 people won't receive their main income (I assume) this month. 200.000 people who won't be able to pay their rent, food or whatever they spend money on. Now the question is, what could America to solve this? Should the people adapt to the system or should the system adapt to the people?
There's always a job out there if you try hard enough. People just don't want to do the 'bad' jobs. People who are on too long and not making any progress need to be kicked off.
[QUOTE]The federal extended benefits program has provided the jobless with up to 20 weeks of unemployment checks after they've run through their state and their federal emergency benefits, which together last [B]up to 79 weeks[/B].[/QUOTE] I'm not against welfare, but this seems like plenty of time.
[QUOTE=NielsGade;35920178]200.000 people won't receive their main income (I assume) this month. 200.000 people who won't be able to pay their rent, food or whatever they spend money on. Now the question is, what could America to solve this? Should the people adapt to the system or should the system adapt to the people?[/QUOTE] If unemployment is your main source of income that is incredibly fucked up. I would think being on unemployment itself would be an incentive to find any work you can. By the way, it's not that hard to find work depending on the season. Just drive down to your local farms and ask any of them if they need a hand. Spring and autumn are excellent times for work.
[QUOTE=yawmwen;35920206]If unemployment is your main source of income that is incredibly fucked up. I would think being on unemployment itself would be an incentive to find any work you can. By the way, it's not that hard to find work depending on the season. Just drive down to your local farms and ask any of them if they need a hand. Spring and autumn are excellent times for work.[/QUOTE] Because it's so easy to find a farm in the inner city. Tell me, where should I find a farm in New York City?
"Sorry guys, but it was this or cut some of the budget to our giant dick extension- I mean, military budget."
[QUOTE=UncleJimmema;35920158]We're stopping spending tax dollars on those who were given plenty of time to find work of ANY kind. Before I joined the marines I didn't give a damn that I was making minimum wage, I was glad I had a job. Minimum wage pays a lot better than unemployment Besides, this is long term unemployment we're talking about. It's not like they just got on it for a week and they're taking it away.[/QUOTE] Yeah but 200 000 people man. I would get it if they were stoners who lie around not trying, but it's not always easy to get a job, especially if you have poor education(since education costs money there, I'd assume not everyone has a degree). The government should help people to at least have a roof, food and clothes. If that fails, the government fails. [editline]12th May 2012[/editline] [QUOTE=W00tbeer1;35920185]There's always a job out there if you try hard enough. People just don't want to do the 'bad' jobs. People who are on too long and not making any progress need to be kicked off.[/QUOTE] Unfair generalisation.
[QUOTE=Midas22;35920081]Encouraging people to look even harder than before for jobs? If they're long term unemployed then they obviously don't look hard enough and perhaps they're even picky about what kind of job they want which you cant afford to do in unemployment. You lot may not like it but some will whine and be poor, others will search harder and earn money.[/QUOTE][video=youtube;Gzs-4kY4REc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzs-4kY4REc[/video]
[QUOTE=Arachnidus;35920222]Because it's so easy to find a farm in the inner city. Tell me, where should I find a farm in New York City?[/QUOTE] [url]http://inhabitat.com/nyc/top-5-urban-farms-in-new-york-city/[/url] There are also plenty of farms right out of NYC if you are willing to leave town. In fact I'm looking at a bunch on google maps right now.
[QUOTE=Pantz76;35920200]I'm not against welfare, but this seems like plenty of time.[/QUOTE] Well, unless there was some other element seriously preventing them from finding work, do you really think they would just wait until their only source of money was gone? Take my father for example: Didn't go to university (at that age he graduated high school in the 70s, jobs were certainly easier to come by), is bit too old to do any real physical labour, and it doesn't help that he's transgender, that leads to plenty of discrimination when applying for a job. His unemployment insurance ran out ages ago and the only way he's able to survive now is by selling what he has on Ebay, and whatever temp jobs he can get, which he hasn't been able to for months now.
itt: everyone is a farmer that escaped unemployment
[QUOTE=yawmwen;35920257][url]http://inhabitat.com/nyc/top-5-urban-farms-in-new-york-city/[/url] There are also plenty of farms right out of NYC if you are willing to leave town. In fact I'm looking at a bunch on google maps right now.[/QUOTE]In case you haven't heard, gas is expensive, plus there's so much traffic getting in and out of NYC is a bitch, whatever pitiful amount of money you'd get for helping at some farm isn't going to cover the huge gas expenses you'd rack up plus your normal living expenses.
Why does California have to suck so much in terms of jobs? I'm glad my cousins out there have been making it so far.
[QUOTE=aznz888;35919954]how does this even make sense america what are you doing[/QUOTE] Some people have been on unemployment benefits for up to 2 years straight. They can't keep paying out benefits forever. It's inefficient and unsustainable.
-snip-, i guess it's not because of what's stated in the article because my state isn't listed but it still applies w/e
[QUOTE=yawmwen;35920257][url]http://inhabitat.com/nyc/top-5-urban-farms-in-new-york-city/[/url] There are also plenty of farms right out of NYC if you are willing to leave town. In fact I'm looking at a bunch on google maps right now.[/QUOTE] The key word there is outside. We're talking people on welfare. Many of them likely cannot afford cars, or ways of effectively travelling out of the city to a farm. I doubt the MTA runs buses out there. And as for the urban farms, they're great, but many aren't commercial, I'm familiar with them. I'd be surprised if they would accept field hands.
[QUOTE=Atlascore;35920295]In case you haven't heard, gas is expensive, plus there's so much traffic getting in and out of NYC is a bitch, whatever pitiful amount of money you'd get for helping at some farm isn't going to cover the huge gas expenses you'd rack up plus your normal living expenses.[/QUOTE] Well, if you're single then just park your car outside the farm and sleep there for a couple weeks. If not, carpool. There is absolutely no excuse for you to be driving alone in and out of work every day unless you are in the middle class or a recluse. You will have mad money by the time you're done. Plus, those places often don't pay pitiful amounts of money. Usually minimum wage and up. The places need to keep their wages at least somewhat competitive because the labor is so intense people will often just pick up and leave if they can't pay their bills.
[QUOTE=Reds;35920227]"Sorry guys, but it was this or cut some of the budget to our giant dick extension- I mean, military budget."[/QUOTE] Why is everyone ignoring they cut the military budget and four hundred thousand soldiers lost their jobs over it.
You are literally looking for excuses not to be working. If you don't want to get out there and work, don't take unemployment or welfare anymore. You are literally sponging off the system and we don't need you draining resources that should be used to help people who are actually trying. [editline]12th May 2012[/editline] If you can't work, get on disability, you shouldn't be on unemployment or welfare anyways.
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.