• Omnifinity creates 360 degree treadmill for Virtual Reality
    55 replies, posted
[img]http://www.sweclockers.com/image/red/2014/11/21/Omnideck_0002_Omnideck+6+-+Oculus+DK2+-+Meta+VR+-Walk.jpg?t=original&k=c94a3b4a[/img][quote][B] The Swedish company "Omnifinity" says that they'll bring Virtual Reality to a new level with the help of their treadmill "Omnideck", which allows the user to move in all directions in a natural manner. [/B] It takes more than a competent VR-headset solution to be properly immersed into a virtual universe, a proper input-system is just as important. A new advancement in the field is now revealed. [video=youtube;SXaxsIYSUFo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXaxsIYSUFo#t=0[/video] They've previously shown early, barely functional prototypes of their device, but now Omnifinity announces that their input-system "Omnideck" is pretty much complete. The Omnideck itself is a 360 degree treadmill, which combined with specially designed hardware and software, allows it's user to move in all directions in a natural manner, the movements are then interpreted as input by, for example, a game. "A complete Omnideck system makes it possible to move naturally in any game, by, with very high accuracy, translating the movements into digital input. The possibilites are basically endless; imagine walking down a street in Google Maps, building "for real" in MineCraft, or conducting an assault in CS:GO" - Richard Guilfoyle, sales manager at Omnifinity. The Omnideck is a six meter wide, circular treadmill with 16 sections. The treadmill is motorized, and works against the movements of the user, to ensure that he/she doesn't accidentally walk off it. The active surface is combined with a system similar to the Kinect, which reads the user's movements and position in the space. This makes it possible for you to example go down on your knees, or even crawl. Traditional control mechanisms such as buttons and triggers can in turn be attached to weapon replicas, and other such tools.[/quote] [thumb]http://www.sweclockers.com/image/red/2014/11/21/Omnideck_0003_Omnideck+6+-+Oculus+DK2+-+Crawl.jpg?t=original&k=796f3044[/thumb] [quote] For output, the room is dressed in a wraparound cloth, onto which the image gets projected. Omnifinity is also working with Oculus for a Rift integration. However, according to Guilfoyle, there are still a lot of problems to solve for a Rift integration to properly work, where most of them are related to the fact that user will then be unable to see his/her actual surroundings. Next week, The Omnifinity Omnideck 6 will be presented at the technology convention "ITSEC 2014" in the USA, in the form of a combat-simulator for the military industry. And even though the current Omnideck isn't made for homes, Omnifinity sees a clear future in gaming and home entertainment, and they promise that they'll talk more about that in 2015. "Virtual Reality solutions for games have existed for a long time, but now it seems like VR is less of a cool "What if" thing, and more the actual future for digital games. Playing "Battlefield 4" using the Omnideck is a very realistic experience, almost terrifyingly so, and I personally can't play for more than 20 minutes at a time before becoming completely exhausted".[/quote] Source: [url]http://www.sweclockers.com/nyhet/19664-svenska-omnifinity-satsar-pa-360-graders-rullband-for-virtuell-verklighet[/url]
Looks like Snake doing VR missions. Other than that little thing, this is amazing.
I imagine Shacktactical buying a crapton of these and playing ARMA 3. Oh man, it would be so much fun.
Thank God, at last! Now I can lose weight while playing games. [B]Edited:[/B] Just think about playing STALKER in that thing for 7 hours. Eating in it, sitting in it and waiting for radioavtive storms to pass.
Are people seriously supposed to squeeze this in their homes? Fuck that. I much prefer my computer chair thank you very much. This can't be the answer for VR-controls/-movement.
I doubt this is for the bottom line consumer. It would have better applicationscoupled with stuff like VBS.
imagine playing a horror game in that
I wonder if virtual arcades will become a thing.
I've actually wanted to see something like this created, though what I imagined could be folded up into a cone without a top for storage and optional surround sound and air "guns" surrounding the treadmill for the simulation of winds, water and wooshing of projectiles.
What would it take to connect some brain stems to a game system? just some soder and wire and a few cuts.
Imagine playing Horror games with this device + Oculus Rift + best headphones you could buy with the volume turned up to full and the lights off oohoho no thank you
My concern with these type of things is that it looks pretty easy to step off the treadmill. The guy is taking cautious steps right near the edge of the platform at 0:30.
[QUOTE=Egon Spengler;46556578]Imagine playing Horror games with this device + Oculus Rift + best headphones you could buy with the volume turned up to full and the lights off oohoho no thank you[/QUOTE] i dont think it matters if the lights are turned on or off with the rift on your noggin
Maybe this is how arcades will rise again
[QUOTE=Milkdairy]I doubt this is for the bottom line consumer. It would have better applicationscoupled with stuff like VBS.[/QUOTE] [QUOTE=Bat-shit;46556541]Are people seriously supposed to squeeze this in their homes? Fuck that.[/QUOTE] [quote] Even though the current Omnideck isn't made for homes, Omnifinity sees a clear future in gaming and home entertainment, and they promise that they'll talk more about that in 2015. [/quote] RTFOP
[QUOTE=Jodern;46556617]Maybe this is how arcades will rise again[/QUOTE] Arcades died in the west due to vandalism making it too risky to use modern arcade machines, I don't see how it will be any different really with this. Japan's arcades don't have a problem with vandalism so they still lived and evolved into VR (such as piloting mechas that make you feel like you are moving inside of them and even have online play).
I could see myself having a big room for something like this.
[QUOTE=cucumber;46556534]Thank God, at last! Now I can lose weight while playing games. [B]Edited:[/B] Just think about playing STALKER in that thing for 7 hours. Eating in it, sitting in it and waiting for radioavtive storms to pass.[/QUOTE] honestly that's why im most excited for VR. I can have fun playing games while being active and healthy
[QUOTE=Dermock;46556678]honestly that's why im most excited for VR. I can have fun playing games while being active and healthy[/QUOTE] I'm so hyped for getting axed in the back of the legs in DayZ and literally shitting myself as I scream "Oh god it's so realistic!"
[QUOTE=cucumber;46556534]Just think about playing STALKER in that thing for 7 hours. Eating in it, sitting in it and waiting for radioavtive storms to pass.[/QUOTE] Sitting? I hope you mean squatting.
I'd have to trash my guest room to even fit that thing, the one that was the size of a 2 person table at a restaurant seemed a bit more practical :v:
Total gimmick for in home use but god damn would this be amazing at LAN cafes or some kind of arcade
[QUOTE=ZombieDawgs;46556564]I wonder if virtual arcades will become a thing.[/QUOTE] please let it become a thing i would love to have even regular arcades here.
wonder how well it works with crouch and prone commands
I've done some searching, and I haven't been able to find anything, but has a thread about this been created lately? Or are people thinking it's late because they're thinking about the prototype they showed about two years ago?
In 10 years time this will absolutely be an arcade thing
It seems running on this thing is impossible. I mean, on the video, the guy was jogging very slowly with tiny steps, and still was on the very edge of the thing.
[QUOTE=Super Muffin;46556590]My concern with these type of things is that it looks pretty easy to step off the treadmill. The guy is taking cautious steps right near the edge of the platform at 0:30.[/QUOTE] i think thats what the cord is for, makes it so you can't walk off the edge, you get pulled back who would guess a bunch of rollers like what they use in stores would make the perfect platform
[QUOTE=Jodern;46556617]Maybe this is how arcades will rise again[/QUOTE] "THE ARCADES WILL RISE AGAIN" *shoots in the air with light guns*
[video=youtube;eg8Bh5iI2WY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg8Bh5iI2WY[/video] It's been demo'd 3 years ago by The Gadget Show
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.