• Researchers create ultra-fast '1,000 core' processor, Intel also toys with the idea
    59 replies, posted
[QUOTE=gerbile5;27030272]can'tmaxcrisis!!!!!!!!!!!11[/QUOTE] Thats so old. A 650$ computer can max crisis these days.
What were they set to max before crysis?
As in Glasgow, Scotland?
[QUOTE=imasillypiggy;27034819]Thats so old. A 650$ computer can max crisis these days.[/QUOTE] I've spent about $200 on my computer so far and it can run Crysis with everything on high. dump another $150 or so into it and I'm sure it can max it.
[QUOTE=Coffee;27034375]PS3 has Microprocessors[/QUOTE] Pretty sure every console has a microprocessor.
[QUOTE=Scotchair;27035609]As in Glasgow, Scotland?[/QUOTE] Glasgow in New Zealand. [editline]29th December 2010[/editline] [QUOTE=DarkendSky;27036813]Pretty sure every console has a microprocessor.[/QUOTE] But I said Microprocessors. Note that it's plural.
May the glorious PC gaming master race live and prosper.
:awesome:
[QUOTE=imasillypiggy;27034819]Thats so old. A 650$ computer can max crisis these days.[/QUOTE] Actually, not really. I've tried this on $800 to $1200 rigs, and even on mid-range and high-range modern cards I still can't get over 20-30 FPS with everything in Crysis maxed (at a reasonable res.) For example, a rig with an i5 and 6870 got an average 25 FPS on Crysis benchmarks, with some parts of the scene dipping as low as 5. Crysis was something special in terms of benchmarking. It'll be a while before computers run it effortlessly.
[QUOTE=Xolo;27037761]Actually, not really. I've tried this on $800 to $1200 rigs, and even on mid-range and high-range modern cards I still can't get over 20-30 FPS with everything in Crysis maxed (at a reasonable res.) For example, a rig with an i5 and 6870 got an average 25 FPS on Crysis benchmarks, with some parts of the scene dipping as low as 5. Crysis was something special in terms of benchmarking. It'll be a while before computers run it effortlessly.[/QUOTE] I made a computer for about 800 or so, and it maxes crysis at 55 fps with drops to 45.
This CPU is only good for Vitrulization, not gaming stop arguing about gaming
Still waiting on quantum computing.
What surprises me most about this thread is that not ONE person commented on the dude's name. NOT ONE (well, until now). [i]Dr. Wim Vanderbauwhede[/i]... awesome.
butcanitplaycrysis?
Um... Folding@Home?
[QUOTE=Capn'Underpants;27033751]Yeah, they might actualy get multipul cores.[/QUOTE] Consoles have been using multiple cores or even multiple CPUs for ages. Even the PSP has two CPUs.
[QUOTE=HumanAbyss;27038478]I made a computer for about 800 or so, and it maxes crysis at 55 fps with drops to 45.[/QUOTE] What resolution & is it at max settings
[QUOTE=Xolo;27059708]What resolution & is it at max settings[/QUOTE] 1650x1000 and yeah, max settings.
And the processors will be the size of those square dinner plates.
[QUOTE=Metalcastr;27064666]And the processors will be the size of those square dinner plates.[/QUOTE] If it was cheap, I wouldn't mind.
[QUOTE=johan_sm;27064939]If it was cheap, I wouldn't mind.[/QUOTE] Sure, CPU itself is semi-cheap, but the cooler man. . . .
But can it run GTA4?
[QUOTE=imadaman;27065305]Sure, CPU itself is semi-cheap, but the cooler man. . . .[/QUOTE] WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSHHHH Also, this'll be nice for sound synthesis as well. So many voices!
So uh... Stream Processing? Late to the table aren't they. [editline]30th December 2010[/editline] It's not going to be any good if we have two parallel processing units and none that are really good at sequential instructions. The setup now of parallel GPU/sequential CPU is almost ideal. Don't fuck it up yo.
The major problem I see with these sort of system is that having 1000's of cores just isn't useful for most purposes. At the moment for general computing it's far better to have a couple of very fast, complex cores than 1000's of simple ones, since making useful massively parallel programs turns out to be really hard.
The singularity is approaching
So what the hell is the GHz or whatever it may be? I don't see anything in the articles giving even an estimated number; just like 20X faster and stuff.
LATE This been done a long time ago. You probably have a processing unit in your comp that has over 1k cores. This is called a GPU. You can run code on it using CUDA, or OpenCL for example.
i bet it cant run any games from the Magnavox Odyssey.
[QUOTE=mmavipc;27114626]LATE This been done a long time ago. You probably have a processing unit in your comp that has over 1k cores. This is called a GPU. You can run code on it using CUDA, or OpenCL for example.[/QUOTE] The processing units in the GPU are very small, simple, stupid units with a very small instruction set. They can run lots of simple stuff very fast in parallel, but it's very limited when it comes to what you can do with it, or you have to do lots of work to get it to do what you want it to do.
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.