• And the Most Pirated Game of 2009 Was...
    171 replies, posted
[QUOTE=Waffle Cake;19274822]So because the PC community disliked the changes to the games, with the lack of dedicated servers, mod tools, etc... They decided in order to punish IW for these changes, they'd express their dislike for the game by pirating it? You are looking too deep into it. People are pirating it because it looks like a cool game, and they don't want to pay for it. It's quite stupid to think that, by pirating a game, you are going to get a company to change it's ways (unless you want it to leave your console), or are making a statement. You've stolen a game. You've done the same thing that shop lifters do, but you didn't have the testicles to actually enter the store. If by stealing a game you think you've made a message, you're delusional.[/QUOTE] Now see here, when these people pirated MW2 they probably didn't think as a hive mind "Let's pirate their game to hell". They took the decision to pirate it because the game, as hyped as it was, had a few fatal flaws to it that severely reduced its potential lifetime among most regular gamers. Mods are known for greatly extending the functionality of a game, and thereby its lifetime ([I]for instance, I know people who downloaded games like GTA: San Andreas purely on behalf on its modding potential, multiplayer in particular[/I]). The lack of dedicated servers made people aware of that those famous (often modded) special 24/7 servers that are so popular within many communities (TF2, GMod, L4D, CS, BF2 etc) would be impossible, and thus there was even less incentive to pay for the game. Alas, the game was hyped to hell and back. When games are hyped, people want to try them regardless of whether they plan on dedicating themselves strongly with the game.
Of course, a lot of pirates are pretentious asshats, so that shouldn't really say too much.
[QUOTE=Waffle Cake;19274822]So because the PC community disliked the changes to the games, with the lack of dedicated servers, mod tools, etc... They decided in order to punish IW for these changes, they'd express their dislike for the game by pirating it? You are looking too deep into it. People are pirating it because it looks like a cool game, and they don't want to pay for it. It's quite stupid to think that, by pirating a game, you are going to get a company to change it's ways (unless you want it to leave your console), or are making a statement. You've stolen a game. You've done the same thing that shop lifters do, but you didn't have the testicles to actually enter the store. If by stealing a game you think you've made a message, you're delusional. (Not saying that you stole the game Zips :V)[/QUOTE] Except that the store doesn't lose anything of monetary value when you pirate instead of shoplifting. The game company loses only [b]possible profits[/b], imaginary money that is.
[QUOTE=Jugulum;19275007]Of course, a lot of pirates are pretentious asshats, so that shouldn't really say too much.[/QUOTE] Of course. There are always those who pirate most or all games just because they can, just like there are people who pirate all the music they can get their hands on just because they can.
[QUOTE=wuzzimu;19268758]I'm sure Infinity Ward is breaking out the Champagne with this news.[/QUOTE] What now about no dedicated server as a copy protection? Maybe thatw as a lesson for them, but who can tell.
[QUOTE=combine487;19274121]Or maybe after seeing how much CoD4 was pirated they decided not to focus on a PC version? [/QUOTE] IWnet surely wasn't free to make (so they did spend money on the PC version). So no matter if nobody had pirated MW1 on PC, IW/Activision doesn't give a shit, they just want to shove DLC down our throats and because of that they prefer the console market, since it's made mostly of wannabe gangsta kids (the stereotypical XBL kid) that the day after go around school screaming "Oskar Mike OskarMikesokrarmigeoskarmikesomikeassdhfbsjdhfg" (making everybody else rage), and those kids are a lot easier to please and will buy their shitty DLC even if they charge 10€ for a re-skin.
[QUOTE=vBullshit;19273671]I've [B]paid[/B] for all Valve games I've [B]purchased[/B], no warez here mate.[/QUOTE] :rolleye:
[QUOTE=Diet Kane;19268931]It's amazing how easily IW could've avoided such big numbers by simply keeping dedicated server and mod support.[/QUOTE] I'm willing to bet that more than half of those illegal downloads were done purely to spite IW
[QUOTE=quinaking;19268791]Why is Prototype that high up?[/QUOTE] Because its fun.
[QUOTE=zpiscool;19275680]I'm willing to bet that more than half of those illegal downloads were done purely to spite IW[/QUOTE] I know 8 people who pirated it, 7 of those did it because of IW and Kotick (that means very little since they are only 8, but they do indicate something).
I'd like to know how the hell they know how many games were pirated.
[QUOTE=Nostalgia;19268957]haha. I pirated it and I'm proud of it. Fuckers. [highlight](User was banned for this post ("Warez" - Greeman))[/highlight] [highlight](User was permabanned for this post ("Warez" - garry))[/highlight][/QUOTE] Mu mu Multi-KILL! I'm sorry, I just think if you get banned twice for the same post, you definitely did something wrong. [editline]10:52AM[/editline] [QUOTE=GTCharged;19275975]Mu mu Multi-KILL! I'm sorry, I just think if you get banned twice for the same post, you definitely did something wrong.[/QUOTE] Oh great, I can't edit this post. Please forgive me, moderators.
[QUOTE=quinaking;19268791]Why is Prototype that high up?[/QUOTE] Because nobody actually wanted to buy the piece of crap I presume. I did and I'm very sad that it wasn't fun for that long.
i kind of feel gutted for buying mw2 now
ownedsed :)
I didnt know that many people pirated Wii games. [editline]05:18PM[/editline] [QUOTE=quinaking;19268791]Why is Prototype that high up?[/QUOTE] Because before you play it, it looks like a pretty good game.
[QUOTE=Zips;19269091]So you [i]don't[/i] want the next CoD titles to be on the PC?[/QUOTE] Did you know: MW2 is the most popular (and best selling) COD title on the PC yet.
Ägda.
ITT: I bought this game so everyone who pirated it is scum, but I pirated this other game so people who bought it are stupid.
[QUOTE=Waffle Cake;19274822]So because the PC community disliked the changes to the games, with the lack of dedicated servers, mod tools, etc... They decided in order to punish IW for these changes, they'd express their dislike for the game by pirating it? You are looking too deep into it. People are pirating it because it looks like a cool game, and they don't want to pay for it. It's quite stupid to think that, by pirating a game, you are going to get a company to change it's ways (unless you want it to leave your console), or are making a statement. You've stolen a game. You've done the same thing that shop lifters do, but you didn't have the testicles to actually enter the store. If by stealing a game you think you've made a message, you're delusional. (Not saying that you stole the game Zips :V)[/QUOTE] I don't think this was done for any "message sending" purposes at all. The game was pirated purely for selfish reasons, but it was done as a result of the design decisions that IW made with the game. I'm not saying that ALL of those pirates did it because IW & Activision jacked up the price to $60 or removed dedicated servers or gimped the customization or online community aspect. But I can gurantee that if they weren't total smacktards about it all, that the PC piracy rate would have been far lower. Like I said though, IW's design decisions are not the only reason the game was pirated, that's a given. However, it sure didn't help matters at all. People got burnt on the PC version of this game. And while they didn't want to put their hard earned money towards a company that screwed them over, they still wanted to play or at least to try the game in some small part. Hence why they pirated it. (I have a legit, free copy through Steam. No theft here. If I didn't get it through Steam, I honestly doubt I would have bought it (would not have pirated it either, I just wouldn't give a damn))
I was initially going to pirate MW2, but the same day i cashed my paycheck and thought "meh i can afford it" so i just bought it, i don't regret it either. So yay i didn't pirate.
[QUOTE=RaveRaze;19269147]I love the fact that there is no Valve game on there[/QUOTE] 'Cos valve would beat the shit out of anybody dumb enough to pirate it.
[QUOTE=SteveUK;19277610]Did you know: MW2 is the most popular (and best selling) COD title on the PC yet.[/QUOTE] No it's not.
It's usually a good thing in business to give people incentives to buy your product, instead of encouraging piracy. Cannot wait until IW announces next COD game won't appear on PC due to piracy.
[QUOTE=Aznsniper911;19268804]I like how PS3 wasn't up there[/QUOTE] People have to actually own the system before games can be pirated for it.
[QUOTE=Dirty_Ape;19269299]They deserved it.[/QUOTE] Yes, they deserve to lose money because they made good games. :hurr:
[QUOTE=Frisk;19283030]People have to actually own the system before games can be pirated for it.[/QUOTE] :iceburn:
[QUOTE=Rokonader;19281515]'Cos valve would beat the shit out of anybody dumb enough to pirate it.[/QUOTE] Uhh no, valve would still love you so much you would cry and buy the game no matter what.
[QUOTE=dutchah;19274290]Let me fix that for you:[/QUOTE] No, what I said was correct. You are speaking the voice of an elitist PC gamer or "hardcore" gamer. You are attacking a stereotype while also representing another. You are the audience that Infinity Ward now probably wants to avoid.
Not suprising.
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.