• Washington, D.C., may allow 16-year-olds to vote for president in 2020
    98 replies, posted
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/04/17/washington-d-c-may-allow-16-year-olds-vote-president-2020-election/523301002/
Now only the candidate with the dankest of memes will be President.
Are there not federal laws regarding this?
Wouldn't be surprised if it specifically done for the reason there seems to be a large right-wing focus in the current younger generation, if they can get those people to vote then the more leftwing millennial era that still suffers from low voter turnout will have to vote against both young and old.
I don't see why not. We should be finding ways to get younger people involved in the political process.
while cities can only extend voting rights in municipal elections, the District of Columbia is treated a state in some cases, and can, therefore, change the voting age to allow 16 and 17-year-olds to vote for President of the United States in addition to local elections. 
I'm not sure the evidence supports post-millenials leaning to the right, but in any case there's not a single Republican on the DC Council, it's all Democrats plus two Dem-leaning independents, so I don't know why they would be motivated to do that?
This is just a blatant vote grab by democrats. No adults I know actually think 16 year olds should vote. Hell, I wouldn't even have wanted myself at 16 to vote.
They wouldn't be, I didn't read the article properly enough before I went conspiracy'tard on it. Though I don't have any evidence on the younger generation being more conservative there are a lot of opinion pieces on the matter, we'll find out for sure when the time comes for them to vote of course.
I'm not so sure about that, my political views haven't changed much since I was 16, I would've voted for Obama if I was 18 for his first term and votes for him on his second term, same with the candidates for my local elections. I still vote Democrat to this day, and recent events in cemented my beliefs over the past 10+ years.
There can't be many votes left to grab in DC, they voted 90% Democrat in 2016
trying to predict the political sensibilities of future generations is basically astrology
I would be more apt to raising the voting age, rather than lowering it. 16-17 year olds are not exactly the pinnacle of rational or mature opinions. Sure there are a few mature and well reasoned ones, but I would not apply that to the general population of them.
My overall views haven't changed a ton either, but I know, for a fact, that I didn't have nearly as much of a foundation for those beliefs back then. I don't know if I can think of any 16 year old with a consistent and well thought out political ideology. Hell, most adults don't even have one.
If 16 year olds are old enough to get the shit shot out of them in public school, they're old enough to vote
Not sure I care for this idea to be honest. Doesn't seem like it'll have much of an effect one way or the other though considering how DC votes.
So 6 and 7 year olds should get to vote too?
This is such a stupid non-comparison. Babies get murdered, therefore babies should be able to vote? No thanks.
Not my point. Kids should have the ability to vote for people who give a shit about their survival, because adults are not voting with compassion for them.
Yay I can't wait for literal children to decide national policy based on scary news reports
Do you really think the vast majority of adult voters are any different? We got Trump as president for fuck's sake. Informed voters are the exception, and a very minor exception. The least we can do for these kids is give them a real voice.
I'm not sure what exactly your point is then. You could literally apply that same argument to literally anyone of any age. And I do respectfully disagree about the 16-year-olds being smarter than you think thing.
No but I think children are even less informed and more prone to emotion. The fact that most voters are incompetent isn't a very good argument for adding more incompetence to the pool.
I think we should push for a more informed and rational voting populace, not accept that it's not and throw caution to the wind by giving non-adults the ability to vote.
Ah, their going for Deez Nuts voterbase. Very clever stuff. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deez_Nuts_(politician)
As long as the media functions as it currently does, that won't happen. The political system thrives off of voters being uninformed so there's no reason to push for more informed voters. I'm just saying that allowing kids 2 years younger to vote wouldn't be the end of the world, and it could give kids more reason to be interested in politics earlier in their lives.
Yeah no, fuck having kids vote due to shit their parents spewed at them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMKlHdj-anU
he may be uninformed but is he wrong? :^)
Parents are for getting the shit shot out of them in public school?
I had no idea this opinion was so unpopular. Ive always been pretty neutral on the idea of lowering the voting age to 16, but brexit really drove home for me how unfair it is that teenagers get no say in the political process. Essentially, old people voted for a drastic and overwhelmingly negative change- one that they wont really have to deal with but with consequences that will fall firmly on the shoulders of the next couple of generations. And a massive chunk of those generations were powerless to stop them. After this I took a step back and realised that this same scenario could apply to an awful lot of political issues- Climate change for example. Why should those with the most to lose from inaction on climate change have no say in who deals (or fails to deal) with the issue?. And what about shit like the quality of education, or University Tuition fees?. Why wouldn't people get the most out of these systems while they are young, and then turn around and vote for people who want to gut them because it's not their problem any more? I also find it kinda bizarre that people are quick to write kids off as dumb and emotional when you lot ended up with Donald Trump as president without any help from teens. You already have people "voting based on scary news reports!", fuck, you have a president legislating based on them. I would argue focusing your attention elsewhere when trying to mitigate the level of dumb in US politics. Imo, if a 16 year old is going to vote at all they are probably a fairly political person. kids who just don't give a shit about politics wont bother to show up.
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.