• $12,000 Fyre luxury music festival "a disaster, fraud", reports of fighting, theft etc.
    159 replies, posted
[QUOTE=Caulo32;52160361]See this is fucking terrifying????? like everything else is bad and all these people got completely ripped off but afaik this dude hasn't seen his girlfriend yet and it's been 12 hours and she's pretty much being held without any contact to the outside world in a tent in a shithole fake music festival.[/QUOTE] It looks like there are alot of fake troll posts on that board, i just hope this is one of them.
[QUOTE=Caulo32;52160361]See this is fucking terrifying????? like everything else is bad and all these people got completely ripped off but afaik this dude hasn't seen his girlfriend yet and it's been 12 hours and she's pretty much being held without any contact to the outside world in a tent in a shithole fake music festival.[/QUOTE] Yeah, I came into the thread to have a laugh at a bunch of rich kids who got boned, but that Reddit post is seriously fucked. If people are seriously being robbed, beaten and.. Kidnapped? Yikes, I'd hate to be involved in this festival when the lawsuits start coming.
[QUOTE=srobins;52160468]Yeah, I came into the thread to have a laugh at a bunch of rich kids who got boned, but that Reddit post is seriously fucked. If people are seriously being robbed, beaten and.. Kidnapped? Yikes, I'd hate to be involved in this festival when the lawsuits start coming.[/QUOTE] Don't forget about the feral dogs roaming the island :v:
[QUOTE=srobins;52160468]Yeah, I came into the thread to have a laugh at a bunch of rich kids who got boned, but that Reddit post is seriously fucked. If people are seriously being robbed, beaten and.. Kidnapped? Yikes, I'd hate to be involved in this festival when the lawsuits start coming.[/QUOTE] I believe much of the exaggeration is just from /pol/. However, I will say the thought of theft and aggression in this shit show is more likely than not.
[QUOTE=TCB;52160224]i get that this is a joke but do you actually know anything about ja rule or would you have the same hot take regardless of who the person in question is? i just don't get your reasoning and you've never exactly came across as the type to be very familiar with the branding of someone like ja rule [sp]unless all you entirely associate him with the chappelle joke or something[/sp][/QUOTE] It's not a joke; the man is a dedicated conman and a shady fuck, and perhaps you should consider why there's a chapelle commentary on him in the first place.
What if the whole thing is an elaborate commentary by introducing privileged people to refugee-like conditions calling it: most mind-blowing social experiment of 2017 (gone wrong)
[QUOTE=Caulo32;52160361]See this is fucking terrifying????? like everything else is bad and all these people got completely ripped off but afaik this dude hasn't seen his girlfriend yet and it's been 12 hours and she's pretty much being held without any contact to the outside world in a tent in a shithole fake music festival.[/QUOTE] Yeah, /pol/ found that subreddit. Most of the posts are fake. The guy's other posts are all about Super Smash Bros and anime.
[QUOTE=27X;52160483]It's not a joke; the man is a dedicated conman and a shady fuck, and perhaps you should consider why there's a chapelle commentary on him in the first place.[/QUOTE] i'd get it if you were talking about wyclef jean or someshit but what exactly are you referring to? i guess there's something i've never heard about but afaik the chappelle skit is just based on the fact that ja rule was at his peak of relevance around 2001 so it was more a statement on the media immediately turning to celebrities for their thoughts on huge catastrophes and scandals (in the context of "ja rule is a big figure in pop culture right now, let's hear his opinions on a tragedy rather than covering something more substantial" i guess) i just wasn't sure if your post was one of those generic ignorant "you'd give your money to a [I]rapper[/I] who was once a [I]drug dealer[/I]??" responses people sometimes have, i saw a few people immediately distrust tidal purely based on jay z's (criminal, not entrepreneuria, which gets overlooked) past
[QUOTE=IAreLegend;52160533]What if the whole thing is an elaborate commentary by introducing privileged people to refugee-like conditions calling it: most mind-blowing social experiment of 2017 (gone wrong)[/QUOTE] irony of the phrase social experiment too, when this viral video idea of a 'social experiment' is such a millennial concept
That series of events sounds downright scary.
[QUOTE=TCB;52160558]i'd get it if you were talking about wyclef jean or someshit but what exactly are you referring to? i guess there's something i've never heard about but afaik the chappelle skit is just based on the fact that ja rule was at his peak of relevance around 2001 so it was more a statement on the media immediately turning to celebrities for their thoughts on huge catastrophes and scandals (in the context of "ja rule is a big figure in pop culture right now, let's hear his opinions on a tragedy rather than covering something more substantial" i guess) i just wasn't sure if your post was one of those generic ignorant "you'd give your money to a [I]rapper[/I] who was once a [I]drug dealer[/I]??" responses people sometimes have, i saw a few people immediately distrust tidal purely based on jay z's (criminal, not entrepreneuria, which gets overlooked) past[/QUOTE] Difference being unlike most folks of the same vein, he didn't go legit once he started making money. Don't take my word for it; check the public record: theft, assault, weapon possession in a public place, tax evasion, [I]repeated history of not paying acts that have appeared on his songs[/I] etc.
Never in my fucking life would I spend this much on a music festival.
[media]https://twitter.com/truongasm/status/857866417458208768[/media]
I hope to God that post about the medical tent is fake.
This is so sad. This was clearly somebodies get rich quick scheme.
[QUOTE=Jonii;52160869]I hope to God that post about the medical rent is fake.[/QUOTE] Since /pol/ and its subreddit spawn are now invested in making this another battleground in their culture war, I'd suggest not trusting any news you hear about it that aren't supported by photo or video evidence.
Even if I had disgusting amounts of money like this, there's no way in hell you'd convince me to sign up for this. I mean for fucks sake I could just hit a concert than go on a cruise the next day. I get how the "all inclusive, treated like royalty" thing can appeal to many people. But I would never trust anything like this that asks for this amount up front.
[QUOTE=DiBBs27;52160910]This is so sad. This was clearly somebodies get rich quick scheme.[/QUOTE] It's more likely it was organized by people who had no experience or idea about how hard it would be to organize something to the scale of this event.
[QUOTE=eatdembeanz;52161097]Since /pol/ and its subreddit spawn are now invested in making this another battleground in their culture war, I'd suggest not trusting any news you hear about it that aren't supported by photo or video evidence.[/QUOTE] yeah, it seems like twitter accounts of people who are actually there are the most trustworthy this dude's been live tweeting it [url]https://twitter.com/DylanACOP/with_replies[/url] he has a pretty informative string of tweets about the people at the event. doesn't seem like all trust-fund kiddies [img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5168294/ShareX/2017/04/chrome_2017-04-28_09-50-54.png[/img]
[QUOTE=V12US;52161127]It's more likely it was organized by people who had no experience or idea about how hard it would be to organize something to the scale of this event.[/QUOTE] I've been to some poorly organized events before, but never like this. This is some next level disorganization.
[QUOTE=elitehakor;52161130]yeah, it seems like twitter accounts of people who are actually there are the most trustworthy this dude's been live tweeting it [url]https://twitter.com/DylanACOP/with_replies[/url] he has a pretty informative string of tweets about the people at the event. doesn't seem like all trust-fund kiddies [img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5168294/ShareX/2017/04/chrome_2017-04-28_09-50-54.png[/img][/QUOTE] So... some people spent $20k!?!??
waiting for the reports of vats of kool-aid
Who the fuck spends 20k for a festival
[QUOTE=elitehakor;52161130]yeah, it seems like twitter accounts of people who are actually there are the most trustworthy this dude's been live tweeting it [url]https://twitter.com/DylanACOP/with_replies[/url] he has a pretty informative string of tweets about the people at the event. doesn't seem like all trust-fund kiddies [img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5168294/ShareX/2017/04/chrome_2017-04-28_09-50-54.png[/img][/QUOTE] going bankrupt for any music festival sounds pretty irresponsible
[QUOTE=troops;52161281]going bankrupt for any music festival sounds pretty irresponsible[/QUOTE] Especially[I] that[/I] lineup
[QUOTE=troops;52161281]going bankrupt for any music festival sounds pretty irresponsible[/QUOTE] Yeah even if the festival was a huge success idk why you would bankrupt yourself for it
[QUOTE=elitehakor;52161130]yeah, it seems like twitter accounts of people who are actually there are the most trustworthy this dude's been live tweeting it [url]https://twitter.com/DylanACOP/with_replies[/url] he has a pretty informative string of tweets about the people at the event. doesn't seem like all trust-fund kiddies [img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5168294/ShareX/2017/04/chrome_2017-04-28_09-50-54.png[/img][/QUOTE] That one about the guy who bankrupted himself to go to this farce then tried to make me feel sad for him bothers me. The kid was clearly an idiot for doing that. I really don't have sympathy. Even if the festival had gone perfectly it would still be stupid as hell to do that.
Thousands of people every year bankrupt themselves just to go to Ultra. The worst is when I hear about people taking time off from their part time job to travel across America to an event like ultra, knowingly spending their whole savings since last year's event. People make stupid decisions from time to time.
[QUOTE=Trekintosh;52161311]That one about the guy who bankrupted himself to go to this farce then tried to make me feel sad for him bothers me. The kid was clearly an idiot for doing that. I really don't have sympathy. Even if the festival had gone perfectly it would still be stupid as hell to do that.[/QUOTE] when i read that tweet i assumed that it was sort of like when [URL="https://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1196947&highlight="]i first bought a gaming pc[/URL] at age 16, i had specifically saved up £1200 to build the pc with and spent all the money i had in one go to get it. you could technically say that i "bankrupted" myself to buy the pc, but the term bankrupt is extremely strong here since I was living with my parents and had no actual income from employment so all i was really doing was spending some pocket money i'd saved up the way he said "boy" makes me think that it's more like that, incomeless kid saved up some cash from christmas or whatever and decided to spend it on a luxury event. if that's the case, i would say that it's not really stupid at all (unless you also think my pc purchase was stupid as hell) but yeah if he's an adult in employment with financial responsibilities i'd agree it was stupid
As much as it sucks for the poorer people who got fooled by this, I can't help but have a bit of glee at the idea of a bunch of trust-fund kids not even having pillows.
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.