• Bowe Bergdahl sentenced: Dishonorable Discharge, $10,000 fine, reduction to E-1 - no prison time
    75 replies, posted
[QUOTE]Fort Bragg, North Carolina (CNN)Bowe Bergdahl received a dishonorable discharge from the US Army but will avoid prison time for desertion and misbehavior before the enemy after abandoning his outpost in Afghanistan in 2009, a military judge ruled Friday. The judge also ruled that Bergdahl's rank be reduced from sergeant to private. Additionally, he will be required to pay a $1,000 fine from his salary for the next 10 months. "Sgt. Bergdahl has looked forward to today for a long time," Eugene Fidell, Bergdahl's civilian attorney, said at a press conference after the sentence's announcement. "As everyone knows he was a captive of the Taliban for nearly five years, and three more years have elapsed while the legal process unfolded. He has lost nearly a decade of his life." The sentence is effective immediately, except for the dishonorable discharge, which Bergdahl is appealing, according to Fidell. Bergdahl appeared visibly shaken as the sentence was announced, according to CNN affiliate WRAL. Two of his attorneys stood by his side with their hands on his back while the judge, Army Col. Jeffery R. Nance, read the sentence. The Army soldier, whom the Taliban held for five years after he deserted his Afghanistan outpost, pleaded guilty last month to the charges. Bergdahl was released in May 2014 in a controversial exchange for five Guantanamo Bay detainees. He originally faced the possibility of life in prison, but the prosecution asked the judge for a 14-year sentence. Bergdahl's attorneys asked Nance for a punishment of dishonorable discharge. Bergdahl had chosen to be tried by a military judge instead of a jury.[/QUOTE] [url]http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/03/politics/bowe-bergdahl-sentenced/index.html[/url] Looks like they let him off easy. A DD is still gonna suck for him though, that's the same as having a felony on your record.
[media]https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/926492915626663939[/media]
[QUOTE=Perrine;52851803][media]https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/926492915626663939[/media][/QUOTE] [I]what[/I] [editline]•[/editline] Clarify yourself, Mr. President. Was he let off too easy? Was he punished too harshly?
[QUOTE=Steel & Iron;52851814][I]what[/I] [editline]•[/editline] Clarify yourself, Mr. President. Was he let off too easy? Was he punished too harshly?[/QUOTE] He's clearly implying that he was let off easy. The man abandoned his post, may have gotten other servicemen killed, and had terrorists traded for his return. It would honestly be nice to have a president that didn't feel the need to voice his opinion on every single fucking issue.
Equivalent to a slap on the wrist, really.
[QUOTE=Zillamaster55;52851853]Equivalent to a slap on the wrist, really.[/QUOTE] his professional life is basically over. nobody is going to hire him
[QUOTE=Zillamaster55;52851853]Equivalent to a slap on the wrist, really.[/QUOTE] I can see why though. He was held captive for five years, it could be argued that was time served. I'm not saying that it's the appropriate decision, though.
He was captured, tortured, and left with mental trauma that he will likely never recover from. That is worse than any additional time he could have served in a US prison. The DD is the greatest punishment we could met out at this point without being unreasonable.
[QUOTE=Zillamaster55;52851853]Equivalent to a slap on the wrist, really.[/QUOTE] A dishonorable discharge from the military might as well be a felony on your record. Hope he doesnt want to claim vets preference on anything
[QUOTE=Perrine;52851803][media]https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/926492915626663939[/media][/QUOTE] [media]https://twitter.com/prdickinson/status/926479594462597120[/media]
As someone who has no real understanding of military culture - what is the significance of a dishonourable discharge? (I do understand that's bad, but how bad is it and why? )
it's the worst you can get other than being thrown straight into the brig.
[QUOTE=_Maverick_;52852244]As someone who has no real understanding of military culture - what is the significance of a dishonourable discharge? (I do understand that's bad, but how bad is it and why? )[/QUOTE] It's pretty much the harshest sentence they can hand down short of tacking 20 years at Fort Leavenworth Disciplinary Barracks onto it as well. Like I said, it's equivalent to having a felony on your record, you collect no benefits, no voting in certain states etc. It's the Army's way of saying "you're a piece of shit who can't be trusted, ever".
[QUOTE=Alxnotorious;52852009]He was captured, tortured, and left with mental trauma that he will likely never recover from. That is worse than any additional time he could have served in a US prison. The DD is the greatest punishment we could met out at this point without being unreasonable.[/QUOTE] correct me if im wrong but isnt this the guy that left without telling anyone and assumed he went missing? if so there were search parties that went underway to find this soldier and other soldiers were killed for his own selfish reasons. soldiers with families [QUOTE=_Maverick_;52852244]As someone who has no real understanding of military culture - what is the significance of a dishonourable discharge? (I do understand that's bad, but how bad is it and why? )[/QUOTE] your resume is marked, effectively nobody will hire you because the impression is you're a scumbag.
[QUOTE=_Maverick_;52852244]As someone who has no real understanding of military culture - what is the significance of a dishonourable discharge? (I do understand that's bad, but how bad is it and why? )[/QUOTE] It means that when you reside in the U.S. you do not exist.
[QUOTE=angrytoiletry;52852278]correct me if im wrong but isnt this the guy that left without telling anyone and assumed he went missing? if so there were search parties that went underway to find this soldier and other soldiers were killed for his own selfish reasons. soldiers with families [/QUOTE] Yes. [QUOTE=Psychokitten;52851699] Looks like they let him off easy. A DD is still gonna suck for him though, that's the same as having a felony on your record.[/QUOTE] I'm sure there are people out there who own businesses that see him as a hero or feel sorry for him.
I don't agree with no prison. Other soldiers were injured or killed looking for him. That really should mean something more.
Can somebody tell me what 'reduction to E-1' means? Is it like, a visa? a benefit?
[QUOTE=OmTheory;52852418]Can somebody tell me what 'reduction to E-1' means? Is it like, a visa? a benefit?[/QUOTE] he got demoted before kicked out its a big kick in the face because an e-1 is the first rate you get when you join. pretty sure its more so you cant say you got kicked out as a sergeant (e-5), but as a private
Fun fact, if the president openly calls for a particular punishment against someone the defense can use that as evidence that the jury is tainted and it would be impossible to get a fair trial, meaning they get a lighter sentence. Happened here and may happen with the truck attacker.
[QUOTE=angrytoiletry;52852452]he got demoted before kicked out its a big kick in the face because an e-1 is the first rate you get when you join. pretty sure its more so you cant say you got kicked out as a sergeant (e-5), but as a private[/QUOTE] what's funnier is you get automatically promoted to e-2 after 6 months. it's as if he got a dishonorable discharge like 2 months after training :v:
[QUOTE=Potus;52852364]I don't agree with no prison. Other soldiers were injured or killed looking for him. That really should mean something more.[/QUOTE] People keep saying this to appeal to emotion but it's wrong, no death has been directly attributed to the search for him. He was held prisoner by the Taliban for [I]years[/I] and now has a dishonorable discharge which alone will fuck his future prospects but the fine he was given was also probably for the sole purpose of negating a lot of the back pay he is owed during his time in captivity The army is to be blamed more for letting a mentally unstable person in in the first place after he was already rejected from the coast guard. Bergdahl has already been in a worse prison than anything the US could offer him (plus his time in holding during his trial), he has no future prospects, he's going to be broke, and he's one of the most hated people in the country. This isn't a slap on the wrist, he's going to be feeling the effects of what he's gone through for the rest of his life. What more could you possibly want?
[QUOTE=RainbowStalin;52852526]the jury is tainted and it would be impossible to get a fair trial, meaning they get a lighter sentence.[/QUOTE] if this happens then a mistrial is declared
dude suffered enough this is a just sentence
[QUOTE=RainbowStalin;52852526]Fun fact, if the president openly calls for a particular punishment against someone the defense can use that as evidence that the jury is tainted and it would be impossible to get a fair trial, meaning they get a lighter sentence. Happened here and may happen with the truck attacker.[/QUOTE] The defense specifically asked for a dishonorable discharge in lieu of prison time. They got what they wanted. It's going to be really hard now to turn around and try to fight it.
I know this won't be a popular opinion on Facepunch but as a deserter he should have been sentenced to death or at the very least life imprisonment at Fort Leavenworth. This was not civilian court, he was being tried under the UCMJ and the punishment for desertion goes up to life in prison and death. He did not do this while in America, he literally walked off of his post in a combat zone. He basically said "fuck you" to his comrades and left. And yes, soldiers were killed in the efforts to search for him. His cowardice got American soldiers killed. I have seen fellow Marines of mine face harsher punishments for things much less significant such as for drinking underage.
[QUOTE=milktree;52851913]his professional life is basically over. nobody is going to hire him[/QUOTE] He doesn't even need the DD for that. Any smart employer will google an applicant and nobody will hire a guy with a legacy like his. [editline]3rd November 2017[/editline] [QUOTE=jgerm529;52852723]I know this won't be a popular opinion on Facepunch but as a deserter he should have been sentenced to death or at the very least life imprisonment at Fort Leavenworth. This was not civilian court, he was being tried under the UCMJ and the punishment for desertion goes up to life in prison and death. He did not do this while in America, he literally walked off of his post in a combat zone. He basically said "fuck you" to his comrades and left. And yes, soldiers were killed in the efforts to search for him. His cowardice got American soldiers killed. I have seen fellow Marines of mine face harsher punishments for things much less significant such as for drinking underage.[/QUOTE] He didn't desert with the intent to aid enemy forces. He deserted because war was too much for him. IIRC the last time a servicemen was executed was in WWII. It hasn't been necessary since and its not necessary in this case.
[QUOTE=jgerm529;52852723]I know this won't be a popular opinion on Facepunch but as a deserter he should have been sentenced to death or at the very least life imprisonment at Fort Leavenworth. This was not civilian court, he was being tried under the UCMJ and the punishment for desertion goes up to life in prison and death. He did not do this while in America, he literally walked off of his post in a combat zone. He basically said "fuck you" to his comrades and left. And yes, soldiers were killed in the efforts to search for him. His cowardice got American soldiers killed. I have seen fellow Marines of mine face harsher punishments for things much less significant such as for drinking underage.[/QUOTE] well it sure is a good thing you arent involved in sentencing him, then or anyone else, for that matter.
[QUOTE=jgerm529;52852723]I know this won't be a popular opinion on Facepunch but as a deserter he should have been sentenced to death or at the very least life imprisonment at Fort Leavenworth.[/QUOTE] It's not a popular opinion because it's fucking insane.
[QUOTE=jgerm529;52852723]I know this won't be a popular opinion on Facepunch but as a deserter he should have been sentenced to death or at the very least life imprisonment at Fort Leavenworth. This was not civilian court, he was being tried under the UCMJ and the punishment for desertion goes up to life in prison and death. He did not do this while in America, he literally walked off of his post in a combat zone. He basically said "fuck you" to his comrades and left. And yes, soldiers were killed in the efforts to search for him. His cowardice got American soldiers killed. I have seen fellow Marines of mine face harsher punishments for things much less significant such as for drinking underage.[/QUOTE] we're not quite full russian yet buddy
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.