• Hurricane Thread: Rare Medicane struck Greece, kills 19, worst Greek disaster since 1977
    1,674 replies, posted
[QUOTE=Jelman;52635148]Someone pissed off mother nature. Now, own up, who did it?[/QUOTE] If I had to guess I'd say Trump breaking away from the Paris deal.
[QUOTE=Aide;52634699]Trump proposed cutting funding to NOAA in his version of a budget. NOAA would see a reduction of 900 million dollars.[/QUOTE] What the fuck. Honestly trump just pisses me off a lot more than I would have expected.
[QUOTE=HookerVomit;52634966]ive lived here most of my life and have seen some shit. I'm not too scared.. I mean there is always worry but unless its announced that its a state of emergency type deal where we will be underwater (as our teachers have been telling us throughout school that our state will be like Atlantis in a few years), im not panicking.[/QUOTE] Katrina 2.0
North Florida here, I live a few blocks from the beach and got damn lucky with Matthew. Besides some downed trees and debris we were largely unaffected, especially odd considering St. Augustine is roughly under an hour drive, and it was underwater. Atlantic & Neptune beach got pretty fucked as well. This one I dunno, I might have to leave town for my trip earlier than expected. Hoping this thing swings back out into the Atlantic and everyone further North stays safe.
New Yorker here (not NYC), we've already been screwed with enough hurricane memeshit since 2010 and with the recent less than great gas hikes, so if mother nature could just fuck right off that'd be amazing. edit: Actually, come and take all of long island / NYC away please, they're mean to us (except for that sweet [I]sweet[/I] tax revenue).
As long as it fucks off away from me until after the 6th... I've been in a few hurricanes now, and they're just wild and you can't listen to the CAT shit. Ivan's eye hit pretty far to my west as a Cat 3 (About 35-45 miles) and it fucked up everything. Hurricane Dennis' eye passed one mile to my west, as a Cat3, and the internet didn't even go down, nor the power, and that's the strongest part of a hurricane that hit me. They vary wildly
[QUOTE=Swiket;52635163]I don't remember them specifically but Katrina definitely knocked out our power for a week or two. I remember walking to the supermarket the day after, with water up to my knees. I think that's the worst I've ever experienced. I live in miami-dade btw[/QUOTE] you live very close to me. I almost stepped on a live pool of electric water and my bf at the time pushed me before i died. We were 15 and werent suppose to be outside because the entire city had a curfew
man if that hits us directly it's gonna be a huge disaster. we've been escaping direct hits for quite a few years now. we've been due to one but i'm not happy about it
Lot of people are going to be in trouble when it hits the Caribbean. I hope those countries heed the warning of the (more accurate) Euro model and prepare.
Holy shit. Going from a Tropical Storm into a Category 3 Hurricane in 12 hours is unprecedented. I hope and pray it won't intensify to Category 5, but if it follows the same trends it is now it may reach strengths unheard of.
[QUOTE=HookerVomit;52635070]Remember Irene and Wilma? We had no power in my entire city for 2 weeks (south broward area):v:[/QUOTE] Or Katrina and Rita, or Gustav and Ike.
[QUOTE=Flicky;52635379]Holy shit. Going from a Tropical Storm into a Category 3 Hurricane in 12 hours is unprecedented. I hope and pray it won't intensify to Category 5, but if it follows the same trends it is now it may reach strengths unheard of.[/QUOTE] That's absolutely terrifying. God speed to everyone effected.
Hope this doesn't hit Jacksonville. I got family down there.
I live in Volusia, right on the North East coast of Florida I hope it misses us, I had to evacuate for Matthew and I'd rather not deal with that mess again. :s:
SANDY ROUND TWOOOOOOO seriously though, this isn't good. assuming this comes up the coast, NJ and NY will get ruined for months again. believe it or not, even Philly got dicked in Sandy.
[QUOTE=TheMrFailz;52635245]New Yorker here (not NYC), we've already been screwed with enough hurricane memeshit since 2010 and with the recent less than great gas hikes, so if mother nature could just fuck right off that'd be amazing. edit: Actually, come and take all of long island / NYC away please, they're mean to us (except for that sweet [I]sweet[/I] tax revenue).[/QUOTE] Long Islander here. Please disregard this man, Mother Nature. We'd rather not have another Sandy on our assholes.
Quick question since it's relevant. Were nasty hurricanes this common further back in time as well? If so how the hell did anyone live in the Carribean?
[QUOTE=Destroyox;52635822]Quick question since it's relevant. Were nasty hurricanes this common further back in time as well? If so how the hell did anyone live in the Carribean?[/QUOTE] Some of the worst happened a century ago. [url]https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Category_5_Atlantic_hurricanes[/url] [editline]31st August 2017[/editline] Thing is, back then it was a lot harder to predict and prepare. One morning it's a regular day, the next your sea side village is underwater.
Time to roll the dice I guess. One of those forecasted tracks is literally going right up my asshole.
[QUOTE=HookerVomit;52634919]you in east coast florida too? We are so due for one. its been well over 10 years and im sure our shorelines on the east coast have since been disappearing. This could fuck us up bad if it hits east coast florida[/QUOTE] [I]*Worried laughter from the Keys*[/I]
[QUOTE=OvB;52634735]Hotter water = more intense hurricanes. Not necessarily more hurricanes. I've seen suggestions that climate change would result in fewer, more intense hurricanes. [editline]31st August 2017[/editline] In my opinion it's one of those things that doesn't matter. Whether or not climate change is "real" to you doesn't matter. Whether or not climate change will result in more or less hurricanes doesn't matter. The fact of the matter is the ocean is getting warmer. Hurricanes feed off warm oceans. We don't need model projections and forecasts to tell us that the combination of those two things is going to result in powerful hurricanes. It doesn't take much ocean warming, either. A degree makes a lot of difference. Also fun fact: There might be another one following just behind Irma. Don't know anything about it right now as it's just a little fella in Africa right now. Windy maps showing it as a hurricane just behind Irma by next week. [url]https://www.windy.com/?2017-09-07-18,20.674,-59.590,4,m:dXMaflN[/url][/QUOTE] I think it matters in terms of doing something about it. If we started doing something 30 years ago maybe the oceans wouldn't be so warm... If we try and tackle climate change then they won't get any worse and maybe eventually we can get the temperature down (big maybe) again. If we say oh climate change isn't real and we keep doing nothing about it then the oceans are just going to get warmer and these hurricanes will just get more and more intense. These type of events should really make the US kick it into high gear when it comes to combatting climate change, but apparently not these days.
[url=http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCPAT1+shtml/010239.shtml]NOAA reports that rapid intensification of Irma has ended[/url]. The Hurricane has settled at Category 3 for now. Its power is expected to fluctuate over the next few days.
[QUOTE=HookerVomit;52634966]ive lived here most of my life and have seen some shit. I'm not too scared.. I mean there is always worry but unless its announced that its a state of emergency type deal where we will be underwater (as our teachers have been telling us throughout school that our state will be like Atlantis in a few years), im not panicking.[/QUOTE] The last time a cat 5 hit, it leveled Miami. Evacuate or die if it comes here, I'm not even joking. This place is built from the ground up to survive a hurricane up to a cat 4 at most, a cat 5 is well beyond what any place can take. [t]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/54/Hurricane_andrew_fema_2563.jpg[/t] Sure, you can stay and be the lucky dude who lives in that tiny home in the image that for some reason didn't just get annihilated, but I'm not going to risk it myself. I've lived in Fort Lauderdale all my life, and I've been through every storm since Andrew, but I wasn't here for that one. I was too young to remember at the time, but my parents left the state and they have pictures of the destruction it wrought when they returned. [editline]1st September 2017[/editline] [QUOTE=Flicky;52636122][url=http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCPAT1+shtml/010239.shtml]NOAA reports that rapid intensification of Irma has ended[/url]. The Hurricane has settled at Category 3 for now. Its power is expected to fluctuate over the next few days.[/QUOTE] Thank God.
[QUOTE=ForgottenKane;52636605]The last time a cat 5 hit, it leveled Miami. Evacuate or die if it comes here, I'm not even joking. This place is built from the ground up to survive a hurricane up to a cat 4 at most, a cat 5 is well beyond what any place can take. [t]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/54/Hurricane_andrew_fema_2563.jpg[/t] Sure, you can stay and be the lucky dude who lives in that tiny home in the image that for some reason didn't just get annihilated, but I'm not going to risk it myself. I've lived in Fort Lauderdale all my life, and I've been through every storm since Andrew, but I wasn't here for that one. I was too young to remember at the time, but my parents left the state and they have pictures of the destruction it wrought when they returned. [editline]1st September 2017[/editline] Thank God.[/QUOTE] I've lived in Louisiana all my life, and I've lived through the same shit. I usually stay for all of them, but even I'm not sure if I would stay for a Cat 5. Also, that photo is a little disingenuous. That's a trailer park. That's the reason you don't stay in a trailer/mobile home even for a Cat 1 or 2. If you notice at the bottom and top of the picture, the actual houses are still here.
Just to update everyone on the storm's status; using info from the NOAA site, Irma is still at Category 3 and is expected to strengthen to Category 4 by Sunday. As to where it's going, the American and European models conflict and it's still too early to tell. At the moment, all we know is it's heading towards the Americas.
No more sandy plz. My house just barely avoided being flooded the first time.
Coastal VA here, if it comes barreling towards our throat I'm leaving.
[QUOTE=Xenomoose;52635629]Long Islander here. Please disregard this man, Mother Nature. We'd rather not have another Sandy on our assholes.[/QUOTE] Ok how about we compromise: Irma please take NYC but avoid the rest of long island and NY. For real though, this is going to suck balls if it heads up the hudson area.
What the fuck???? This can't be serious. [editline]derp[/editline] [QUOTE=OvB;52634637][img_thumb]http://i.imgur.com/xRA7n5N.png[/img_thumb] [img_thumb]http://i.imgur.com/DbbBlIN.png[/img_thumb][/QUOTE] Forgive my ignorance, but what's the second graph for? A second alternate predicted path for the hurricane?
I'm on the west coast of Florida, hopefully it doesn't wreck my shit.
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.