• Major Update Speculation Thread V2: Revenge of the Tobor
    10,002 replies, posted
i'm hoping there's like an item you get in tf2 if you create a map in the portal 2 editor. maybe like a aperture science test associate badge, or something?
[QUOTE=Scarabix;35768766]totally.[/QUOTE] last week's patch being so late made me think they have so much else they're doing at crunch time now, that they just shoved the weekly patch to the side and kind of cobbled it together last minute just to have one. I have this dark feeling the UI of the main menu will be overhauled... again. Seems they've been doing that once a year or so now for the last 2 years (right around this time of the year), we're about due for another big menu change.
[QUOTE=ajrhug;35765532]guys saxxies are may 5 may 5 is a saturday on PST valve never releases weekend updates right? :([/QUOTE] there's nothing to indicate it would be a year from last year's on the dot.
I really hope this isn't dragged into a "Year of F2P!" update and we're waiting for the anniversary of the Uber update for Meet the Pyro and some new cool weapons. With a lame Replay Pt II with some hats and some minor bug fixes for replays.
[QUOTE=ned_ballad;35769344]I really hope this isn't dragged into a "Year of F2P!" update and we're waiting for the anniversary of the Uber update for Meet the Pyro and some new cool weapons. With a lame Replay Pt II with some hats and some minor bug fixes for replays.[/QUOTE] I don't know Ned, they've said themselves that something secret is going to be announced. I don't think that even they could make a "A year of FTP" a big deal without some reasonable content. [quote]Just in case the Oscar mummies don’t recognize the subtle dramatic undertones of the uninterrupted blood explosion that is Meet the Pyro, we can always stack the deck at the Saxxys, our own awards show. This year, expect the Saxxys to be much bigger and better, [B]due to the imminent unveiling of another secret.[/B][/quote] Read those words and cross your fingers. SFM seems the most reasonable deduction but it could be anything!
I [I]really[/I] do appreciate Valve doing the weekly-ish update and bug fixes this year. Especially if they're meant to tide us over while they work on bigger things. I know they're not much, but you've got to respect that they're at least trying to maintain continual upkeep. My concern lies more in the fact that they've been quiet for so long, and, as many of you are mentioning, they've been quiet for so long on a game that is now F2P and relies on consistent content to placate an influx of players. Which means that they themselves are inadvertently building up whatever else they've been working on behind the scenes. Probably way more than they realize they are. And, when it finally comes out, it might not be half as exciting and grandiose and it needs to be for the amount of time they've been denying us smaller major updates. Basically, they're creating a [I]huge[/I] amount of hype for upcoming content that might not actually warrant it. It's like what happened with the Saxxies last year, but to a greater degree. At least last year they never actually admitted that MtM was coming before or after the awards were through, and yet that's exactly what nearly everyone assumed. And when it didn't happen, the perceived success of the Replay update was dramatically reduced. Now, I understand that was no one's fault but our own, but this year they've come right out and promised several "Big Secrets." If these "Big Secrets" turn out to be something half-assed, like another Medieval Mode," it's really going to tarnish their reputation to maintain TF2 as a fun, engaging, and continually innovative F2P game. Unfairly so, yes, but there'll still be a lot of impatient, rabid fans calling for blood. But, then again, this is Valve we're talking about. They have just as much a chance at knocking it right outta the park with an amazing, eye-popping, burninatingly brilliant series of surprises that sates everyone's appetite. tl;dr Valve is walking a very fine line of withholding content for too long and ultimately letting their fanbase down when if doesn't meet expectations. But Valve is Valve.
[QUOTE=Citizen Insane;35768586]I don't think it will happen, but it wouldn't surprise me either.[/QUOTE] TONIGHT MAY OR MAY NOT BE THE NIGHT.
[QUOTE=Izzy7s7;35769531]TONIGHT MAY OR MAY NOT BE THE NIGHT.[/QUOTE] It will totally happen during May, though.
Medieval mode isn't even a new gamemode. It's just melee only on a castle themed map.
[QUOTE=Drury;35769579]It will totally happen during May, though.[/QUOTE] Unless it happens tonight! :)
I wonder if they will add a new TC map! That would be great! *crickets sounds play* Don't worry... I know where the exit door is.
[QUOTE=Totenkreuz;35769591]Medieval mode isn't even a new gamemode. It's just melee only on a castle themed map.[/QUOTE] That was kinda my point. Here's hoping that's not what's in store for us.
[QUOTE=alpha00zero;35769622]I wonder if they will add a new TC map! That would be great! *crickets sounds play* Don't worry... I know where the exit door is.[/QUOTE] Team Captain map What is this?
[QUOTE=J-RcZ;35769673]Team Captain map What is this?[/QUOTE] [B]T[/B]erritorial [B]C[/B]ontrol. Hydro is the only TC map right now, and it's from 2007
[QUOTE=Jorori;35769688][B]T[/B]erritorial [B]C[/B]ontrol. Hydro is the only TC map right now, and it's from 2007[/QUOTE] Hey, you did not get my "New players don't know what territorial control is" joke
[QUOTE=IcyTruth;35768846]i'm hoping there's like an item you get in tf2 if you create a map in the portal 2 editor. maybe like a aperture science test associate badge, or something?[/QUOTE] COMPANION CUBE PIN REDUX [B]REDUX[/B] Hey people, still expecting an update? Your joy sure is cheerful. This is the last day of the month. Another month without any actual content. I'd like Valve to strike at the last moment like they did with the Mannconomy, but since I know it won't happen, I'll just be waiting. It's incredibly annoying how the first update of the year that is pretty much confirmed is the Halloween Update.
[QUOTE=SLBros.;35769713] It's incredibly annoying how the first update of the year that is pretty much confirmed is the Halloween Update.[/QUOTE] [img]http://www.teamfortress.com/images/posts/2012_d.jpg[/img] Does this count?
[img]http://niggaupload.com/images/kl9f2.png[/img] This is actually really sad
[QUOTE=wunderufl;35769509]I [I]really[/I] do appreciate Valve doing the weekly-ish update and bug fixes this year. Especially if they're meant to tide us over while they work on bigger things. I know they're not much, but you've got to respect that they're at least trying to maintain continual upkeep. My concern lies more in the fact that they've been quiet for so long, and, as many of you are mentioning, they've been quiet for so long on a game that is now F2P and relies on consistent content to placate an influx of players. Which means that they themselves are inadvertently building up whatever else they've been working on behind the scenes. Probably way more than they realize they are. And, when it finally comes out, it might not be half as exciting and grandiose and it needs to be for the amount of time they've been denying us smaller major updates. Basically, they're creating a [I]huge[/I] amount of hype for upcoming content that might not actually warrant it. It's like what happened with the Saxxies last year, but to a greater degree. At least last year they never actually admitted that MtM was coming before or after the awards were through, and yet that's exactly what nearly everyone assumed. And when it didn't happen, the perceived success of the Replay update was dramatically reduced. Now, I understand that was no one's fault but our own, but this year they've come right out and promised several "Big Secrets." If these "Big Secrets" turn out to be something half-assed, like another Medieval Mode," it's really going to tarnish their reputation to maintain TF2 as a fun, engaging, and continually innovative F2P game. Unfairly so, yes, but there'll still be a lot of impatient, rabid fans calling for blood. But, then again, this is Valve we're talking about. They have just as much a chance at knocking it right outta the park with an amazing, eye-popping, burninatingly brilliant series of surprises that sates everyone's appetite. tl;dr Valve is walking a very fine line of withholding content for too long and ultimately letting their fanbase down when if doesn't meet expectations. But Valve is Valve.[/QUOTE] I agree, Valve can be pretty...um...well, I'm not saying they're liars, but they do some "unethical"(ish) things sometimes, and sometimes its not even their fault or they don't realize it. Look what Bethesda did like a week or so ago. EVERYONE and their dog thought that old greasy man picture was going to be for Skyrim DLC. Bethesda knew people would make instantly think this, then when it turned out to be Dishonored, fans felt cheated, and all I think its going to do is hurt Dishonored's marketing. I think something really cool is around the corner though. I still remember those leaked sound files everyone found, talking about the robot boss with the frikkin laser beams, rocket launchers, grenade launchers, and a nuke. That sounds insane! And FUN!
[QUOTE=J-RcZ;35769789][img]http://niggaupload.com/images/kl9f2.png[/img] This is actually really sad[/QUOTE] I kept watching this shit grow with each update last year, telling myself "Oh boy, there's no way 2012 is gonna have more updates than this!" unfortunately, I was right. Edit: Also, fancy image host you got yourself there.
[QUOTE=Scarabix;35770059]Edit: Also, fancy image host you got yourself there.[/QUOTE] I fucking love that site
[QUOTE=MrCasual;35770020]Look what Bethesda did like a week or so ago. EVERYONE and their dog thought that old greasy man picture was going to be for Skyrim DLC. Bethesda knew people would make instantly think this, then when it turned out to be Dishonored, fans felt cheated, and all I think its going to do is hurt Dishonored's marketing.[/QUOTE] There was a guy with a trenchcoat to the right of the guy in the center of that pic, which to me immediately meant Dishonored. Maybe Bethesda did what you're suggesting they did, but there is no way that that will have any negative impact on Dishonored, especially with the trailer that was attached to the announcement. Anyone feeling "cheated" set themselves up to feel that way. Oh wait, this is a TF2 thread? Oh boy, I can't wait for this week's hat!
[B]THREAD MUSIC INBOUND[/B] BRACE YOUR TITS [video=youtube;s6re-yRPKsM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6re-yRPKsM[/video]
[QUOTE=J-RcZ;35770153]I fucking love that site[/QUOTE] NiggaPower rules.
classy [editline]30th April 2012[/editline] in other news HL3 to be announced TODAY [img]http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg811/scaled.php?server=811&filename=gbep2.jpg&res=landing[/img]
-snip-
[QUOTE=ned_ballad;35770402]classy [editline]30th April 2012[/editline] in other news HL3 to be announced TODAY [img]http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg811/scaled.php?server=811&filename=gbep2.jpg&res=landing[/img][/QUOTE] They've got to be trolling. ...Right?
I did stupid imgur [QUOTE=Goodwell;35770449]They've got to be trolling. ...Right?[/QUOTE] If they are IGN is in something deep
[QUOTE=ned_ballad;35770451]I did stupid imgur If they are IGN is in something deep[/QUOTE] While i don't exactly like IGN (pretty sure very few actually do, if any) i don't think they're physically capable of trolling. Valve can, they're good at it. Good enough to make it some form of art. Still, seems kinda fishy they'd say something like [I]that [/I]only to be followed by Valve saying HEY GUYS KEEP YOUR EYES ON THIS.
[QUOTE=Goodwell;35770495]While i don't exactly like IGN (pretty sure very few actually do, if any) i don't think they're physically capable of trolling. Valve can, they're good at it. Good enough to make it some form of art. Still, seems kinda fishy they'd say something like [I]that [/I]only to be followed by Valve saying HEY GUYS KEEP YOUR EYES ON THIS.[/QUOTE] It doesn't seem like Valve is saying to keep an eye on them. Just mentioning that they have them.
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.