• TF2 Emporium XXIV
    5,001 replies, posted
[QUOTE=Shugo;25611562]Just a fun little project: I've been messing around with creating additional item sets since there are a lot of unused item set bonus effects in the attributes. I'd kind of like to see if Valve decides to make item sets out of existing items later on down the line. Would be interesting. Here's one I just quickly made up using a couple Spy attributes and items I already had: [IMG_thumb]http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/764/extravagantspy.png[/IMG_thumb] It's mad fun playing like this against bots. :buddy: I did exercise a small amount of cleverness in this set: I made it require the default knife but without actually listing it there; if I listed the default knife, then renamed knives wouldn't be eligible and vice versa. But you can't use Your Eternal Reward because the set bonus is all about disguising. Am I clever? :v: [editline]derp[/editline] Or wait...you can disguise with Your Eternal Reward on backstab. Guess I'm dumb. :saddowns:[/QUOTE] Make set bonuses for all of the original weapons!
[QUOTE=plack213;25614665]Make set bonuses for all of the original weapons![/QUOTE] But please try not to include hats. Or make versions without hats included.
[QUOTE=plack213;25614665]Make set bonuses for all of the original weapons![/QUOTE] But set bonuses keep people from finding creative and effective item combinations.
[QUOTE=Marik Bentusi;25614694]But set bonuses keep people from finding creative and effective item combinations.[/QUOTE] It's true, but it was just an idea to mess around with.
[QUOTE=murphy7;25614148][img_thumb]http://www.abload.de/img/clipboard02upph.png[/img_thumb] Still very wip-ish.[/QUOTE] Oh my god, make an animation where she slowly rotates her head to the right and then... opens up her mouth like an alien. So fitting :ohdear:
If that hat ever gets ingame the unusual flames effect for it should be renamed "Burning Patriotism"
[IMG_THUMB]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2615818/thesovietsprinter.jpg[/IMG_THUMB] For some reason the name "The Soviet Sprinter won't show up. How did you get your to work Shugo?
The Pro Sniper set bonus: - Gibus - Mercenary - Sniper Rifle - Razorback - Tribalman's Shiv - Upon a kill, you will automatically taunt. - A dominated opponent will automatically disconnect.
[QUOTE=Samuelgames;25614395]I think I'm getting better at making textures, Even thought I still use Paint.NET [img_thumb]http://imgur.com/OMkND.gif[/img_thumb] vs [img_thumb]http://imgur.com/N2lYF.gif[/img_thumb] and [img_thumb]http://imgur.com/akls5.png[/img_thumb] Anything else I should change?[/QUOTE] Did you enable normal maps in the Model Viewer when you took those shots?
Yes I've added a dummy normal map so Phong would appear correctly on the model, That seam is because my UV map is terrible and I'm still tweaking the texture
Time for some audience participation! If you're in Europe, rate agree. If you're in America, rate disagree. If you're anywhere else, rate artistic. We'd like to know what the Emporium demographic is. If any flyers about henchman vacancies drop on your doormat it is to be considered purely coincidental.
[QUOTE=Saint Jimmy;25614197]I see you have finally delved into item editing Shugo! There a re some very interesting unused attributes in there, with some interesting combinations. I'm gonna have a ago at making an item set using existing unlocks, any suggestions?[/QUOTE] "Finally"? I've been doing this since forever, just keeping it to myself. :v: It just kind of hit me last night and I went "oh hey, I could make custom set bonuses". Would be neat if Valve came up with interesting modifications for certain item combinations. You could use the item combination by itself like you always did, or you can don a certain hat and gain an extra effect or two. I must say, though, the "Extravagant Espionage" set I came up with just as a test actually works kind of well. It's hard to test Spy sets against bots, though, because as soon as you uncloak or enter the room they all IMMEDIATELY NOTICE YOU and stare at you while you kind of fumble around, trying to act 'disguised'. I'd like to test it against real people instead. I suppose I could take a crack at making actual set ideas and balancing them out, though. Like Pilk said, they should probably aim to address certain issues or promote/reward certain playstyles on certain classes. The game is jam packed with unused attributes at this point, so the amount of things I can do with set bonuses is actually quite versatile. Give me some ideas, but let's try not to turn this into a balance argument. :v:
I think set bonuses are horrible, some Mann Co scout beat me the other day just because he was wearing a different hat. Fuck off.
Its an inscentive to get those items neo. I made myself an attendant the other day becuase of A) I could get that hat right of the bat, no guesswork, and B) It gives me a setbonus
It doesn't matter much about the balance, it's always fun to mess about with. I don't see the hate on the item sets personally, they make up for weaknesses in that particular item combination, to make it more desirable to combine these weapons together. If you see a scout with the milkman hat and he is weilding the shortstop, the chances are he is using the rest of the set weapons, and you should attack accordingly. Also I never make spy weapons, purely because they are a pain to test, though if you can get them hosted on a server it's more fun. At the time of the TF2 closed beta, I got my makeshift GRU, PDQ and Fireproof Suit hosted on a server. It was great fun.
The bonuses suck. At the very least hats need to be taken away.
The way I see hats fit into the set equation is that they function as the "enabler" to the set. Some set bonuses also have downsides to them, like the Pyro's Polycount set. Maybe I don't want +10% bullet damage vulnerability; maybe I just want my Degreaser and Powerjack as they are. But I do agree, it needs to not be tied to something as rare as hats. Would be much better if they simply had a button in the loadout that enables/disables the set bonus when you have the right combination of weapons equipped.
No I think set bonuses should just completely go away, it's meant to be all about the combined effect of using weapons together. You can tell what weapon someones using, but you can't tell what set bonus they have for sure until they've shown you all their weapons or they kill you and it informs you, it just ain't right.
[QUOTE=Shugo;25615456]But I do agree, it needs to not be tied to something as rare as hats. Would be much better if they simply had a button in the loadout that enables/disables the set bonus when you have the right combination of weapons equipped.[/QUOTE] Wouldn't exactly work. You could never tell whether or not an enemy is using the set bonus. And every time I read the Emporium, you seem to post a second after I go back to the subforum.
someone needs to get that evil pack to replace the saharan spy as a skin set
I think A B.A. has the right idea here. It's tied to hats so that you can visually tell what bonus they have right off the bat. The problem here is obviously that hats are so God damn rare if you don't want to pony up the cash for them.
I see Samuelgames just migrated? He went from Artistic to Agree. Welcome to Europe!
Except you don't always use those weapons with the set so you could be like: "hur hur gonna own that pyro superfast then have time to turn round and take out the soldier" but you'd be wrong because he has the Axtinguisher equipped not the Powerjack It's a minor thing, but it just ain't right.
Boldly abusing top-of-the-page privileges, there was a viewer demographic last page, I'd like you all to participate. If you haven't yet, please hop back a page and rate!
[QUOTE=NeoDement;25615591]Except you don't always use those weapons with the set so you could be like: "hur hur gonna own that pyro superfast then have time to turn round and take out the soldier" but you'd be wrong because he has the Axtinguisher equipped not the Powerjack It's a minor thing, but it just ain't right.[/QUOTE] Yeah. I know what you mean. It's basically the entire "On Wearer" attribute system in general. You could say this kind of thing has been in the game since stuff like the Pain Train came about. It's a neat idea to implement, but the ramifications of "just what is my enemy capable of" cause discomfort for some people, like you. I don't really see any real true solutions to the problem, though, other than A) remove all these items from the game entirely after them having been in for so long or B) put a huge sign over everyone's head that says "THIS IS MY LOADOUT: I'M CARRYING X PRIMARY AND Y SECONDARY". Neither really seems like the best idea. This kind of discussion and debating is starting to feel off-topic to the Emporium, though. I'm sorry for bringing this kind of thing up. I was just screwing around with script editing. :saddowns:
I'm surprised people didn't know you could do it already... I thought we all knew you could but didn't because emporium is for artistic stuff.
On-topic, this is as far as I got before XSI crashed 4 ever. [img_thumb]http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/draw/402552746338bd919e64a233e3e60e17.jpg[/img_thumb]
Rate me late if somebody's mentioned this already, but if they have the set hat, it's fairly logical to assume they have it's bonus.
i have the attendant and i use defaults and the homewrecker thank you very much
That airblast charging mechanic was an idea I submitted with my Pilot Light flamethrower... It's cool to see they tried it out, and gives hope that my flamer might make it in game some time... [sp]optimistic?[/sp]
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.