• TF2 Emporium 30
    5,001 replies, posted
[QUOTE=Shugo;28392573]Never understood why all these people who can model and texture have always resorted to complaining about it looking terrible rather than fixing it. Everyone just seems so hateful toward certain TF2 items... Can't we all get along? :smith:[/QUOTE] Because no matter how many fixes it still isn't good officially.
[QUOTE=NapyDaWise;28388738]Actually.... Parazit03 and I want to start a "FIT THE GODDAM ARTSTYLE" update. We're gonna change every weapons and hats that a true mercenary won't take on the battlefield, but we're also gonna try to keep the original item idea (so a promo should be inspired from the original game, etc.). First phase will be the obvious non-fitting items like Rift items, candy cane, dapper topper... Second will be the rest of the items, but we won't touch the medieval things And last one, if people are asking for it, we'll change the medieval items into something 1950ish. (also, probably starting with the rift items, candy cane, and dr dapper topper.)[/QUOTE] It appears that you guys are gonna model something for each offender so you're in for a lot of work! So many bad hats. This is sorta what I've done with my private mod. I'm all for fitting silly like the camera beard (I love things like Our Man Flint) but Indian chief headdresses are too much. I had to toe this line so everything didn't turn "grrrrr realistic". I replaced all the hats that I deemed not fitting to the theme with more appropriate mod hats. I had also planned on adjusting class hats for other classes too. A wise man once said that he would rather have a bunch of hats that looked the same but were fitting then a bunch unfitting hats. But I work too much so all I ever did was give the pyro a fedora. Not that that is very fitting either but it was practice. Few things I noticed while doing this that might help you or are at least informative: 1. The soldier's head is small enough that quite a few hats work on him without any adjustment, like the Ten Gallon, Top Hat, and the Drinking Hat, although you can still see his eyes. I personally went with the Uncle Sam on the Dapper Topper as it's appropriate enough to me. 2. The Demo and Pyro are severely deficient in the fitting mod hat category. Good luck. 3. There are really no mod all-class hats so really you have the gibus, gibus2010, world traveller, and wiki cap to mod for everything else. 4. Opinion list of worst weapon offenders: Candy Cane, Sun on a Stick, Lava Ax, Holy Mackerel, Mad Milk, Frying Pan, Backscratcher, Headtaker, Crossbow, Steak, and Warrior Spirit. I think cases could be made for Equalizer, Powerjack, Fists of Steel, and Jarate also. I'm really interested in what you guys come up with!
Oh! Concept for holy mackeral replacement: A microphone. The fish is normal, except it announces things, so a tool good for announcing works well I think.
Remember, the Bombing Run was originally a Tank Driver's helmet for the Soldier. It's even in an emporium somewhere...
Oh shit, we're fixing the artstyle? Good idea, Emporium!
[QUOTE=Galago;28393421]Oh shit, we're fixing the artstyle? Good idea, Emporium![/QUOTE] maybe you should make a website about it! oh wait...
[QUOTE=Zebus;28393432]maybe you should make a website about it! oh wait...[/QUOTE] Didn't Galago do his bit towards the website? Didn't he even show it to the emporium? I thought it was other people involved that led to it dieing...
[QUOTE=theharribokid;28393629]Didn't Galago do his bit towards the website? Didn't he even show it to the emporium? I thought it was other people involved that led to it dieing...[/QUOTE] ssh facts don't matter when we're taking the piss
You guys are taking up quite the challenge, and I love that about you all. A very noble challenge indeed. If anything needs retexturing to fit, let me know; really that's the extent of my ability, but I'd love to help.
[QUOTE=MugenOverlord;28393785]You guys are taking up quite the challenge, and I love that about you all. A very noble challenge indeed. If anything needs retexturing to fit, let me know; really that's the extent of my ability, but I'd love to help.[/QUOTE] Could you get this skin working again so the gatsby isn't just a blob? [url]http://www.gamebanana.com/skins/91586[/url]
[QUOTE=dire_luck;28393956]Could you get this skin working again so the gatsby isn't just a blob? [url]http://www.gamebanana.com/skins/91586[/url][/QUOTE] What's wrong with it right now?
[img]http://sparkwire.thanez.net/tf2/lead%20pipe/pipe.jpg[/img] started on the lowpoly tonight, gonna finish tomorrow. whoever wants to skin it, pm me on fp or ask me on steam!!!!
Is anybody gonna take on that Medigun-candycane idea?
[QUOTE=Detroit Matt;28394222]Is anybody gonna take on that Medigun-candycane idea?[/QUOTE] To be fair, taking up your idea would mean making custom animations as the scout gunna need to use two hands to hold the thing so it's quite a difficult mod request
the magic of normal maps. this is why i decided to make a high poly in the first place. low poly [img]http://gyazo.com/4dd2d27fa66e525864c907781eb37163.png[/img] low poly with the normal map applied [img]http://gyazo.com/bdf3dc6d42aef688920bf382c940f777.png[/img] another angle low poly [img]http://gyazo.com/ede236ffd66fae403c04a9e0ff546d71.png[/img] low poly with the normal map applied [img]http://gyazo.com/b1a5ecce638704c043c0f80b61dbd9af.png[/img] pretty spiffy, eh?
[QUOTE=MugenOverlord;28394140]What's wrong with it right now?[/QUOTE] It just doesn't do anything when installed. I think it might have something to do with the new textures that were introduced in the man-conomy update. [editline]3rd March 2011[/editline] Then again I'm no skinning expert, so I wouldn't know.
[QUOTE=dire_luck;28394325]It just doesn't do anything when installed. I think it might have something to do with the new textures that were introduced in the man-conomy update. [editline]3rd March 2011[/editline] Then again I'm no skinning expert, so I wouldn't know.[/QUOTE] Looking at the normal textures, I noticed something interesting: they're completely white. It also loads a completely new file: "medic_gatsby.vtf", whereas that skin uses "medic_gatsby_red.vtf" and likewise for blue. Then I saw this in the vmt: [code]"$colortint_base" "{39 52 62}" // put the RGB value of whats being colored when no paint is present, if $blendtintcoloroverbase is 0 then put [1 1 1] here.[/code] So it's basically painting the hat without having paint on it. So, by removing this line from the vmt, and renaming the files, it should work. Let me try it and get back to you on that. edit: [IMG]http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x22/mugenoverlord/success2.png[/IMG] Success! Just go into the .vmt's, and change "medic_gatsby" to "medic_gatsby_red" and "medic_gatsby_blue" respectively.
My god that fully team-colored skin makes his hats look awful if they're not team spirited.
[QUOTE=Keychain;28394551]My god that fully team-colored skin makes his hats look awful if they're not team spirited.[/QUOTE] ignore the terrible skin I was using it as a placeholder while I was working on something edit: changed the picture so your eyes don't bleed
[QUOTE=theharribokid;28394315]To be fair, taking up your idea would mean making custom animations as the scout gunna need to use two hands to hold the thing so it's quite a difficult mod request[/QUOTE] I don't see why he needs to use two hands. If it looks too big and heavy, scale it down, break some parts off, whatever.
[QUOTE=MugenOverlord;28394486]Looking at the normal textures, I noticed something interesting: they're completely white. It also loads a completely new file: "medic_gatsby.vtf", whereas that skin uses "medic_gatsby_red.vtf" and likewise for blue. Then I saw this in the vmt: [code]"$colortint_base" "{39 52 62}" // put the RGB value of whats being colored when no paint is present, if $blendtintcoloroverbase is 0 then put [1 1 1] here.[/code] So it's basically painting the hat without having paint on it. So, by removing this line from the vmt, and renaming the files, it should work. Success! Just go into the .vmt's, and change "medic_gatsby" to "medic_gatsby_red" and "medic_gatsby_blue" respectively.[/QUOTE] DL for the lazy?
[QUOTE=Corndog Ninja;28394790]DL for the lazy?[/QUOTE] [url]http://www.mediafire.com/?udjdku58qaskv01[/url] Not really worth a preview.
[QUOTE=MugenOverlord;28394855][url]http://www.mediafire.com/?udjdku58qaskv01[/url] Not really worth a preview.[/QUOTE] Yay! Thanks so much man. [editline]3rd March 2011[/editline] Wait, it isn't paintable, is it?
[QUOTE=dire_luck;28395008]Yay! Thanks so much man. [editline]3rd March 2011[/editline][/QUOTE] no problem :) [QUOTE=dire_luck;28395008]Wait, it isn't paintable, is it?[/QUOTE] Probably not, since it's an old texture :( And gimp is a nightmare for me, so you might have to get someone else to do that... Also I may possibly maybe uncertainly texturing spark's lead pipe, I need to see the texture map first. If it's obnoxious, it's probably best I didn't do it. >.>
god bless the souls behind the artstyle update
[QUOTE=Robmortar;28395122]god bless the souls behind the artstyle update[/QUOTE] hallelujah! Praaaiise the Daimao!
Thank goodness for this Artstyle update fix. Even though I live like 5 minutes from where Dr. Seuss actually lived, I hate the Dr. Seuss hat in TF2...
[QUOTE=Detroit Matt;28394664]I don't see why he needs to use two hands. If it looks too big and heavy, scale it down, break some parts off, whatever.[/QUOTE] It was my idea, and I originally said it should be broken. The idea was that milk would be replaced with a cracked Kritzkrieg core (the glowy bit) and the candy cane would be replaced with the rest of the Kritzkrieg. He'd pretty much hold it by a thin bar that the core used to be fixed upon. Repostan [QUOTE=Pfysicyst;28104716]Ideas at 4 A.M. are bound to be better than most of the posts recently! It seems a lot of people in the Emporium either A) Don't like how the silly weapons clash with the style of the game or B) Can model. I made up a list of more serious model alternatives that could be used for the sillier weapons. I hope some of you want to take this up! [Candy Cane -> Medical MASHer] An homage to the Medic-murdering skills of Scouts: a busted Medigun. Some parts of it are broken off, making it easier to hold and use as a bat. Makes a helluva lot more sense for dropping health kits and dealing out beatings than a candy cane. [Sun-On-A-Stick -> Branding Iron] Enemy has to be on fire to cause the iron to burn and sink deeper into the flesh! Simple! Also there's that unused branding iron in the game files. [Mad Milk -> Cracked Core] In the same vein as the MASHer, this is the glowing chunky part of a Kritzkrieg, which is possibly pulled from the Medical MASHer. I really can't think of anything else Scout could throw at someone to return health to him every time he damages them. Mysterious healing technology! Could use a cool Medigun beam style particle effect for when it makes contact with people/environments. [Holy Mackerel -> Mineral Smackerel] Oh man, that name. Anyway, shove a lead pipe through the fish. The jigglebones look terrible and busted (at least to me) most of the time anyway. Makes more sense now for a floppy fish to do as much damage as an aluminum bat. [Volcano Axe -> Flint and Render] An axe made mostly of stone and steel. The axe is constructed so the back of the head actually hits the handle when you strike someone. The steel head and stone handle contact to cause the fire. Not entirely realistic, but hey, it needs to set someone on fire. Also I do no expect at all for there to be an animation that shows the striking. Seeing a plausible-looking mechanism for causing this in first-person will be more than good enough. Thoughts? Boxes? Spanners?[/QUOTE]
I have no interest in models taken from other classes
Mad Milk and Holy Mackeral don't need changing imo. They are the least of our troubles.
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.