• 230-ton Airbus stopping in midair for a few seconds
    33 replies, posted
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c22XRtCEfV8[/media] Copy paste from the video description: This is what happens when a 230-ton Airbus A330 has the right angle of attack, the right low speed and the right amount of head wind: it gets suspended in the middle of the sky for a few seconds. It feels like it's flying in slow motion, then it freezes for a couple of seconds and keeps moving in slow motion. The phenomenon has an easy explanation: the Airbus is making a very slow low pass, taking advantage of the very strong head wind combined with the minimun air speed and a high angle of attack to achieve lift for its flaps configuration (which is hard to see from the ground). This produces extremely low ground speed, which results from the A330's air speed minus the speed of the head wind. The combination of this ground speed and the A330's size give the viewer the sensation of a plane almost frozen in midair.
I wonder what that looked like from the plane
Amazing. Simply amazing.
This happened on my flight out of Vegas about a year ago. First time flying. Almost shit my pants.
[QUOTE=Antonahill;33206906][media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c22XRtCEfV8[/media] Copy paste from the video description: This is what happens when a 230-ton Airbus A330 has the right angle of attack, the right low speed and the right amount of head wind: it gets suspended in the middle of the sky for a few seconds. It feels like it's flying in slow motion, then it freezes for a couple of seconds and keeps moving in slow motion. The phenomenon has an easy explanation: the Airbus is making a very slow low pass, taking advantage of the very strong head wind combined with the minimun air speed and a high angle of attack to achieve lift for its flaps configuration (which is hard to see from the ground). This produces extremely low ground speed, which results from the A330's air speed minus the speed of the head wind. The combination of this ground speed and the A330's size give the viewer the sensation of a plane almost frozen in midair.[/QUOTE] Very cool looking, but if the wind changes direction suddenly for just a few seconds. Crash.
[QUOTE=TheTalon;33208250]Very cool looking, but if the wind changes direction suddenly for just a few seconds. Crash.[/QUOTE]No if the wind changed direction the plane would speed up at the same rate that the wind was changing in speed, have you ever seen a leaf blowing in a wind which keeps changing speed?
Wow. I love long international flights that start epically like this :D (i've flown a lot :D)
[QUOTE=Kondor58;33208569]No if the wind changed direction the plane would speed up at the same rate that the wind was changing in speed, have you ever seen a leaf blowing in a wind which keeps changing speed?[/QUOTE] The plane wouldn't suddenly speed up. What's keeping it in the air is the air passing over its wings, which is just enough to keep it in the air. If you look at its angle of attack, it's pitched quite high but not gaining altitude, meaning he's right at the thresh hold for a stall if he loses any more speed (The head wind slows down, or changes direction) It will fall. He has no altitude to gain any forward momentum in the case of the wind changing direction Ever heard of Wind shear? It's basically that, that I'm referring to. Horizontal Wind Shear
Clearly this was done by aliens
So simple high alpha
I've seen birds do this! Late!
Airbus? You mean a plane, right?
[QUOTE=Applecrap;33209759]Airbus? You mean a plane, right?[/QUOTE] Airbus is a company.
[QUOTE=Rastadogg5;33209874]Airbus is a company.[/QUOTE] Airbus is obviously what europeans call airplanes.
[QUOTE=GetBent;33209963]Airbus is obviously what europeans call airplanes.[/QUOTE] In England we call it a velocipede.
I saw this happen once on the way to the airport. No one believed me.
[QUOTE=TheTalon;33208250]Very cool looking, but if the wind changes direction suddenly for just a few seconds. Crash.[/QUOTE] As the head wind goes down, the plane speeds up and so the speed of the plane relative to the surrounding air stays the same, and so it will stay flying, in basic terms
I do that when flying in gliders. As the minimum airspeed is even lower, I once actually flew backwards.
[QUOTE=Kondor58;33208569]No if the wind changed direction the plane would speed up at the same rate that the wind was changing in speed, have you ever seen a leaf blowing in a wind which keeps changing speed?[/QUOTE] a leaf doesn't weigh 230 tons.
[QUOTE=umx48;33216840]a leaf doesn't weigh 230 tons.[/QUOTE] [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonov_An-225[/url] Over 314 US Tons and still flies.
I always see a C-17 Aircraft doing this.
Must have been horrifying for the people in the plane.
shit im goin on a plane tomorrow!!
I remember looking out the window one windy day and was greeted by a crow trapped in midair in a similar fashion. It was like "sup!" and flew away!
It looks like the server lagged for a bit and the model just kept moving. I was expecting it to jump back to its original position and carry on flying as normal from there.
-snip-
Looks almost like a VTOL Airbus
[B]Physics is fucking cool.[/B]
[QUOTE=Kondor58;33208569]No if the wind changed direction the plane would speed up at the same rate that the wind was changing in speed, have you ever seen a leaf blowing in a wind which keeps changing speed?[/QUOTE] It flips end over end before smashing into the sidewalk?
The sound of the turbines cranking up near the end makes me rock hard.
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.