• Portal 2 Megathread Mark VI - Anticipation Speculation Preparation Station
    5,000 replies, posted
i am sure it did not overheat. I keep my case open at all times otherwise the graphic card would not fit and from a touch of a hand it is not over 35 celsius. Posting from my phone.
[QUOTE=JurajIsNotPirat;29065860]i am sure it did not overheat. I keep my case open at all times otherwise the graphic card would not fit and from a touch of a hand it is not over 35 celsius. Posting from my phone.[/QUOTE] Keeping your case open doesn't mean it's well ventilated. In some cases it can actually screw up the airflow. And it feeling 35c on the outside doesn't actually mean it's 35c on the inside, and these things usually get cold pretty fast as well. I wouldn't rule out an overheat, but what do I know eh?
[QUOTE=nightlord;29065736]My point about thinking outside the box was that Aperture wouldn't have had: Excursion funnels, Portal gun, emancipation grid, any of the gels etc if they cared about safety. You are basing Black Mesa being more successful on things which aren't shown in the game. From the things ingame, Aperture was more successful. It wouldn't even matter if GLaDOS finished the Portal gun. It still meant Aperture made it.[/QUOTE] I still listed a number of things that Black Mesa invented. Anti-mass spectrometer, the Lambda Core teleporters, a number of experimental weapons, HEV suits, long-jump modules (which they invented specifically for exploring Xen), robots and high energy lasers that can burn through thick concrete walls. And they researched alien life. Solely from exploring the facility in Half-Life, we know that they did all of the following (and I totally stole the text): Black Mesa undertakes research in various fields from standard scientific research to radiation, rocketry, theoretical physics, lasers, experimental propulsion, hydraulics, robotics, hydroelectricity, genetics, zoology, applied mathematics and a very wide spectrum of research into chemistry and all manner of physics research. [QUOTE=nightlord;29065778]You are saying Aperture didn't invent some of the stuff because GLaDOS helped. The G-man brought in the Crystal sample, does that mean Black Mesa didn't open a portal? If he didn't do that, Aperture would have won.[/QUOTE] Glados developed it after Black Mesa was gone; it was a hole in the desert. The world's population was moving into cities under military protection because alien life was taking over. Aperture Science wasn't a company anymore, it was just Glados and her test subjects. And the crystal sample that G-Man delivered didn't have anything to do with teleportation, it was a Xen crystal they needed to analyze in the anti-mass spectrometer (although sabotaged somehow so it triggered a special connection with Nihilanth that allowed him to teleport his soldiers into Black Mesa). They had already gone to Xen, and been there for some time, as seen in Half-Life.
[QUOTE=LarparNar;29065877]Keeping your case open doesn't mean it's well ventilated. In some cases it can actually screw up the airflow. And it feeling 35c on the outside doesn't actually mean it's 35c on the inside, and these things usually get cold pretty fast as well. I wouldn't rule out an overheat, but what do I know eh?[/QUOTE] I don't know, man. I wasn't doing anything intensive. The parts usually get much more hot. [media]http://i51.tinypic.com/2ptun9s.jpg[/media]
[QUOTE=Chrille;29065900]I still listed a number of things that Black Mesa invented. Anti-mass spectrometer, the Lambda Core teleporters, a number of experimental weapons, HEV suit, long-jump module (which they invented specifically for Xen), robots. And they researched alien life. Solely from exploring the facility in Half-Life, we know that they did all of the following (and I totally stole the text): Black Mesa undertakes research in various fields from standard scientific research to radiation, rocketry, theoretical physics, lasers, experimental propulsion, hydraulics, robotics, hydroelectricity, genetics, zoology, applied mathematics and a very wide spectrum of research into chemistry and all manner of physics research. Glados developed it after Black Mesa was gone; it was a hole in the desert. The world's population was moving into cities under military protection because alien life was taking over. Aperture Science wasn't a company anymore, it was just Glados and her test subjects. And the crystal sample that G-Man delivered didn't have anything to do with teleportation, it was a Xen crystal they needed to analyze in the anti-mass spectrometer (although sabotaged somehow so it triggered a special connection with Nihilanth that allowed him to teleport his soldiers into Black Mesa). They had already gone to Xen, and been there for some time, as seen in Half-Life.[/QUOTE] Fair enough, they did invent those things (or atleast their own versions) but Apertures inventions were more of an achievement then those. What we know Aperture was doing: Teleportation, invisibility, AI, Portal technology. The thing is, Black Mesa was an actual huge company which worked on a variety of differant subjects. Aperture was set up by 1 person to pretty much just work on what he wanted. It wasn't an actual Scientific research facilty, it was more like cave's toybox. They did what he wanted. That quote says "Her goal: beat the hated Black Mesa in the race to develop a functioning portal technology. Days later, that race is lost when Black Mesa successfully deploys an interdimensional gate through which an alien race emerges and effectively ends the outside world." which means Black Mesa won the race to Portal Technology was the Resonace cascade, which wouldn't have occured if the G-man hadn't brought in a sabotaged sample. Portal/the ARG shows Aperture had working a Portal gun for some time - or had atleast been working on it. Large areas of the facility were built just for use with the Portal gun. There is also the new Portal 2 investment videos which shows they were atleast selling Pannels and Turrets. The Bot Trust video might mean they were selling/had robots all along, but that may be non-canon. [QUOTE=Chrille;29065595] So far, the only confirmed things that Aperture science have invented (before Glados) is a murderous AI, and perhaps light bridges, gel and panels and robots (although those might as well have been developed by Glados). [/QUOTE] Going to go back to what you said earlier. They also had the Gels, Emancipation grids and Unstationary Scaffolds before GLaDOS was turned on. They are in the Cave chambers, and the Grids and Scaffolds are on the Borealis.
[QUOTE=JurajIsNotPirat;29065959]I don't know, man. I wasn't doing anything intensive. The parts usually get much more hot. [media]http://i51.tinypic.com/2ptun9s.jpg[/media][/QUOTE] Oh my its like those old Windows Xp Dells lots of schools bought.
Probably late, but Valve have uploaded the comic to their portal 2 site. [url]http://www.thinkwithportals.com/comic/[/url]
[QUOTE=nightlord;29066001]Fair enough, they did invent those things (or atleast their own versions) but Apertures inventions were more of an achievement then those. What we know Aperture was doing: Teleportation, invisibility, AI, Portal technology. The thing is, Black Mesa was an actual huge company which worked on a variety of differant subjects. Aperture was set up by 1 person to pretty much just work on what he wanted. It wasn't an actual Scientific research facilty, it was more like cave's toybox. They did what he wanted. That quote says "Her goal: beat the hated Black Mesa in the race to develop a functioning portal technology. Days later, that race is lost when Black Mesa successfully deploys an interdimensional gate through which an alien race emerges and effectively ends the outside world." which means Black Mesa won the race to Portal Technology was the Resonace cascade, which wouldn't have occured if the G-man hadn't brought in a sabotaged sample. Portal/the ARG shows Aperture had working a Portal gun for some time - or had atleast been working on it. Large areas of the facility were built just for use with the Portal gun. There is also the new Portal 2 investment videos which shows they were atleast selling Pannels and Turrets. The Bot Trust video might mean they were selling/had robots all along, but that may be non-canon.[/QUOTE] Black Mesa went to Xen before the Resonance Cascade, it's unknown for how long they did it though, but it's all seen in Half-Life 1. And the crystal wasn't needed for teleportation, they were just going to analyze it, but it somehow tore a hole in the dimensional fabric (fancy eh) when inserted into the anti-mass spectrometer, and thus allowed Nihilanth to invade. It's just Erik Wolpaw (Portal's writer, just in case you didn't know) that's a little rusty on his knowledge of the Half-Life storyline (or maybe he just didn't care, he also listed it as happening in 1998, but Marc Laidlaw pointed out the flaw); the text was just to show that Black Mesa did invent it first.
[QUOTE=superdinoman;29066018]Oh my its like those old Windows Xp Dells lots of schools bought.[/QUOTE] give us your mother
[QUOTE=SwampGuy;29066060]give us your mother[/QUOTE] Personguy really killed his joke, its at the point where its been said so much its lost all meaning.
Saw this in the corner of here: [url]http://www.thinkwithportals.com/comic/[/url] [img]http://www.thinkwithportals.com/comic/assets/part2_comingsoon_text.png[/img] and almost had a heart attack because I misread it as "Portal 2 Arrives April 11th"
[QUOTE=MasterG;29066132]Saw this in the corner of here: [url]http://www.thinkwithportals.com/comic/[/url] [img_thumb]http://www.thinkwithportals.com/comic/assets/part2_comingsoon_text.png[/img_thumb] and almost had a heart attack because I misread it as "Portal 2 Arrives April 11th"[/QUOTE] ha! you too? I was like "HOLY FUCK YES" but then my dreams were crushed.
[QUOTE=nibbler234;29064424]Inside Xbox has a Portal 2 interview with some new footage such as when Wheatley wakes up GLaDOS. Unfortunately, I can't record it because I have no capture card.[/QUOTE] Any more word on this? Seems interesting.
[QUOTE=Chrille;29066058]Black Mesa went to Xen before the Resonance Cascade, it's unknown for how long they did it though, but it's all seen in Half-Life 1. And the crystal wasn't needed for teleportation, they were just going to analyze it, but it somehow tore a hole in the dimensional fabric (fancy eh) when inserted into the anti-mass spectrometer, and thus allowed Nihilanth to invade. It's just Erik Wolpaw (Portal's writer, just in case you didn't know) that's a little rusty on his knowledge of the Half-Life storyline (or maybe he just didn't care, he also listed it as happening in 1998, but Marc Laidlaw pointed out the flaw); the text was just to show that Black Mesa did invent it first.[/QUOTE] The text says ""Her goal: beat the hated Black Mesa in the race to develop a functioning portal technology. Days later, that race is lost when Black Mesa successfully deploys an interdimensional gate through which an alien race emerges and effectively ends the outside world." Aperture lost the race because of the Resonance Cascade. That was the Portal they created. They had been to Xen before, but they didn't actually create a portal which could easily be manipulated like what happened with the Crystal sample. They basically bridged the Gap between the two dimensions. It probably has been worded incorrectly though. It's been a while since i've played Half life, but i will play through it again later today. Anyways, Portal 2 is out soon so i guess we will find out more then.
Okay, everything seems to be in order now. Phew. Sorry for the off-topic.
Here's the new footage. Sorry, but I don't have a capture card. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9XoZFw7T9A[/media]
[QUOTE=nibbler234;29066338]Here's the new footage. Sorry, but I don't have a capture card. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9XoZFw7T9A[/media][/QUOTE] Why the fuck can't inside xbox just show the video in fullscreen, i mean even watching on my TV the screen is annoying to watch. I'm sorry but it's annoying... New footage is good though.
[QUOTE=nightlord;29066229]The text says ""Her goal: beat the hated Black Mesa in the race to develop a functioning portal technology. Days later, that race is lost when Black Mesa successfully deploys an interdimensional gate through which an alien race emerges and effectively ends the outside world." Aperture lost the race because of the Resonance Cascade. That was the Portal they created. They had been to Xen before, but they didn't actually create a portal which could easily be manipulated like what happened with the Crystal sample. They basically bridged the Gap between the two dimensions. It probably has been worded incorrectly though. It's been a while since i've played Half life, but i will play through it again later today. Anyways, Portal 2 is out soon so i guess we will find out more then.[/QUOTE] It says that because Wolpaw thinks it was the Black Mesas teleportation experiments that caused the Resonance Cascade, when it wasn't, just like he thinks it was in 1998. It's not a major mistake, and it gives a general picture of the situation, but it wasn't exactly how it happened. The dimensional rift spawned from the crystal sample was controlled by Nihilanth, not Black Mesa. In fact, you try and close it in Half-Life when you launch the satellite, but it doesn't work since Nihilanth is keeping it open, and so Gordon has to kill Nihilanth. Black Mesa did make easily manipulative portals before the Resonance Cascade, you see lots of them in the chapter Lambda Complex, there are whole puzzles involving them. And then of course the huge ass teleporter that takes you to Xen. If you ignore the Displacer (I think it's stupid (not to mention not made by Valve), how would a device so little have the power to send you to Xen when it requires a giant reactor to keep the real Xen teleporter in lambda complex running?), Aperture Science could be credited with creating a [i]mobile[/i] portal device, since all the portals in Black Mesa are stationary.
there was like 1 piece of new footage?
[QUOTE=Chrille;29066459]It says that because Wolpaw thinks it was the Black Mesas teleportation experiments that caused the Resonance Cascade, when it wasn't, just like he thinks it was in 1998. It's not a major mistake, and it gives a general picture of the situation, but it wasn't exactly how it happened. The dimensional rift spawned from the crystal sample was controlled by Nihilanth, not Black Mesa. In fact, you try and close it in Half-Life when you launch the satellite, but it doesn't work since Nihilanth is keeping it open, and so Gordon has to kill Nihilanth. Black Mesa did make easily manipulative portals before the Resonance Cascade, you see lots of them in the chapter Lambda Complex, there are whole puzzles involving them. And then of course the huge ass teleporter that takes you to Xen. If you ignore the Displacer (I think it's stupid (not to mention not made by Valve), how would a device so little have the power to send you to Xen when it requires a giant reactor to keep the real Xen teleporter in lambda complex running?), Aperture Science could be credited with creating a [i]mobile[/i] portal device, since all the portals in Black Mesa are stationary.[/QUOTE] I guess you are correct. I still think that Aperture Science was more successful though (based on what's ingame, i'm sure they both have alot of other things we haven't seen) they made alot of stuff despite not being backed by the government. I just prefer Aperture. Ironically, it was Black mesa who caused the Apocolypse when they were the one who followed all safety procedures, while Aperture carried on research even after everyone was dead. They had actually planned for the Apocolypse.
My friends are at Kapow Comic Con up in London at the moment, got a text from one of them saying that they're playing Portal 2 at the moment. :suicide:
[QUOTE=SwampGuy;29066486]there was like 1 piece of new footage?[/QUOTE] They do revisit old parts, but they're updated with things such as new voices and final touches. Plus, there's a lot more footage than just one clip. For instance there's a clip when you kill your partner, there's a clip at the end of a new single player chamber, there's a clip where there's a new co-op chamber, and plus Stephen Merchant at the old Wheatley scene. There are more, but I'm pretty sure you can find it out yourself.
[QUOTE=nibbler234;29066338]Here's the new footage. Sorry, but I don't have a capture card. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9XoZFw7T9A[/media][/QUOTE] What part of Inside Xbox is that? I can't find it.
[QUOTE=d3m0l1sh3r;29065657]Yeah i noticed that too now. Gonna fix[/QUOTE] It's been 2 hours, give us our fix because I wanna make a wallpaper for myself outta it meaning this frendily (is that even a word)
So wait, now it's the 11th?!?
[QUOTE=pod;29067200]So wait, now it's the 11th?!?[/QUOTE] That's the date for the next comic, not a new release date.
I really hope Valve has optimized the fuck out of this game.
[QUOTE=evlbzltyr;29066615]My friends are at Kapow Comic Con up in London at the moment, got a text from one of them saying that they're playing Portal 2 at the moment. :suicide:[/QUOTE] I'd rather get the whole thing on the 19th than play a bit and then wait for the 19th.
saturday morning tv spot the best spot
[QUOTE=xpod1;29067761]saturday morning tv spot the best spot[/QUOTE] Discovery Channel?
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.