• gmod crash on linux
    6 replies, posted
I installed the gmod on linux and when connecting to some servers it crashes
Interesting
can anyone help me?
Help you with what?
Linux is not for gaming! Have windows supports all
Hello mates, let me share my linux experience here to not to open one more "gmod linux crash" thread. I looked through many of them trying to find an answer/fix and wasn't able to. Many of them are talking about reducing pulseaudio memory usage, increase hl2 heapsize, i.e. describe a problem as 32-bit low memory one, as Lua on some mods/maps consumes a lot. And I tend to agree with them, I played with these parameters and got a somewhat better result: I have only one Metrostroi mod and a couple of standart maps installed. Game started fine, but initially was crashing right after trying to spawn a train. Playing with heap and pulseaudio, I was able to prevent game from crashing right at spawning time, was able to start a train and ride several hundreeds meters before it crashes, and looked like the more memory I was trying to free - the longer my ride was. But at the end the game crashes anyway. I would be happy to provide a log but didn't find how to do it on linux, tries some -condegub parameter but with no success, it anybody explains how to do a crash dump/log - will be happy to. Here to mention that I dual boot with Windows on my laptop and under Windows it dows not crash at all with all the same mods installed. But I suppose there is little gmod devs can do here as long as mod scripts consume too much memory, so I looked at 64-bit version that seems to be in a development phase. Unfortunately for now it does not work for me on both Linux/Windows, Windows starts but crashes when creating a local server game, on Linux it starts but all I got - splash screen with no menu items. What was confuing is that after switching to 64bit, and run game from steam (the one labeled 64-bit) actually causes 32-bit executable to launch as in start script, .local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/GarrysMod/hl2.sh it's harcoded: GAMEROOT=$(cd "${0%/*}" && echo $PWD)/bin/linux32 I tried to change it to linux64 as there is also .local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/GarrysMod/bin/linux64/gmod binary which in fact is 64-bit executable, but game crashes at start and when runningfrom console I get Failed to load the launcher (launcher_client.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory) did not investigate further, but in case I can help with debugging - I'm highly motivated farther of a son having great fun playing Metrostoi mod ) and being not able to do it on Linux, and on Windows Metrostroi with my favourite map is terribly slow, the best perfomance I was able to get - running Linux dedicated server and Linux client on the same Laptop (Xeon E3-1505, 32G RAM, NVidia Quadro M2000M), but it crashes... I'm myslef is a software developer, not gaming one, but once again - if I can help with the debug will be glad. Regards, Alexander p.s. mentioned that when switching to a normal gmod branch, executable being run is different - .local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/GarrysMod/hl2_linux but wasn't able to debug as some LD paths are missing
I managed to run the 64bit gmod(binary found in bin/linux64) on Debian with the following script #!/bin/bash export CHROME_DEVEL_SANDBOX=/opt/google/chrome/chrome-sandbox export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/GarrysMod/bin/linux64/ FS_CLIENT_SO=~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/GarrysMod/filesystem_steam_client.so ACTUAL_FS_CLIENT_SO=~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/GarrysMod/bin/linux64/filesystem_stdio_client.so if [ ! -f $FS_CLIENT_SO ]; then     echo "$(basename $FS_CLIENT_SO) is missing, copying from '$ACTUAL_FS_CLIENT_SO'"     cp $ACTUAL_FS_CLIENT_SO $FS_CLIENT_SO fi without adding bin/linux64 to LD path, gmod grumbled about not able to load launcher_client.so. Chrome sandbox was not found in default paths I suppose, so adding it to env fixed it. Then I got error loading filesystem_steam_client.so, I looked through and havent found such but found bin/linux64/filesystem_stdio_client.so, so I on the off-chance copied it to the destination gmod tried to search in and got gmod64 running fine. Tested Metrostroi with several maps for couple hours - no crashes. Tried to connect to local standalone 32bit server - that's fine too. Perfomance is good even without turbostroi. Thanks dev, now I can finally play my favourite map, great!
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.