• What technologies are you looking forward to in 2011?
    85 replies, posted
Lightpeek by intel AMD's 7xxx card series. :3 Windows 8 Ubuntu 11.04 and 11.10 Bluetooth advancement. New Silent Hill games and possibly a sequel to the movie. New Super Mario Bros 2. Android taking over the entire phone market. Google and Apple to get into the game console wars. (android and iphone controllers, anyone?) PS3 jailbreaks become easier, less confusing. Wii System Menu 4.4U, with new hacks to follow. :) The new Linux kernel 2.6.37 stable with the 200 lines of magic code pre-compiled. iPhone 5. More "Unreal 3 engine" games for the iPad/iPhone an iPad with cameras, and a retina display of 3840x2560 (having the iphone 4's retina pixel-count of 960x640 is just embarrassing). PS4, Xbox 720, and the Zii. Nintendo's 3DS Sony's PSPhone More anal sex than last year. ;)
[QUOTE=Pixel Heart;27181988]Lightpeek by intel Windows 8 Ubuntu 11.04 and 11.10 Bluetooth advancement. PS3 jailbreaks become easier, less confusing. Wii System Menu 4.4U, with new hacks to follow. :) The new Linux kernel 2.6.37 stable with the 200 lines of magic code pre-compiled. iPhone 5. More "Unreal 3 engine" games for the iPad/iPhone an iPad with cameras, and a retina display of 3840x2560 (having the iphone 4's retina pixel-count of 960x640 is just embarrassing). PS4, Xbox 720, and the Zii. Nintendo's 3DS Sony's PSPhone More anal sex than last year. ;)[/QUOTE] 3840x2560 on a what, 10" screen? Yeah.
[QUOTE=Odellus;27182021]3840x2560 on a what, 10" screen? Yeah.[/QUOTE] You will need a microscope to just be able to see the pixels
[QUOTE=Odellus;27182021]3840x2560 on a what, 10" screen? Yeah.[/QUOTE] yeah, it's just 4 iphone 4 screens put together essentially...
I'm hoping EFI with overthrow BIOS in all motherboards this year.
[QUOTE=Pixel Heart;27181988] AMD's 7xxx card series. :3[/QUOTE] [img]http://www.aydsat.com/tienda/images/ati1.jpg[/img] [QUOTE=Pixel Heart;27181988]Android taking over the entire phone market. ... iPhone 5. [/QUOTE] Pick one or the other [QUOTE=Pixel Heart;27181988] PS4, Xbox 720, and the Zii.[/QUOTE] Don't ever call the nextgen consoles with retarded names like that [QUOTE=Pixel Heart;27181988]an iPad with cameras, and a [b]retina display of 3840x2560[/b] (having the iphone 4's retina pixel-count of 960x640 is just embarrassing).[/QUOTE] Haha yeah right [QUOTE=Pixel Heart;27181988]PS3 jailbreaks become easier, less confusing.[/QUOTE] It's just you. The jailbreak process is already easy as is [QUOTE=Pixel Heart;27181988] Bluetooth advancement. [/QUOTE] Bluetooth advancement would most likely not going to happen due to Wifi Direct
CES is showing off some pretty amazing stuff.
[QUOTE=DaCommie1;27167174]I'm looking forward to the CRTC hopefully allowing foreign players into the Canadian Telecom market. Then maybe we can finally get fair, uncapped Internet from more than just one of two monopolies.[/QUOTE] Hahaha... not happening. Also you're in Ontario, I thought you guys had more than 2 ISPs. Around here all we have is Bell and Videotron, all other companies have to use their lines so it's pretty much a monopoly. They both have shit speeds for a high price along with shitty bandwidth caps :smith: At least it's not like Australia :buddy:
[QUOTE=ze beaver;27254959] At least it's not like Australia :buddy:[/QUOTE] shut up :downs: least our current government is trying to fix it, despite the backwards media corporations trying to say that the NBN will be useless when it's finished.
[QUOTE=ze beaver;27254959]Hahaha... not happening. Also you're in Ontario, I thought you guys had more than 2 ISPs. Around here all we have is Bell and Videotron, all other companies have to use their lines so it's pretty much a monopoly. They both have shit speeds for a high price along with shitty bandwidth caps :smith: At least it's not like Australia :buddy:[/QUOTE] I'm in the Sudbury area (Northern Ontario), Eastlink is godlike. Instead of waiting for new companies to get their shit together, move into an Eastlink area. Here's the higher end teirs: Uncapped and unthrottled 15/1 Mbps, 30 GB capped 30/2 Mbps or 250 GB capped 100/5 Mbps. The triple-play bundle is a good value. It includes home phone, digital cable and the 15/1 Mbps plan for $100 a month. They also have a Twitter account which answers questions fairly quickly, I once asked if they were planning to move to usage based billing for their 15/1 Mbps tier, and in a few hours they replied with "No plans". Nifty.
HD7000 series MAYBE I'll upgrade if my 5770 starts lagging. [editline]7th January 2011[/editline] [QUOTE=benjgvps;27264242]I'm in the Sudbury area (Northern Ontario), Eastlink is godlike. Instead of waiting for new companies to get their shit together, move into an Eastlink area. Here's the higher end teirs: Uncapped and unthrottled 15/1 Mbps, 30 GB capped 30/2 Mbps or 250 GB capped 100/5 Mbps. The triple-play bundle is a good value. It includes home phone, digital cable and the 15/1 Mbps plan for $100 a month. They also have a Twitter account which answers questions fairly quickly, I once asked if they were planning to move to usage based billing for their 15/1 Mbps tier, and in a few hours they replied with "No plans". Nifty.[/QUOTE] Canada's the shit Us in the US have to use Verison, which is probably slower
[QUOTE=Slithersoul;27264522]HD7000 series MAYBE I'll upgrade if my 5770 starts lagging. [editline]7th January 2011[/editline] Canada's the shit Us in the US have to use Verison, which is probably slower[/QUOTE] Your wireless is a lot more awesome though!
Thought it would be interesting to bump this thread so people can see the advances since then and of course what flopped.
This is the right kind of bump.
My brother is still using my old 2500k. Though I had no idea what I was doing when I built that PC, so I got a motherboard that didn't support overclocking.
Seeing those posts about the NBN made me laugh, then immediately feel sad.
Haha, wifi direct
A lot of posts are incredibly quaint. I'm still rocking Sandy Bridge. For most applications, its still plenty quick, just showing its age due to lack of newer instructions and features, like limited USB 3.0 support. Bulldozer ended up being a meme tier flop. A tablet pc that runs windows. No android bullshit. Is really funny in hindsight, considering the reception of Windows 8. LTE is so ubiquitous now, that older 2G and 3G tech are current planning to be phased out or already are (AT&T has no 2G GSM service). Android taking over the mobile market is more or less true, minus iPhone. Symbian was the most popular OS in the world. Now its nonexistent. https://files.facepunch.com/forum/upload/110885/ef5e7998-5b0d-4607-9369-7c6a1eae20b4/StatCounter-os_combined-ww-monthly-201011-201811.png Android has come from a "amateur, hobbyist OS like it was with Gingerbread, all the way to a fairly polished UE in Pie. Dual core phones were cutting edge. Now they are seen a super low end. SSD's are below $0.50 USD a GB Migration to IPv6 is still happening slowly but surely. USB-C has long superseded MicroUSB as the standard for phones. Sony's Xperia PLAY (PSP Phone) ended up being a disappointment. Portable gaming was primarily the PSP and DS, with some hits on mobile phones (remember Angry Birds?). Now the PSP line is pretty much dead in NA, and 3DS is still hanging on with the Switch being thrown in the mix. But mobile gaming is an industry in and of itself. The Wii was still a big console, the 360 and PS3 were seeing refreshes but the current gen was just rumors. Now, the Xbox One and PS4 are already looking at significant overhauls. The Wii U was a disappointment. But Nintendo has redeemed themselves with the Switch. Youtube has moved from being Flash based to HTML5 and even uses almost unheard of formats of the time like 4k.
A lot of posts are incredibly quaint. I'm still rocking Sandy Bridge. For most applications, its still plenty quick, just showing its age due to lack of newer instructions and features, like limited USB 3.0 support. Bulldozer ended up being a meme tier flop. A tablet pc that runs windows. No android bullshit. Is really funny in hindsight, considering the reception of Windows 8. LTE is so ubiquitous now, that older 2G and 3G tech are current planning to be phased out or already are (AT&T has no 2G GSM service). Android taking over the mobile market is more or less true, minus iPhone, but that was already on its way toward happening in 2011 anyway. Dual core phones and 1 GB of RAM were cutting edge. Now they are seen a super low end. SSD's are below $0.50 USD a GB Migration to IPv6 is still happening slowly but surely. USB-C has long superseded MicroUSB as the standard for phones.
you're a big guy
The early 2010's was the perfect time to be a PC enthusiast/builder. Just being able to get a creme de la creme graphics card like the GTX 680/HD 7970 for like 4-500 USD instead of 1500, which would get you an entire top of the line system, monitor and everything included
I built my first real gaming rig in 2009, was close to the top of the line for the time and it came out to about $1,500.
Oh no. He must have been so disappointed.
I am expecting AI to become more realistic and advanced that it it capable to deliver some tasks at human level
https://files.facepunch.com/forum/upload/716/c7fd460c-02ad-4681-961c-bf0b5bd66404/image.png HD collection happens 2 years after this post and then eventually Konami REALLY shits the bed Man what the fuck
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.