• Billionaire philanthropist Tom Steyer taking steps toward 2020 run
    22 replies, posted
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/19/tom-steyer-2020-presidential-bid-1005612 If he can’t impeach Donald Trump, he may try to oust the president the old-fashioned way. Former billionaire investor, climate activist and impeachment agitator Tom Steyer will take several steps toward a 2020 presidential bid Tuesday. That will include a six-figure web ad buy on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and Instagram, along with a full-page ad in USA Today and other Gannett newspapers outlining a political platform, a revamped TomSteyer.com and the announcement of five town halls across the country, the first of which will be in the crucial early primary state of South Carolina, according to copies of the ad and platform provided to POLITICO. The first town hall is set for Dec. 4 in Charleston, S.C., and the next will be in Fresno, Calif., sometime in December, according to Aleigha Cavalier, senior communications adviser for TomSteyer.com, who also works for Steyer’s climate-focused group NextGen America. There will be one town hall for each of the “5 rights" on Steyer's platform: the right to an equal vote, to clean air and water, to learn with pre-K education through college, to a living wage, and to health. “These rights should be the basis of the Democratic Party’s platform,” Steyer wrote on his updated site in what was referred to internally as a "preamble." “Together, we will achieve these rights for all Americans.” Although Steyer remains noncommittal on 2020, and Cavalier says he is focused on pressuring Democratic lawmakers on his platform, the moves are the clearest sign yet that Steyer is preparing a presidential bid after playing coy over the past two years. Armed with the 6 million-plus person email list gained from his $50 million Need to Impeach campaign, NextGen America’s grass-roots resources and lists, and an estimated net worth of $1.6 billion to dig into, Steyer would immediately start out with a potentially potent political machine. “Over time, I saw private greed overcome public good,” Steyer writes in his preamble. “The time arrived when I could see that our economy was rigged to funnel virtually all the enormous benefits of our growing productivity to the wealthy and their large corporations, while the vast majority of Americans — the people who do the work — gained little or nothing.” After Steyer left his investment firm in 2012, he and his wife promised to give away most of their wealth in their lifetimes. On top of his philanthropic spending, Steyer became the most generous donor in Democratic politics, with more than $280 million doled out over the past three election cycles. He has given millions to candidates and the party’s committees, but he has poured most of his political money into NextGen America and Need to Impeach.
Can we fucking not have bazillionaires running for office, please?
"Shut up faggot, We're TIRED of the experts in charge!"
Interestingly, William McKinley and Harry Truman are the most recent Presidents without a college degree, and (second worst president ever) Andrew Johnson had no formal education at all. Obama was a professor of constitutional law at Harvard and could honestly be SCOTUS material if he wanted it.
"Steyer's platform: the right to an equal vote, to clean air and water, to learn with pre-K education through college, to a living wage, and to health." Huh, maybe this could be something good. Then again, having Billionaires and other rich individuals as the president sure as hell paves way towards the encouragement of an oligarchy.
I like how people were campaigning on clean air and water literally a century ago and people can still campaign on it today.
Normally, I'd agree, but philanthropist people are pretty fucking awesome. I don't know enough about him to pass judgement yet, but I am definitely cautiously optimistic.
Yeah. I don't know much about this guy, but if he's anything like Bill Gates, I'd be fine with him as the nominee. At the same time though, I'd prefer someone with political experience - and so do most people here, I'd bargain.
idk i kinda heard all this stuff before, it seems much too easy to campaign on greater restrictions for the rich and then quietly circumvent them for your own businesses. if he wants the job he'd better have the most transparent finances possible, as well as actually explaining how all the various loopholes work so the voters know as much as he does.
I would feel a lot better about this whole billionaire president trend if we had firm laws about disclosing tax/financial records when declaring your candidacy.
as long as money = free speech and candidates are allowed to donate unlimited amounts of money to themselves we will only see more and more of this. Look at Rick Scott, he bought himself a governorship and now a senate seat. the power of an individual to donate a few millions to their campaign is very difficult to overcome for anyone without this capability.
What's with fucking Rapists running for office?
Can you elaborate? I haven't seen that about him.
It's in the title, he is a Full on Rapist.
Uhh what? Literally nothing comes up on google about this? Are you peddling some wacky conspiracy shit?
https://files.facepunch.com/forum/upload/169870/6d06b458-b171-4aeb-9bcf-d69ebcc87cd2/image.png
He's referencing this. https://youtu.be/pQJ9GUVxPl8
What an incredibly nuanced reference for those of us who have never seen the show.
Or just dumb considering how republicans are now accusing democrats of being sexual predators and rapists without any merit "because that's what democrats did to Kavanaugh."
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/09/us/politics/tom-steyer-trump-2020.html
You're missing out, it's a great show.
vote for me as president, i promise to revamp the voting system into one where the next president is decided by a game of Virus on the chinese food restaurant map in timesplitters 2
Honestly, I'm glad. Simply waiting another two years is not good enough and I'm glad this is the course of action he's taking. Perhaps THE most philanthropic endeavor for not just Americans but the whole world at large.
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.