• Colorado Republican forces 2,000 page bill reading, Dems respond with computers
    23 replies, posted
http://www.dailycamera.com/breakingnews/ci_32506035/republicans-halt-work-colorado-senate-2-000-page All work in the Colorado Senate came to halt Monday morning thanks to a procedural maneuver invoked by a ranking Republican. Committee hearings, floor debates and votes were all delayed as House Bill 1172 - a 2,000-page bill revising Title 12 of the Colorado Revised Statutes - was read in its entirety. "I'm just following the rules," Sen. John Cooke, R-Greeley, said with a smile when asked about his request to read the whole bill. "We keep saying we want things slowed down, and this is the only thing we have in our arsenal." What Cooke wanted to slow down was the hearings and votes on the death penalty and oil and gas bills. He said he talked with Democratic leadership last week about delaying the oil and gas hearing but that he was dismissed. Some estimated it would take 60 hours for a human to read the bill, but Monday afternoon Democrats used a maneuver of their own to cut that time drastically: After a Senate staffer read for three hours, they brought in five computers to read the bill simultaneously at a speed far faster than humans can understand.
brought in five computers to read the bill what does this even mean? Do they mean analyze the text? What does it produce?
They had 3 text to speech computers read it faster than humanely possible. It satisfied the requirement because it didn't need to be understood
Stupid problems require stupid solutions. I like it.
Please tell me they used Microsoft Sam.
I’m hoping it was the old man from Limit Breakers’ videos.
I want to hear that it used that "2,000 YEARS LATER" meme voice from videos. I know it isn't text to speech but it would be amazing.
I swear to god, if you just called the fucking voice from SpongeBob a "meme voice from videos"...
Haha. I don't watch Spongebob so am ignorant on these things.
the solution is so absurd that my brain short circuited while reading it
Welcome to America.
hey look republicans admitting they're obstructionists.
There's also that one state congress that would basically play musical buttons when voting time came, politicians ran around the room pressing the vote buttons on the desks of politicians that were absent, and in some cases even reaching onto present politician's desks to hit the button before they can. It made the entire concept of democracy completely redundant because the votes meant nothing more than "the red/blue team won at musical buttons that day".
https://www.denverpost.com/2019/03/12/colorado-general-assembly-republicans-lawsuit/
Can we just be ruled by AIs already? It can't be worse than this shit.
But forcing them to read a 2000 page document is A-OK. American politics is retarded.
See, the easy solution is just get one of those fuckers from livestock bidding houses to do it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea7gn8hhEFA
Just get every democrat present to read pages simultaneously then
Imagine working on a team where deliberately wasting everyone's time wasn't a disciplinary offence
It's simple obstruction, clear as day
This is obviously a stalling tactic from Republicans, but it blows my mind that reading out a bill before making it the law can be considered an excessive burden. It's no wonder so much otherwise uncontroversial legislation turns out to include gotchas and riders and last-minute changes without anyone noticing, when it can be so long that nobody voting on it has actually read it in its entirety.
Shoulda brought in highschool debaters https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FPsEwWT6K0&t=1s
I wonder why they used five computers to do it. Did they load up a chunk of the bill in each computer and have them all read it simultaneously or something?
I agree. I don't think it's unreasonable to require that Congress read the damn bills it's passing. I also don't think it's reasonable to completely ignore the law like the Democrats did. Pretty shameful honestly.
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.