• "Countdown to Goodness" - Windows 10 October 2018 Update Wipes Data
    151 replies, posted
https://files.facepunch.com/forum/upload/324780/e580da8f-04b1-4f8b-a50b-8c7feec47bde/image.png Windows 10's October 2018 Update Could Wipe Out Your Data | Digi.. After consumers reported a number of problems with the latest major update to Windows 10, Microsoft responded by preventing the October 2018 Update from being installed on some systems. Microsoft announced that the Windows 10 October 2018 Update was available for download when it announced its new Surface Pro 6, Surface Laptop 2, and Surface Studio 2 at a media event on October 2 in New York City. Since then, users have reported a number of wide-ranging issues caused by the update, including lost files, issues with CPU usage, and reduced battery life post-update. The problem with disappearing files has been widely reported on various social media forums, including on Reddit and Twitter, with one user reporting on Microsoft’s community forum that he had lost up to 220GB of data after the update. Affected file types include documents, music, and photos. “I have just updated my windows using the October update (10, version 1809) it deleted all my files of 23 years in amount of 220gb,” forum member Robert wrote. “This is unbelievable, I have been using Microsoft products since 1995 and nothing like that ever happened to me.” Again, why are forced updates still a thing? Windows even has the nerve to wake up my computer from hibernation in the middle of the night to download an update. Ridiculous.
Because it's not illegal.
I thought it was still in the beta stage right now.
So it's just the default folders inside your user folder yeah?
I went out of my way to disable automatic updates when I got one a couple of months back which made it impossible to reach the desktop on startup Windows 10 is an absolute fucking farce
Might imply that the desktop is also affected
Because as far as Microsoft is concerned an inconvenience is better than a sensitive computer with sensitive data getting breached because of an unpatched exploit.
sounds like billions lost in numerous lawsuits
because people don't update and then have an insecure system that spreads worms/malware/etc and then everyone blames microsoft. remember when worms used to be really really bad and made the news? yeah...that was because automatic updates didn't exist. that really sucks, but make sure you get security updates. there's spectre proof-of-concept exploits that can be done just by visiting a webpage.
Which actually isn't their concern so long as they are actively releasing patches to fix exploits. Its up to the customer side to maintain their system. Because sometimes customers need to not update their systems because it will break everything and fuck over our machines and then get our customers pissed at us because Microsoft broke shit. I wish somebody would sue the ever loving fuck out of them and its going to happen one day when they force an update on a government system and it fucks over important government data. Microsoft is going to have a federal foot wedged up their ass for a decade after that. Cause yeah, our customer expect us to maintain the correct patch level for our machines. Whether that means the most current version or an older version. This is literally my job is compliance and security, having to go through hundreds of questions nitpicking every single part of our infrastructure to make sure our customers like what we're doing. And if Microsoft fucks something up, we eat the shit because we're expected to maintain compliance no matter what. And we work with banks and the federal government, if something fucks up and they lose data because of Microsoft doing something that breaks one of the machines we sold to them, we literally could not survive the penalties they would slam us with. So fuck forced updates.
I physically deleted update assistant because Microsoft can't figure out to stop updating my OS to a fucking build that makes my normal 10-30 second computer start up take 5 minutes. I'm not even joking, I fucking timed it and it made everything slower than shit, automatic updates for shit that isn't vetted as working yet is unfair and unethical to consumers.
I've had nothing deleted so far, but I redirect all of my docs to a separate drive anyway. Not sure if it only deletes user files under the C: drive. Damn it wangblows.
It's already been breaking things with updates for a long time, to the extent it has often required resets that partially destroy your settings and data outside of specific saved folders to recover from bluescreens and stuff. This is despite a very vocal crowd of "but i've never noticed a problem!" apologists. Anyways, this is a bit worse than usual.
I've never understood where these problems come from.. even since the preview builds Windows 10 has never given me a single issue related to performance or data loss. It really makes me think it involves situations where people have managed to mess their install up at some point before updates hit
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I updated as soon as I could and didn't lose any data at all.
Note that this literally only applies to Surface products. Any other system seems unaffected.
Skipping or delaying security updates isn't a very bright idea, unless you want to find your computer shitposting on 4chan, ddosing people, and/or mining bitcoins.
As a side note: maybe Microsoft is finally learning that if you want people to install your updates willingly, maybe they should introduce new features that people want to use. Like the awesome new Android phone linking they just brought in.
It's their concern because most people who use Windows do not understand nearly anything remotely technical about the PC they use or the OS it runs, so they just don't give a fuck about updates. And of course, when vulnerabilities are found and shit gets exploited and viruses end up infesting the computer in and out it's not their fault, they default to blaming windows. Same reason why Windows has an automatic antivirus that sets itself on by default and why it rings you with constant alarms if your firewall is offline or why it asks for permission before most unrecognized executables attempt to launch. Windows is used in its majority by computer-illiterate people.
These things literally only happen because Microsoft got rid of their beta testing department and expect people testing insider build to report issues instead
No it doesn't. The article says Microsoft announced that the Windows 10 October 2018 Update was available for download when it announced its new Surface Pro 6, Surface Laptop 2, and Surface Studio 2 at a media event on October 2 in New York City. This issue is related to Microsoft OneDrive (even if you don't use it), not Surface products. This problem may be caused by OneDrive. Twitter user @coolkevinator noted that if you have locally stored items that aren’t also saved to OneDrive, the Windows 10 update will wipe out the files stored on your computer. “Heads up to anyone updating windows,” the tweet said. “Apparently, if you have documents saved in your user directory, i.e. users/JohnDoe, and not one drive, the update will delete EVERYTHING in that location. So if your ‘Documents’ or ‘Pictures’ don’t have a one drive symbol, MIGRATE IMMEDIATELY!”
Please tell me he was at least smart enough to backup his files
Ahaha, you already know the answer.
It also rendered LogMeIn to not work which meant I couldn't remotely support users. I didn't work for 5 hours today :V
I'm not against automatic updates but Microsoft laying off their paid testers was a horrendous decision and is the reason Win10's stability is so polarized.
https://i.imgur.com/EONiWir.png https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjvQFtlNQ-M
i put off updating for the last mayor update bc i heard it was a bit buggy on the anniversary update i had a weird bug with my intel hd driver which caused constant BSOD's so im a bit wary about that might do the same for this one just in case
I lost a LOT of shit with this update, I'm just one fucking error away just saying fuck it and going to Linux, as Valve with steam wine integration
Luckily, I have backup most my of the files about 2 months ago to my removable drive “Passport” and have now restored them on my partion drive
He said he tried reverting the update, which IIRC restores from C:\Windows.old, and that it didn't fix it.
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.