• Microsoft makes its 60,000 patents open-source to help Linux
    23 replies, posted
Microsoft makes its 60,000 patents open source to help Linux Microsoft announced today that it’s joining the Open Invention Network (OIN), an open-source patent group designed to help protect Linux from patent lawsuits. In essence, this makes the company’s library over 60,000 patents open source and available to OIN members, via ZDNet. There are exceptions to what Microsoft is making available — specifically, Windows desktop and desktop application code, which makes sense for many reasons — but otherwise, Microsoft is going open source. And ultimately, that’s a good thing for the whole developer community.
WOAH HOLY FUCK. This is MASSIVE
That's awesome, but why?
So that Linux on Azure would be better
Thoroughly shocked. This is going to mean a lot down the line, at least I hope
Maybe they figured out it's a way to try and combat the rising stagnation of Microsoft?
Microsoft have been pushing recently for integration of various operating systems and apps on Windows. (which i don't think is a bad thing at all) I feel this is just a continuation of that, what better way to have cross platform compatibility than making it open source for developers. With this though, i hope there is proper vetting of anything that comes forwards through the windows app store.
woah damn, i didnt expect something like this from microsoft any time soon, pretty nice
Open Source software is good for developers, and Microsoft is interested in developers. In other words this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhh_GeBPOhs
Microsoft owes a debt to linux, It may of paid a car loan but it goes beyond that.
If we can consider "software patents" to be "patents".
I don't see why not
I had recently found out that one idea that I had for multitasking for Nemo Mobile was awfully similar to one patent that Nokia, now MSFT had filled, which made me concerned about taking that further https://files.facepunch.com/forum/upload/459/460e0538-7881-4332-a9ee-fa5bfc9ff79d/image.png It's pretty generous of them for doing that
It's fucking stupid that you can patent a UI control
Microsoft has already more or less won the market share when it comes to personal computing and the chances of them being dethroned any time soon are quite low. Nothing lasts forever of course and some folks loooove apple but people who aren't really into computers in some capacity generally don't use Linux at all. But Linux rules in the server environment and everyone who does hosting, Microsoft included, benefits from Linux being better. Therefore when Microsoft helps Linux in this sense they also help themselves to a degree.
Azure is MS's new relevancy for this decade. The paid OS business wouldn't last forever.
Software patents are different from copyright. When you write code you still have direct control over it, software patents gives ownership to the function of a broad idea no matter how trivial it is. So even if your code is completely different from someone else if that other person JUST HAPPENED to have a patent for a function vaguely similar you'd potentially be violating his patent. Now consider the fact that there are millions of software patents that exist, how the hell are programmers supposed to innovate when it's literally impossible for them to know if they're violating some kind of software patent. Keep in mind that a software patent can be something as basic as "oh, my MMO has a chat function in it that also allows for trading". Software patents are absurd.
I honestly think that software patents are the reason GNU (or any other open source licensed) software products are lacking (or at least used to lack) proper usability in general quite often. I often noticed that many GUI controls are or were implemented in such a backward way that you might think "Why not use the straight forward/the simple way, we all used from to? Is it forbidden or something? Well that must be an open source thing."
A famous example: Atari's patent on games in load screens, one that expired because they never used it
namco is actually the company that held that patent (now namco bandai)
If anything making windows open source would make it secure.
It has its pros and cons. It would likely help make it faster and easier to find security holes but as a result this means Windows would likely require a lot more frequent updates constantly to patch these security holes, and that's something that people hate dealing with even right now.
Ironically, Ballmer absolutely hated Linux.
Also moving to OS as a service ... :/ Whoo £9.99/m for Windows
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.