• Rumors: AMD Zen 2 is gonna be fucking insane - 16C/32T @ 5.1 GHz for $499
    50 replies, posted
50 watt TDP doesn't sound unrealistic. The current gen 6-core 2600 has a 65 watt tdp and similar clock speeds. The pricing is bullshit though. They have no reason to charge that little for a CPU like that, it would be leagues better than anything Intel is currently offering if it was $150.
Cautiously optimistic, but it probably won't pan out as here presented.
Won't hold my breath, nonetheless I wish AMD godspeed in meeting these absurd specs and prices
Isn't that the thing with smaller architectures though? Less power required to operate and they can pack more of them.
Adored isn't exactly the most unbiased source when it comes to AMD, but the pricing is extremely low if the performance stacks up to what can be expected.
AMD delivering that on those TDP numbers? For that price? I very highly doubt it. If, for some very odd reason, this is true and there is no catch in real performance benchmarks, this would kill Intel.
I'm both sceptical and optimistic, but to be fair there were rumors/leaks of jaw-droppingly low prices regarding the first generation of Ryzen before it had been announced, and they turned out to be true
I'm aware of that, similar to how Intel still uses Pentium and Celeron for their sub-Core iX chips. That being said, considering this is all on Zen architecture and the brand power Ryzen currently holds, I think even a Ryzen 1 would would still hold the marketing of "holy balls this is a Ryzen you need this chip" as well as even still live up to the name. Yes, Athlon especially had great brand power back in the day and still holds a pedigree to it now, but to be honest? Ryzen is the biggest name AMD has at the moment and I'd leverage that as much as possible as if I were in their shoes. "Zen-powered Athlon" in an off-the-shelf Best Buy pre-built doesn't carry quite the oomph of "Ryzen 1" if you ask me. I mean, it's a Zen chip! Call it Ryzen! Lowest tier or not, a Ryzen 1 would still be a damn Ryzen. We've already seen how plenty of people - even enthusiasts - love even Ryzen 3s.
Seems awesome as fuck if true, however, according to the video in the OP, the higher end CPUs will require a new chipset and simply can't be used on existing AM4 boards because of that. Was kinda hoping I could just plop a new Ryzen with double the cores and threads into my current B350 board, but eh, guess I'll just just wait it out for the next gen. Maybe just settle for one of the rumored AMD GPUs for an upgrade this year instead, if NVIDIA is just gonna sit on their ass for the next two years like they did recently.
Kicking Intel straight in the balls nonstop for the next year or two would absolutely be worth it. If we assume that, miraculously, all of these rumoured specs and performance improvements are true, literally who here on FP is going to build an Intel i9 system when they can build an entire Ryzen 3 16c32t@5GHz machine with a midrange GPU for the cost of Intel's CPU alone if they build a computer in 2019? If this all turns out to even be 80% true, AMD is going to present Intel with imminent peril -- Intel was too successful at handicapping AMD through shady anticompetitive practices pre-Ryzen, and it allowed them to become fat and complacent. Now AMD's back for another rematch and they have every reason to aim for Intel's kneecaps. I'm optimistic but I'm expecting these rumours to be at least partially wrong. But I'd love to see AMD prove me wrong and not only give the world a incredibly attractive range of CPUs but also punish Intel and humiliate them in public. Please AMD holy shit please give us a New Year's miracle.
Ya'll are eating this up way too readily.
Performance basics, possible. Core count, likely. Price? Not even ever in any timeline except the one where Sanders and Keith David were elected P and VP. Look at current prices and then look at these proposed prices, these aren't even SKU prices, much less consumer ones.
I dunno, why not? From what someone else was saying, a lot of the original Ryzen chips were rumored with prices that seemed too good to be true and yet turned out to be correct. Everything in this lineup is put in the $100-$500 range like the current AM4-socket Ryzen chips on the market. Seems pretty plausible to me, especially if they're moving to two-die chips.
They didn't list the consumer mark up prices on the first go round so your premise is incorrect, and also the prices for a flagship zen are currently 1700 which is not even kind of 500, and under the SKU scheme adoramdslurpslurpcoughchoke posted they'd come out to 1100 bux for consumers. So under this premise essentially AMD is going to sell their 100% stats upgrade to their current line for not only not the same cost but a full third to half less. This magical rainbow world you speak of sounds great but selling under current SKU prices isn't going to happen Lisa Su has had a stroke or AMD simply wants to attempt to literally push Intel completely out of the midrange nonserver market, to which they have not announced any kind of strategy towards. Call me when Samsung starts selling the galaxy 10 for 500
I'm talking about the AM4-socket chips only, not Threadripper. You know Threadripper is on its own socket (TR4), right? I'm talking about consumer chips, whereas Threadripper is aimed more at the enthusiast/workstation HEDT market. AM4 chips only go up to $500.
I'm aware of the entire line, and the premise that AMD is going to lock prices across gens has no back up.
I find both the core count and pricing to be pretty unlikely. And if it does end up happening, then not at those prices.
These processors could be 25-50% more expensive and they would still demolish intel's nuts.
Everyone is suspicious of clocks increasing with core count, but remember that it's a chiplet-based architecture and the higher-clocked parts are just higher bins of the same core+cache die. TDP is a bit weird, but TDP is always bullshit. The max+peak may be closer to double. We also don't know how much power is consumed by that huge 14nm IO die which contains all the memory interfaces and high-speed serial.
Kyle Bennett just vouched for AdoredTV's reports Keep in mind that's the guy who correctly predicted the Intel/Radeon partnership earlier this year.
Pretty sure that guy also also "predicted" a lot of stuff that ended up being nothing. Not sure his word really counts for much. That reply is also so vague, "little wrong" could still mean the prices, cores, clocks, TDP.
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.