• Intel Core i9-9990XE: Up to 5.0 GHz, Auction Only
    14 replies, posted
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13804/intel-core-i9-9990xe-up-to-5-ghz-auction-only https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l60MnDJklnM
So, a CPU so super binned that they can't even retail it properly?
cmon intel if you're gonna go this route you gotta make an AI auctioneer complete with fast talking southern accent.
What the fuck are you doing, Intel?
I bid a uuhm CACTUS. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15tnqRGz9OA
So it's just a hyper-clocked/TDP'd 9940X? Why not just get the 9980XE then? And furthermore, why do we now have two Extreme chips in the first place? The Extreme Edition is supposed to be Intel's absolute flagship chip for that generation. It was confusing enough when the X suffix went from "Extreme Edition" to "X-Series" and we had to introduce a new XE suffix for the Extreme chip (which is part of the X-Series). Now we have two Extreme chips, and the 9980XE is arguably better than the 9990XE, which is auction-only? And hell, I'm still not entirely clear on what the exact difference is between the "normal" X chips now and the K chips.
MY BID IS ONE NIGHT IN THE SACK WITH MYSELF.
As far as I can tell, the X-series is what uses the server/workstation socket (currently LGA-2066) instead of the regular desktop socket (LGA1151). That gives them access to four memory channels (instead of two), more PCIe lanes (44 instead of 16 from the CPU), and I think a higher maximum power draw (I would not want to try pushing 250W through an LGA1151). Now, why they see the need to have an X-series i5 and i7 is beyond me. Is it directly marketed to stupid people?
And meanwhile in the Ryzen camp, every chip actually has a purpose for existing and a naming scheme that makes sense. (Well okay, I'm not certain either on Ryzen's distinction between U/H or between G/GE, but outside of that...)
That one's my personal favorite
GE is two separate suffixes. G means it has a GPU, quite sensibly. E means it's in a lower TDP bracket (probably stands for "efficient") and thus lower clock speeds - sort of the opposite of the X suffix, which means it's in a higher TDP bracket (WX seems to mean two TDP brackets higher, 250W+ instead of 90-180W). There's also the mobile suffixes H (35W+) and U (12W+), all with integrated graphics. And the PRO prefix literally just means guaranteed commercial availability to manufacturers, like they're contractually obligated not to discontinue the chip and to be able to provide a certain number per quarter. You can get chips with just the E suffix (2600E), with just the G (2400G), or with both (2400GE). And in theory we could get a GX suffix, a 90W+ processor with integrated graphics, but they haven't made anything like that yet. I don't think we can get a GWX suffix, because AIUI the AM4 socket can't handle WX-level power draw but TR4 socket doesn't have video outputs.
I thought the Pro chips also had a few extra business-related features? I would've said ECC support as an example, but it's come to my understanding that all Zen-based chips support ECC. But you know what I mean.
I did not know that, but turns out it does add some enterprisey "security" features - secure boot, TPM, memory encryption, and some remote management stuff. On top of a longer warranty period, which I didn't know about either.
What the fuck are those prices for their chips.
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.