• Giant Foods unveil Marty the Robot coming to 172 locations
    26 replies, posted
https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2019/01/14/giant-food-stores-will-place-robotic-assistants-inside-locations-company-says/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.3521b2c3bc22 https://mobile.twitter.com/TrentonBureau/status/1084826288920150018?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1084826288920150018&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.washingtonpost.com%2Ftechnology%2F2019%2F01%2F14%2Fgiant-food-stores-will-place-robotic-assistants-inside-locations-company-says%2F
I love how their solution to it looking oppressing is to just say 'fuck it' and throw some googley eyes on it. Also this seems like a huge money sink for such a small function. I also don't have a lot of faith in its ability to read hazards and not make false positives.
It would be cool if you could ask if where shit is, that would be neat.
It'd probably cost less to have commercial-sized roombas in different colors. These rolling obelisks are just another pair of eyes wandering the store.
What a waste of money Staff find out about spills and hazards from customers complaining about them anyways, and promptly deal with it to avoid litigation from customer injury. Further, stores have staff walking around putting shit away all the time anyways, who should be reporting spills and such as well. This thing could be more useful if it: Cleaned up spills, liquid or debris Pointed customers to where items could be found yes/no to items still in stock
Why pay someone 13-15k a year when you can buy a robot for the same cost and never have to pay it ever again.
I SEE YOU ARE PURCHASING A CUCUMBER AND CONDOMS DO YOU REQUIRE FURTHER ASSISTANCE wtf shut up robot
"I see you have acquired an egg plant and some personal lubricant. But who am I to judge?"
As a grocery store worker, all I can pay attention to is how rusty as fuck that u-boat (The gray cart) is.
As a grocery store worker I'd knock this cunt over the second I saw his ineffective ass trundling down an aisle failing to identify the latest pool of blood or sick (or blood sick) a customer has oh-so-gratefully excreted and left to stew.
Customers often bleed out at the store you work at ?
That would be a tripping hazard.
I little fucker here like to just stop in front of you and won't move till you pass it, also if it detects a "spill" it will stop in the middle of the aisle and turn yellow while saying "CAUTION HAZARD DETECTED" then call for associates over the intercom.
oh this thing is gonna be great in any region with snowfall. "SPILL DETECTED ON ISLE 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10...."
Oh, excuse me, Mr. Fat-Cat Moneybags, over here, with their rust-free u-boats.
Well sticking a big pair of googly eyes is infinitely more effective at making these robots charming rather than trying to put a realistic human face on it.
https://files.facepunch.com/forum/upload/200755/8f796cef-1b7d-4bc0-bf89-f186ac0373b8/213px-Character_Hedonismbot.png future design of Marty
No but you have circumstances where customers just suffer injuries, or like, a pre-existing wound opens and they bleed all over the place, or they vomit in an aisle, and just walk away instead of saying something. I actually saw an old man straight up shit pure liquid down his trouser leg in a straight torrent, then keep walking as if nothing happened. It's baffling.
I worked at a Giant once. It was fucking awful. A guy threatened to murder me and showed me a knife because his credit card took a little too long to read. Management's response was "Oh yeah we know that guy he's just crazy" I wonder if he'll try to stab the robot.
damn where you working that has uboats in good condition ill be lucky to grab one with all the wheels working decent
My favourite thing about this is a town nearby has the Holy Trifecta, the beer store, the gun store, and the police station.
I work at Giant and I can safely say that we don't need robots when 100% of the employees already fill that role
Well, my store was literally constructed only two years ago, so that probably explains it. Our electric palletjacks already look beat to shit though.
Lowe's Home Improvement has been testing robots to help customers locate items, too. I can't help but wonder if it would be more cost-effective to have an augmented reality app on one's phone that locates items within a store...
I know HomeDepot already has a system in place where you can look up a product, and set the store you're in (though usually done automatically with location data), and it'll tell you (given its in stock) which aisle and which bay the item is located. Definitely pretty nifty. How would the AR help, though, sans a BioShock-esque arrow pointing you in the direction?
Basically for people who are too dumb to actually read products (there are many). You hold the phone up, phone uses landmarks, you basically have "X-ray vision" of the store to show you exactly where it is. I dunno, I just think it's a neat idea.
Welcome to the crushing and impending future of automation, please help the robot that will one day take your job.
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.