• Why pilots have complained about Boeing's 737 MAX 8
    16 replies, posted
https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/03/13/boeing-737-max-8-pilots-voiced-safety-concerns-before-ethiopia-crash/3145393002/ Two pilots reported their aircraft unexpectedly pitched nose down after they engaged autopilot following departure. Another pilot reported a “temporary level off” triggered by the aircraft automation. The captain of a flight in November 2018 called part of the aircraft’s flight manual “inadequate and almost criminally insufficient.” “The fact that this airplane requires such jury rigging to fly is a red flag,” that captain – who was not identified by name – wrote in a report to the federal Aviation Safety Reporting System. The captain said part of the plane’s flight system was “not described in our Flight Manual.” In one documented complaint, a pilot said the plane's downturn triggered the ground proximity warning system, which is designed to alert pilots when their planes are in immediate danger. The complaint states an alarm sounded “don’t sink, don’t sink” before the captain disconnected the autopilot and manually adjusted the plane to climb.
Whos the bright mind that thought this up. Managed to kill a few hundred people with your wonderful idea
This is the sort of thing that happens when you lay off or transfer your really experienced people to avoid paying them more money. You lose the knowledge and experience
Not the first time Boeing cut corners, and definitely not the first time they introduced new systems in a 737 revision with little training and/or documentation. Here's hoping lessons are learned and changes made correctly
If Boeing one of the largest engineering companies on the planet can't figure out that you don't skimp out on your engineers then no company will.
The old adage stays true; if it's a Boeing, I'm not going. Funny enough Boeing tried to twist that saying into a positive a few years back; if it's NOT Boeing, I'm not going. https://files.facepunch.com/forum/upload/109718/2b52f25e-bb6d-48b2-b776-f1c1b213caf5/boeing-if-it-s-not-boeing-i-m-not-going-lanyard-1.jpg
There's plenty of scummy companies that care about profits more than anything else without giving a shit if people die. It reminds me of the shit with the Ford Pinto. Ford figured it'd cost more to fix the problem with the fuel tank easily being set on fire after collisions than it would to go through lawsuits, so they just figured 'fuck it, so what if people die, lawsuits will be cheaper than actually saving lives ;)' it wasn't.
i looked into this and it seems like "If it's not Boeing, I'm not going" came first.
This year they need to make more than 10B in profit for the investors. Where do they get the money? Either they cut costs or charge more. What's one of the biggest costs? Labour. Cut labour, save on costs, increase profits.
Ehh. Boeing has tried every trick in the book at this point to maintain its profitability. They're at the point where firing people won't do any good as far as I'm aware so the only thing they can do is either start automating the processes which is almost impossible given Boeings "strewn about all over the damn place" philosophy or build more facilities with outomation in mind. I would assume this problem is appearing because they rushed out the 737 not because they cut staff.
Top complaint: "It keeps crashing when I fly it"
"Prone to unscheduled landings."
into the fucking ground
The original saying was "If it ain't Boeing it ain't going" This was back when Airbus was a joke and their domestic competition was building planes that kept killing people. Airbus caught up and Boeing has had constant missteps and failures, a lot of airlines cancled their 787 orders and converted them to A350 orders. I suspect the same is about to happen
Ah good to know. Never knew the positive came first, I only heard the negative version until a few years back during a Boeing sponsored airshow and thought it was a marketing gimmick. Guess it's what I get for being surrounded with Airbus fans
as someone in the aircraft supply chain, everything is crazy expensive because you're paying for the regulations, and a lot of companies don't have enough capacity to meet demand and these parts and assemblies have very little automation involved. Ontop of that GE and PWA have both had major engine fuckups in the last 2 years that resulted in massive reorders of engines, at a time when their suppliers can't even keep up with the normal volume of orders.
The first one that crashed had the same problem the flight before it crashed and only a third pilot that wasn't even supposed to be flying knew how to fix the problem, but they flew it again anyway what the fuck. https://www-bloomberg-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2019-03-19/how-an-extra-man-in-cockpit-saved-a-737-max-that-later-crashed?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bloomberg.com%2Fnews%2Farticles%2F2019-03-19%2Fhow-an-extra-man-in-cockpit-saved-a-737-max-that-later-crashed
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.