• 737 MAX pilots scoured manual in minutes before Lion Air crash in Indonesia
    38 replies, posted
If a feature is offered as optional, it’s not really fair to blame the airline for not purchasing it (blame them for training, procedures, maintenance etc). Boeing’s optional safety features, in part, could have helped the pilots detect any erroneous readings. One of the optional upgrades, the angle of attack indicator, displays the readings of the two sensors. The other, called a disagree light, is activated if those sensors are at odds with one another. ... “They’re critical, and cost almost nothing for the airlines to install,” said Bjorn Fehrm, an analyst at the aviation consultancy Leeham. “Boeing charges for them because it can. But they’re vital for safety.” ... “There are so many things that should not be optional, and many airlines want the cheapest airplane you can get,” said Mark H. Goodrich, an aviation lawyer and former engineering test pilot. “And Boeing is able to say, ‘Hey, it was available.’” But what Boeing doesn’t say, he added, is that it has become “a great profit center” for the manufacturer.
I love arstechnica's title for this story: They didn’t buy the DLC: feature that could’ve prevented 737 crashes was sold as an option
Arguably the larger fault lies with Boeing trying to market a significantly different plane as a drop-in replacement for an older one. If you sell companies on the idea that your new plane won't require them to do anything differently, don't be surprised when they take your word for it.
But regulations are just red tape that holds the economy back right :/
where were you when microtransactions killed 346 people in the span of 3 months
the words "optional safety feature" should probably never ever be together in the sphere of aircraft, who the fuck could on a good conscience leave out a safety feature from an aircraft just to make more money
"Optional safety features" is an unfortunately common thing throughout a few industries. German car manufacturers are terrible for doing the same thing.
I heard on a tv report that those that actually bought the safety features never actually got anything, ill double check back with a source when I can
Boeing.
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.