• Three Months After Firing 900 people, ActiBlizz put out a Recruitment Video
    31 replies, posted
https://twitter.com/Slasher/status/1128128234548269056 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icB7OZ06oi4
purge all your devs and suck up grads for half the price
I just like how at 0:35 they say "have great opportunities for growth" while there's a screen saying "not great" in the background of the shot. I like to believe it's on purpose.
Pretty much how it works at title and licensing mill studios
You can disable YouTube comments but you're gonna hear about it one way or another.
It's apparently a reupload of an old hiring video. Still an iffy move though imo
Fuck this creepy, smirk-faced corporate shit. They should be forced to put out a video that goes like; "We'll burn you out like the expendable little shits that we think you are, and then we'll dump you out on the street without a second thought."
So you mean to tell me after Giving your CEO a massive bonus Firing over 900 employees Literal lives being shaken up You just decide to throw this out without a second glimpse? Look i'm all for new jobs but how is this fair at all to the ones who have potentially held their position for most than a decade. I get shedding some skin off at times but this just seems like a spit in the face to anyone who dedicated themselves to this workforce to be betrayed like that.
In the words of probably at least one PR guy: "Oops."
Time to make a fake CV, get a midmanagement role, and ruin Overwatch's lore even more.
IIRC, they do this to now owe benefits. And this is the state the world is in...
Meh, still better than most IT "wacky" recruitment videos.
Has this reached the news yet?
That is certainly an older video, becuase a few of the people in it aren't at Blizzard anymore. It's also missing some of the remodels and additions. Still a weird time to upload this.
To be fair, they'll probably have an actual need for more employees now, since they're releasing something that has potential to actually be worth playing. https://twitter.com/Warcraft/status/1128314553253683200
Literally how.
I've not really played the game since Doomfist was added, what have they done to the lore?
They tried to write a story with character interaction, intrigue, and an ongoing plot in a 6v6 no-class-lock no-distinct-teams cooperative shooter that has effectively no ludo-narrative consistency or character development or even character personality on show.
https://files.facepunch.com/forum/upload/235930/89669623-6ae6-46e2-a030-3566c8a77782/image.png You heard the lady, not great!
Pretty much every time ActiBlizz does something that generates controversy nowadays, they'll "reveal" that a random Overwatch character is gay to create a wave of kneejerk media outrage that distracts from whatever they actually did wrong.
? the 800 employees they laid off were nondevelopment and administrative-related jobs. They are almost always hiring, especially in the development department, at least stated in their career page.
Except the people Blizzard fired weren't developers. It was admin staff and such. So... uh... Yeah there's literally no issue here.
weren't they mostly nondevelopers tho?
I'm glad I didn't pursue a career as a game dev, especially at an AAA studio. Not that the indie scene can't be brutally competitive.
Working as a janitor at blizz might be more of a stable position than an actual dev there.
I find it hard to believe that all of those employees were only in non--dev roles. 900 people is a lot of people.
It's been proven that just like any other AAA devs, being on the bottom of the ladder at blizzard is miserable and life consuming.
Activision Blizzard fires almost 800 employees They announced in their publication of the quarterly figures that it is increasingly going to focus on its largest franchises with titles like Call of Duty, Candy Crush, Overwatch, Warcraft and Diablo. Mostly, staff are dismissed that is not directly involved in the development of games. According to sources of game site Kotaku there is cut in the publishing and e-sports divisions.  “Over the last few years, many of our non-development teams expanded to support various needs,” Blizzard president J. Allen Brack said in a note to staff around 1pm PT that was obtained by Kotaku. “Currently staffing levels on some teams are out of proportion with our current release slate. This means we need to scale down some areas of our organization. I’m sorry to share that we will be parting ways with some of our colleagues in the U.S. today. In our regional offices, we anticipate similar evaluations, subject to local requirements.”
They reupload this video every year
No fair whatsoever
Sorry, you need to Log In to post a reply to this thread.