3DS Max 2015 SMD Import/Export?

Has there been any updates or releases for 3DS Max 2015 SMD Import/Export plugin?

its on my TODO list

This is the most awaited plugin for me. I especially want to see the import SMD animation.

not too sure about animation at the moment haven’t looked much into the 3dsmax api

You could use WallWorm in theory if you can stand all the half assed, half implemented features (but with good intentions)

FWIW WW was updated yesterday to WW 2.331. It includes updates to the SMD Exporter that will likely address bone orientations for most people who have had problems in the past who didn’t completely understand the WW workflow. I export models with CAT/Biped rigs easily with this.

Note that the SMD Exporter in WW only supports Max 2014+ when using Skinned models. When updating for 2014, functions changed that broke backwards compatibility with Max 2013 and older. I do not intend on updating the code to accommodate older versions anymore. Max 2012 will no longer be accessible to anyone on Autodesk Subscription come this Spring.

@Sam. I appreciate that you may not understand all the functions in WW. Many people have had problems over the years who did not understand how the WW functions work. Part of that is my own fault for not always documenting everything. That takes a lot of time. But I do my best. But this week’s update is, in large part, my attempt to make it easier for users to export animated models without knowing the internals of WW. You may find that after this update, you have less headaches trying to figure it out.

I assure you that things aren’t half-assed and work as intended. But I’m morphing WW to become more “as expected” as well.

In this effort, I’ve updated the documentation on Exporting CAT and Biped Models for the WW 2.331 update. The updates also affect the VTA exporter, and I will possibly be updating the Making Facial Animations docs in the near future as well.

Ah WW beat me to it :D. I was about to say I literally just decompiled and imported SMD’s with WW last night and the day before that as well so yeah, that does work.

Can WW import from SMD animation? Like SMD Importer plugin for 2012 max

haven’t tested myself but there is a “with animation” check box.

Thanks for your support Wallworm, I had many issues in the past specially regarding exporting rigged models, regardless how I tried I would always get a underwhelming result in HLMV, and your displacement tools wouldn’t always work, but I really appreciate your effort and I like to see you’re trying to improve your tool

I had this issue for example exporting my model, while using cannonfodder with the same settings worked fine

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2014/13/1396106655-untitled.png

Yes. But the results vary depending on the version+service pack of Max you are using, the version of WW and the complexity of the QC you are importing. For best results, use Max 2014+ with latest service pack–and access to the original SMD and QC is preferred to decompiled.

Rigged models have always been a nuisance. And they will continue to be that way in WW for versions of Max prior to Max 2014 because of the reasons explained above. The way I see it is that if you have Max 2012, you already have the Wunderboy/Cannonfodder plugins… meaning that there is no need for the WW SMD Exporter for that version of Max.

Before this week’s update, there were also specific requirements for exporting a Skinned model successfully. Taking those requirements out of the setup should make it far easier to get the results you expect. Again, this update likely wont’ help if you are using older Max. It is preferred to use Max 2014 SP5+ or Max 2015 SP2.

If you have an issue with the displacements, I would like a sample scene and description of how the situation arose. The displacements have been working in a stable fashion since at least the beginning of 2013, probably longer. Of course, there can be a situation I may not know about, which is why it is helpful if you encounter a bug that you send me the details.

Why not make a barebones SMD importer / exporter then? WallWorm itself is a neat idea in all the features it provides but it also reduces the need for people to edit their QC manually which means people don’t learn as much as they should when they run in to problems later on. The rest of the tools aren’t necessary but if you’d still prefer to keep them (perhaps so anybody new to modding with Source can start with them and migrate to the barebones SMD plugins eventually) at least focus on the plugins over the features granted the rest is generally fixable without excessive coding knowledge.

In the end, I know next to nothing about WallWorm so pardon my ignorance.

I have Max 2014 w/ wallworm and Max 2010 with cannonfoddet, I can give you my .max file if you want to take a copser look

I’d say that not having to manually make the QC and all the extra hoops is a much better option. I’m modeller and programmer and I was having a hell of a time figuring out what I had to do where and in what order.

Now I can just model, select some stuff, export and have it ready for source in like 10 seconds. If I wanna edit the QC I still can and just reexport it with that one if I’d like which is also super handy.

A properly built QC can be split into multiple QCIs which can be used as removable or replaceable modules. When I work on a new model, I pretty much just recycle a QC I already built and replace a few variables which is primarily the path and such. If you’re a programmer: QC commands are like functions and not knowing what they do could be a problem in itself. It’s nice to fiddle with that stuff at some point and then to eventually build up your own QC to your liking so you can re-use it effortlessly but so you can fix it just as effortlessly if something goes wrong.

Point being QC generation can be a useful time-saver but it might also create things you don’t quite want and you can save just as much time by just recycling your own QC anyway. It’s much different from using SMD importers and exporters that can result in import/export bugs you can’t fix as easily. It’d be better to prioritize the importers / exporters and to allow the ability to disable QC generation (if it can’t be already) for “advanced” users to just work with their own.

hey, wallworm. i have problems with 2015 SMD Import. when i import the model. the Weights are not correct.

does wallworm even retain normals when importing?

You can do both with WW afaik. There is a button that when you have your model selected you can hit QC or QCI and it will open the file. WW was smart when he made this and made it so there’s a lot of stuff you can do with it easy and fast and then if you’re advanced you can do stuff manually if you really feel like it (like the QC for example).

Also, any time I’ve run into problems with stuff I can just go to the forums and so far, he’s been able to tell me where I messed up. Live and learn really.

If you try and weld the verts the normals break or are inaccurate to what they were.

Yes, feel free to email any to me and I will try to see what is breaking what.

As someone who is also both a modeler and programmer, I share your opinion. Time isn’t infinite. As @Captain said it might help some people to learn by doing things manually. That is certainly true also. But there are things that people assume about what should or should not be necessary based on how historic workflows go. For example, had we always had to edit levels in Notepad or always been able to drag OBJs into Hammer, the answers about what is necessary to know would be different. Especially if you are like me and bypass Hammer in Max, you find that there are many steps that are completely irrelevant in traditional workflows.

I do agree that the more you know about the technical under-the-hood side, the better off you are. But I am a pragmatist and constantly find ways to save myself (and others) time.

The skinning problems happen on some sections of some models. In almost all of my tests involving characters, I have had to do some cleanup skinning. Some of this is due to the SMDs having more weights than Source seems to use, and the importer doesn’t know what weights to keep and what to lose. Other times, there seems to be a Skin modifier default setting that gets applied to the importer that changes as the user adjusts skin generally in Max… affecting future imports. I haven’t figured out which setting that is yet. I have a feeling it is related to envelope radius.

What it means is that imported models going from Source to Max need some clean up at this point in time. In some tests, the weights are perfect immediately. Others, not. I’m not if/when I will get time to look at this in more detail.

As noted, yes, it does (both importing and exporting). When you use the Weld Verts option in the importer, the normals are lost. No way around that. But the Weld Verts option is often pointless, so just don’t use it.

(To re-export the modified normals, you must use the WW SMD Exporter and the setting for Explicit Normals. But as noted previously, this works well only in Max 2014+ if there is a Skin modifier involved.)

I am glad you mentioned this because it is a feature that seems to be ignored by many people. I’ve tried to make anything that can be automated less tedious. But if you want more complex models, there is no getting around the fact that you may have to edit the QC. Creating QCI libraries is obviously an important aspect of successful development. For me, WWMT is all I ever need for static props or simple animated props; but WWMT is often just a head-start or scaffold for more complex things.