512x512x512 map challenge.

Try to make something that’s both good looking and playable, with a gameplay area that fits inside a 512³ unit cube. (3d Skyboxes and things of that nature can be outside the 512x512 limit.)

Use any source game you like, but keep gameplay in mind. (TF2 is going to be a real challenge if anyone attempts it)

maps must be posted, along with a screenshot by September 20th

UPDATE: When you finish the map send me a PM with at least 1 screenshot and a link to the .bsp

Current Participants:
Cragbones
TH3_L33T
Robmaister12
Dead Chicken
Shadow026
BJK
Pelf
Seb Sinclair
TheXeon
Appolo441
Ace417
Dlaor
Glennman94
Stickma
laserpanda- mapping but not competing
Heroicpillow
Lord Ivan
Hazrd24
Diealready
Captain Quirk
Evilbla
Tsuyoshi
CunningHam
jakemaheu
MS-DOS4
Not_Yet
CrazyMonkay
arleitiss-* finished*

you can’t make anything playable within 512 units

I made a deathmatch map that was fun for 4 or 5 people, having multiple floors helps a lot.

I’m good at vignettes so this should be easy for me.

I may enter something.

This sounds like a good challenge, but maybe it might be best to narrow it down to one game and/or gamemode. That way, we can build our maps to fit it.

Real men do 128x128x128.

So everyone’s stuck inside each other basically?

Fucking yes.

That’s how real men play HL2 son.

I’m in. Working on it now.

Like djshox said, narrow it down to one gamemode. It’d be more of a challenge.

Real men do 64x64x64

I believe at that size only gnomes can do it.

REAL Men use 1x1x1. With miniature skybox models.
On a more serious note, you should make it not have to be playable

But thats like the biggest challenge!
That would really kill the whole thing.

I think that’s a bit too vague. :raise:

And to everyone telling me it’s not vague, “things of that nature” is about as vague as vagueness can possibly be

How is it vague? Your map can look as big as you want it to look, but the playable area must be 512x512x512.

http://screenshot.xfire.com/screenshot/large/dbf40603d6cabd0d4c4372d41977872879db5d33.jpg

I’m bad at making damage look good.

I’m in! Making something as we speak!

EDIT!

I gave up… i decided to use carve this ONE and ONLY! time and to many microbrushes :smiley: and I don’t feel like fixing them all.

I’m starting up hammer for this, now I just need an idea…

is there a specific engine we need to use or can I use ep2?

I’ve had an idea for about a half hour, I’ve gotten pretty far in the brushwork… I’ll post screenshots when I get to texturing it…

What don’t you get? What he means is that if you are making a 3d Skybox it does not have to fit within the 512x512x512 limitation

Is there a time limit? I am thinking of tossing some custom models in there while I’m at it.