6x10 Mapping Competition #2 ElevatorVille

This competition is being kindly sponsored by http://www.SteamContests.Com.

The prize, in addition to the points, is $25 US Dollars (paid via PayPal) plus two random Steam games.

For this competition I want you to create puzzles to allow an elevator to work or open.

To enter, you need a minimum of 3 floors. The objective is to create some sort of puzzle to get the elevator up or down to the next floor.

You can have “press the right buttons”, combat, power supply issues, shoot something; anything to get the elevator working.

Each floor can be completely different from the others. They don’t have to have any visual connection with each other. They can be abstract, funky, Combine-esque, Ravenholm, Sixties London (if you wanna make the textures and models); the choice is yours.

The winner will be the map that was most fun to play and looked good.

As usual, if you have any questions, please use the comments system below or email me directly: [EMAIL=“planetphillip@gmail.com”]planetphillip@gmail.com.

There are NO additional rules that apply to this competition - but make sure you READ the main rules!

There will be points available for individual puzzles, so even if you don’t win, you may get valuable points to add to the final total.

Here is the main competition page: http://www.planetphillip.com/6x10/

PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU READ THE RULES

So basically elevator:source with puzzles? cool I’m in.

I dunno if I could do 3 floors in 10 days but I spose I could try

It’s a minimum of 3 floors in 10 days.

This may be a dumb question but does it have to be just one elevator, or can I change how many elevators I want it to be?

It’s not a dumb question. You can choice how many elevators you use.

So its kinda like portal?

Yeah, kinda.

I’m adding voice acting to mine, but I have the most BORING voice ever… Still need a good theme as well as puzzles :confused:

EDIT: Are custom textures allowed?

before working on another map maybe read the rules

One map per mapper per competition.
The map must be original and not have been released publicly before.
By entering the competition you grant PlanetPhillip.Com the right to release the map as part of the 6x10 mappack.
Maps must not appear before the release and for one month after the release of the mappack.
No assets from retail games other than HL2, HL2: Ep1 or HL2: Ep2 are allowed.
Other assets are allowed with written permission from their original authors, which MUST be included in the entry.
Phillip's decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into about it.
The map MUST have a proper name.
The map MUST have a proper filename: YourMapName_pp_6x10.bsp
Each competition may have specific rules, which will be detailed at the time of the theme announcement.
All entries must be sent to: planetphillip@gmail.com no later than the deadline.

I think I’m going to enter this. I just need to plan it out. Don’t really want to get halfway through and then have no idea what I’m doing.

Glad to hear it. I agree, a planned approach is the best option.

this sounds interesting, I’ve got some great ideas. but i’m not sure if i can finish it in 10 days!

Try trimming them down. Just so you know, there will be no extensions of deadline.

It’s not stated there.

No assets from retail games other than HL2, HL2: Ep1 or HL2: Ep2 are allowed.

This means I can’t pull stuff from day of defeat, but it says nothing about custom textures…
However, he posted this

“Sixties London (if you wanna make the textures and models)”

So I think we can, just making sure.

Yes, I felt that it was implicit in the idea that you can’t do this, but everything else is fine.

Just to be clear, yes, custom assets are allowed. If you didn’t create them, please get permission to use them first.

Hmmm, does this contest count as commercial? If it does, I might have to change textures…

No, I wouldn’t consider this as commercial. The release will be free and no income is generated from it.

ahk cool. Is there a file size limit? cause I’m gonna have quite a few custom textures…

No, there are no limits.

Please don’t forget the deadline.