A Beginner's Texture Problems

I am a new mapper in the Garry’s Mod community and need just a bit of help getting started with textures.

I tried to de-compile some of the generic Star Wars textures in some maps and placed them into the Garry’s Mod materials folder using the following directory:

D:\Steam\steamapps\common\GarrysMod\garrysmod\materials\Custom\Creator Files\Star Wars Stuff\Star Wars Stuff 2\Materials (My D drive is the place I install most of my stuff because my C drive is getting full).

When I tried to do this and go into Hammer’s texture browser, it just seems to break Hammer until I remove the entire file and I don’t know why this is happening (again, I am an extreme novice). If anyone can provide me with the correct way to place textures into the interface, that would be great. I will update on any future problems I have. Thanks!

-MARIOGUY789

Post Script: The files that I de-compiled also contained misc. props and other models, which I don’t know if there’s some sort of problem with placing those in the same folder or otherwise.

look at the .vmt file for info on where the textures should be put

"$basetexture"	"concrete\c3a1_ConcreteWall_001b"

thats you line you need to look at after “$basetexture” i the directory setup concrete is the folder the texture will be in, the way you did it you’d have 5 folders

Custom\Creator Files\Star Wars Stuff\Star Wars Stuff 2\Materials

if those folder settings aren’t in the .vmt Hammer will not find the textures, also the Custom folder is broken in Gmod, so you have to place the textures into the materials folder to be found

Ah… I see, that’s what I forgot. Thanks taz0, but one other thing, I made that “Custom” folder myself, as when I went into the base materials folder, there was no such folder.

Update

I can’t seem to figure out how the file system works, so here’s what I need to know:

1. I took the textures and props I needed to use from already existing edits in order to make my map. I needed the Jedi Knight textures and didn’t know where to find them, as they seem standard for most Star Wars maps, therefore I got them from decompiling other maps (I intended to use just the textures because no one person owns the Star Wars textures, as far as my knowledge goes, and I got permission to use the props, just to clarify). If there is another way to get the textures other than decompiling other people’s creations, I’d be glad to hear it.

2. If the textures are already made and I want to use them, what should I do in order to get them to work in my map? (Is there a way to avoid editing every single extension, and where do I do it if it’s already created?)

3. In which folder do I place the textures and models into (as in, do I create a different folder rather than “Custom”, and are they separate)?

4. How can I downsize the amount of files I am making? Because I seem to be creating a lot of extra ones.

Thanks for reading, these should have been the original questions, and I apologize for not making myself clearer before.

Without recompiling or using some other tool you aren’t going to be able to move the model or it’s textures to another directory. The paths are determined in the QC file.

There might be a program that already exists for changing the paths but like it seems like a lot of unnecessary work. Why not just leave the props where they are?

when you decompile a map to get the assets you’ll get a maps folder in the materials folder these textures are made by the cubemaps and are for reflections so are of no use to you, and like Sreap said, its best to keep them in the original folders that they were in, If you downloaded the map from the work shop you might beable to find a download link to the textures with out having to extract them from the map which would be better

@Sreap, taz0

Okay, so just to get everything straightened out:

The textures from the maps won’t do me any good, so should I just ask for a download link if I can’t find one? And after I do get said textures, what about the props? (I was told by Lord Trilobite that I could use his Rogue One Prop Pack: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=946190478&searchtext=Imperial+prop+pack
and in his words: “You can use Gmad to extract them so yuo can place them in the game folder for use in Hammer.”)

Going back to the textures one last time, how will they look when I get them? As in, will they all be on one sprite sheet, or will they be separate? And finally, how would I go about creating .vmf and .vtf files for all of them?

Thanks, sorry if I sound completely uninformed here, but I’m still learning.

uausaly if you download an addons that has the map, models and textures there already place in the correct folders so once you’ve extracted them with Gmad you just drop the folders in to the gmod folder and away you go, no fussiing, If you ask the map creater for the custum textures again they should be ready to go when placed in the gmod folder, if your given .TGA or .PNG files you’ll need VTFedit to convert them and write the .vmt and vtf files for you, https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Creating_a_Material so give you a little insight on making materials

Thanks again for your help @Sreap and taz0, I have placed the textures into the materials folder directly from the original folders, and I seem to be able to find the textures in the Hammer browser, but now I’m having a different problem: the textures are showing up as debug (pink and black) textures instead of the correct textures. If anyone could give me any info on how to fix this, I’d be glad to listen.

can you provide a dl link to the textures so i an look at them

@taz0
How would I go about doing that?

where did you get the textures ?

@taz0
I still had the textures from the decompile because the author of the map wasn’t responding to any more comments.

[editline]11th July 2017[/editline]

@taz0
Sorry, I neglected to mention that the textures I am referring to are from this map: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=907215395&searchtext=star+wars

after you extract from the addon if you cut and paste the materials,models and sound folders to \steamapps\common\GarrysMod\garrysmod they should work correctly, at least they do for me

@taz0
So, just the garrysmod folder, and not the materials folder?

[editline]11th July 2017[/editline]

Just placed them into the base garrysmod folder and they disappeared from the browser.

In steamapps\common\GarrysMod\garrysmod you should already have materials, models and sound folders, so with the materials,models and sound folders you just drop them in steamapps\common\GarrysMod\garrysmod so if you have any duplicate models, sounds or textures it’ll ask you if its ok to over write them,
can you share a screen pic of the garrysmod folder where you put the folders and a screen pic of inside the materials folder :slight_smile:

@taz0
I will post the screen captures here, but first, how do I upload images from my computer? It’s only displaying the ability to add images from the internet.

use the imgur website http://imgur.com/ upload there, then you’ll get a url to post on the thread :slight_smile:

http://imgur.com/SMoMNQN (garrysmod folder)
http://imgur.com/tSqYpdZ (materials folder)

coruscant_holoprojecter,coruscant_sign_1,custom,jedi_statue1,models and starwars folders should be in the materials folder after you have copied them over from the addon then they’ll work in hammer and ingame

@taz0
Okay, so I decided to place each of those folders into their own, just to make it easier, and now they show up in the browser, but they are still pink and black.

I have placed the following new folders into the GMod materials folder just to contain all of the materials and models into categories:

1. ATST
  2. Coruscant
  3. Star Wars 1
  4. Imperial Prop Pack

Again, the textures are still showing up, but they are pink and black dev textures instead. (I’ll include some screenshots below).

http://imgur.com/HtnS7p5 (Pink and Black)
http://imgur.com/rYk7USb (Current folders in directory)

Thanks again.