A complain and some suggestions.

Hi, everyone.

The way I see it, an alpha game forum it is all about complains (constructive criticism, well or poorly expressed), suggestions from the community and an active dev staff reading and answering posts. I don’t see that in this forum, all I see is either people wasting their time and efforts posting their complains about the game getting banned or getting a close thread for it by moderators (who gave non satisfactory reasons and have no intention to be comprehensive nor gentle) or people wasting even more time thinking and posting their ideas to not even get a response from the devs. So my question, is it worthy this effort? In other games in development I see their forums and I get amazed at the way the devs take serious and argue with their community. Don’t get me wrong, I am not saying that devs should be in this forum all day long, I know they are busy making the game but I am busy too and that don’t stop me to came here every day to read and rate the posts. Why do I do that? Cause I like the game, and I am interested in what people have to say. Shouldn’t devs be more interested? Even if they don’t response the threads the rate system would let us know if they read the posts. I know that some post get responded by Garry, but I want more post responded and from more devs than Garry. I want to feel that the community of this forum is involved in the development of this game. This last week I have seen plenty of posts of people complaining about the key system and some people defending the system and reminding that it will change, but something shock me, nothing about keys in the devblog this week. It seems that the community really wants some more explanation about the future of keys than this, and we got nothing. Do we need to go twit the devs or reddit our ideas if we want their attention?

Well I finished complaining, it was something I needed to say, dumbrate me for it. Let’s start with the suggestions:

Parallel lock system, this system gives the freedom to the player to choose what is best for defending his house in order of his circumstances, what resources and blueprints he has in the moment and it adjust to player gameplay and decisions:

Tier 1: This tier is for the player to hide in a crappy 1x1 cabinet, afraid of the night.
The wood plank (thanks to mrknifey):
Building: Blueprint by default, x wood.
Breaking: 3-5minutes (on your own and depending on the tool you are using), only from the inside.
Feature: One side lock easy to craft. The problem is or someone is inside when you leave the house or the doors stays open after you leave.
The latches (also thanks to mrknifey):
Building: Blueprint by default, x metal frags.
Breaking: 3-5minutes (on your own and depending on the tool you are using), only from the inside.
Feature: One side lock easy to craft. It is the same as the wood plank.

Tier 2: It is still crap.
The wooden combination lock:
Building: Blueprint by default, needs a workbench, x wood.
Breaking: 3-5 minutes. It can be lock picked by try and error. It can be repaired with a tier 1 hammer.
Feature: It is a simple crappy mechanism this one, the combination wheel got a finite number of position, if you are raiding you can choose one and try to open it, if you fail like 4 times the lock breaks and then you have to destroy the whole lock or the door if you want to enter.
The wooden key lock:
Building: Blueprint by default, needs a workbench, x wood.
Breaking: 5-10 minutes. It can’t be lock picked cause if you try the mechanism breaks. It can be repaired with a tier 1 hammer.
Feature: We all know.

Tier 3: This one is the usual; it provides you with a good chance to defend your house.
The metal combination lock:
Building: Normal blueprint drop at remnants, needs a workbench, x wood y metal frags.
Breaking: 15-20 minutes. It can be sound lock picked. It can be repaired with a tier 2 hammer.
Feature: This one is the combination lock we all know from lockers and safes. It got more than one digit so lock picking it by try and error is hell. But you can sound lock pick it.
The metal key lock:
Building: Normal blueprint drop at remnants, needs a workbench, x-c wood y-c metal frags.
Breaking: 15-30 minutes. It can be repaired with a tier 2 hammer. Trying to lock pick it breaks the mechanism.
Feature: We all know.

Tier 4: Well now we are talking about some really pro rusty gamer shit.
The electronic combination lock:
Building: Rare blueprint drop at remnants, needs a tier 2 workbench, x wood y high quality metal frags and some specific rare drop components found at remnants.
Breaking: 20-40 minutes. Breaking it locks the door for good. It can be repaired with a tier 3 hammer. It can’t be lock picked.
Feature: Safest combination lock. It needs a fueled generator to work.
The magnetic cardkey lock:
Building: Rare blueprint drop at remnants, needs a tier 2 workbench, x-c wood y-c high quality metal frags and some specific rare drop components found at remnants.
Breaking: 30-50 minutes. Breaking it locks the door for good. It can be repaired with a tier 3 hammer. It can’t be lock picked.
Feature: We all know. It needs a fueled generator to work.

Tier 5: This is the best, this is what you want in your house (in your real life house).
The handkey lock:
Building: Very rare blueprint drop at remnants, needs a tier 2 workbench, x wood y high quality metal frags and rare drop components found at each one of the remnants. If you want to craft this lock you need to fulfill an adventurous travel to each one of the remnants in game to get each of the necessary components.
Breaking: 30-50 minutes. Breaking it locks the door for good. It can be repaired with a tier 3 hammer. You can lock pick it by cutting the hand of the owner and using it as a key, before he reconfigures the device.
Feature: It can be configured by a secure password to open to the hands of the chosen players. It needs a fueled generator to work.

Building upgrade:
The way I see it, this game has three main features: gathering resources, building houses and defending houses. Same way as key system is part of the defending house feature (there will be traps and other stuff further in the development) upgrading the building is part of the building houses feature. Every one of this features got to be interesting and more or less funny or rewarding somehow, while I am sure that the keys system will be improved in a way that will make happy the community I am not so sure about the upgrading. It is horribly tedious to hit a wall for hours to upgrade it. My solution is to encourage the gathering feature (which it is fun because of its danger as we all know from legacy) by making a lot more expensive but fastest the upgrading. I must say that the last devblog video about this theme blew my mind, love it. Another thing that I don’t like about this whole upgrading idea is that is harder and consumes more time to break something than building it, It is always easier to break something than to make it, and in legacy with C4 blowing up houses that took weeks to make was a constant reminder of that. That´s why I don’t understand this Tier 5 “unbreakable” houses business.

Animals:
I read this post and it remind me of an idea that I thought it was pointless to share here (come back to the top of the post to know why) but I am going to post it anyway:
I am going to say again that developers of this game or any survival game should play and learn from Don’t Starve, this idea has been inspired in some of that game animal mechanics. For my idea, first of all, we need baby animals, wolverines, cubs, baby deer, young boars…
Now image a fresh restart of a server, after the game generates the map it generates the animals. It will generate two animals of each kind in each spawn location. The number of these initial couples will be relative to the max amount of player that the server allows. From these two animals after some time there will spawn a baby, and after a while it will turn into a grown animal. This will follow a Malthus’s geometric progression until a limit.
The behavior of these growing herds will be similar to the post I linked, with the addition of every kind animal in the game (even deer) attacking the players if they do any harm to the babies.
The thing about this system is that the players have a direct effect in the wild life, being able to extinguish species and forcing them to be conscious about the consequences of killing animals without control.

Long post, thanks for reading.