A couple of texture questions

Is there a way to edit the name of loads of files (.vtfs) so that they have a _nm (normal map) before the format thingy (.jpg).

Is there a way to allow my PC to be able to view .vtfs without the aid of VTFEdit?

Is there a way (perhaps using Vide) to make lots of .vmts simultaneously that add the bump map name as the target texture name, with a _nm on the end?

Thanks in advance.

-snip-

1. Yes, a simple program can do this easily.
  2. Irfanview has a .vtf plugin that can view textures very quickly, but it doesn’t work with Orange Box textures and newer. Shell extensions can be found here: Link
  3. Not yet with VIDE. It’s on my list of things to do.

Also, “_normal” is the typical suffix denoting a normal map.

Could you please suggest a program?

I should have been more specific. I was recently doing a lot of texture renaming, ordering and sorting and it would be so much easier if I could view the .vtfs in the thumbnails.

Would it be possible for me to alter the noitazillait.ini slightly to be able to do this?

It seems plausible, although I’m unsure due to my lack of knowledge of whatever the hell a .ini file is.

Thanks for the answers.

[editline]10:21PM[/editline]

And I’ll do “_normal” instead of “_nm”.

for %%f in (*.vtf) do ren "%%f" "*."
for %%f in (*.) do ren "%%f" "*_normal.vtf"

Save this as a .bat file and run it in the directory with the .vtf files to rename. Beware, this will rename every .vtf in the current directory.

Try out the shell extensions.

Nope, that sort of thing would be built-in.

An .ini is just a configuration file.

Wow, that’s fantastic.

Thank you Terrenteller! :buddy:

[editline]04:43PM[/editline]

Out of curiosity, why couldn’t you do;

for %%f in (*.jpg) do ren "%%f" "*_normal.jpg"

“file.jpg” would be renamed to “file.jpg_normal.jpg”.