A deathmatch map I've been working on

Hello,

Today I spent a few hours making a deathmatch map inspired by a map I saw on a legacy S&box video.

I spent a pretty long time making the textures and normals look nice, I’m very happy with the results.

I’m aware that the lighting looks a little bland, but I don’t want to spend another 4 hours compiling a map.

Any feedback is appreciated :smile:

16 Likes

It reminds me of that map on CSGO called Baggage I think. Looks pretty nice tho

3 Likes

I love your minimalistic approach with the colours for accent highlighting, It’s a cool and simplistic style!

Do you have a floor plan we could see? I like some of the tight corners you have with some of the ramps, but it’s definitely an open arena from what I can see.

Is that a little crouching hole in the center, or are you using a glass material? It would be awesome to play if you had combat sliding!

How are you finding the editor compared to other engines? Anything that got in your way or was it painless?

I hope to see more! :smile:

2 Likes

I was gonna say this.

2 Likes

Reminds me of a 007 GoldenEye map.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback! I’ll be sure to get you a floor plan tomorrow when I’m on my pc.

The middle archway is just a passage to the other half of the map, it’s at a normal scale so players can fit through it without crouching.
The map is pretty large scale, so it’s designed with fast movement speeds in mind.

It would be cool making a gamemode suited with this kind of map style as I’m more of a programmer than a mapper, but I enjoy both.
I’d like to see how this gamemode plays on the dm98 gamemode first though.

I’m really enjoying using the editor, it’s a massive upgrade from the old source 1 hammer. Surprisingly I never came across any issues with it, apart from not being able to mass-apply materials to meshes, it’s probably a feature that I just couldn’t find.

3 Likes

It doesn’t look big. Maybe an info_player_start for scale?

2 Likes

@WYVERN
I traced out a floor plan from the top view of hammer. As you can probably see both halves are symmetrical as I did one half of the map, and mirrored it. The map was designed to be open for fast-paced combat with some smaller “hideout” areas like the stairways on the left/right.

@anon52614226
The scale might look a little small since I posted the screenshots from a high point,

3 Likes

Now with that scale it looks like a Quake map.

2 Likes

It looks huge

2 Likes

карта слишком большая, если на ней и будут играть то только со снайперскими винтовками, ибо пока ты пробежишь центральную комнату даже я успею поесть, попить, сходит в туалет после чего тщательно прицелится и убить тебя.

2 Likes

The map is designed to be big and large scale

3 Likes

Wow, the map looks so satisfying to look at, nice job.

3 Likes

Wait how do you have access to make dis

2 Likes

Some source 2 tools are available in Half Life:Alyx, Steam VR Home, and Dota 2. The most up to date and accessible tools are in Alyx

2 Likes

I used the Half Life Alyx workshop tools

2 Likes