A mapping addon I found a while ago...

Hey, I wasn’t quite sure where to post this so I just decided to post it in the mapping section.

Basically, a while ago when I was browsing around on garrysmod.org and just searching for random things, I came across an addon that apparently lets you place props in a map and have them converted over to hammer. I vaguely remember it having a strange and/or short name, but I figured that I could just go back later and download it as I was busy at the time.

Well, I forgot about it and now I can’t find it again. Any help would be appreciated as it seemed pretty interesting.

Gmod had that feature earlier.
But now, if you place the props in hammer, compile it and do map_edit mapname in the console you can change the location of the props and save it back to hammer.

Once you’re happy just write wc_update_entity in the console and it should save.
Only one note: After you have compiled the map, you must not make any changes, not even save it again or the map_edit won’t work.

I remember this, but I don’t remember the name.

You talking about VMF Loader? It hasn’t been updated in years due to Jinto being lazy.

no, its so you can go into game and set up props (E.G RP maps, placing desks, lights etc) then sending them into hammer so they are there when it compiles.

do want

It’s not that great.

btw
Bam.

Does it convert over constraints? Because that would actually be useful.

Thank you, exactly what I was looking for.

shameless bump

so theoretically, i can create a blank map with no props or anything, just the basics like doors, buildings, etc. and then i can place them in gmod, and move them over to hammer?

sounds pretty damn useful

Useful, but I really don’t understand how it would give you any less control than just placing them in hammer? Cut down on prop search time perhaps, but Valve’s naming convention is pretty straightforward.

one advantage i can see by doing this is that you can see exactly how things are going to look in-game, in real time. i mean you can just go into the useful props menu and spawn a bunch of junk to detail an area and then you can immediately see if something is annoying or in your way or something like that.

You could do the same thing with a player spawn if something could get in the way navigational. Though yeah, I could see it being useful just to look at things from another perspective.