A newbie user having newbie problems

I bought Garry’s mod yesterday, and I am already experiencing some problems.

The first one is that emitters don’t work. I can place, choose effect, but nothing ever happens. I’ve tried toggle on and all that, and they simply don’t work.

The second problem is that I can’t get custom player models to work. I put the files in the Garrysmod folder, put I can’t use it.

And lastly, maps I download doesn’t like to work properly. There are always missing textures or giant error signs everywhere. I suspect this might be because I don’t have CS:S, but I’m not sure.

If anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated.

Try verifying cache files for your emitter problem.

What exactly do you want to do with the player models? Set them as your model or spawn them as ragdolls?

Thirdly, your map problem, this is most likely because the maps have content from games you do not have. Most likely CSS, but could also be EP1 and EP2, maybe even TF2 or Portal.

Where exactly can I find the emitter cache files?

And I think that the player model one was because of the model, since I tried another custom player model, which worked.

Simply go to your Steam library, right click Garry’s Mod, choose properties.

Up the top choose “Local Files” then click “Verify Integrity of cache”. This will take a few minutes and you will not be able to use Steam during that time, just so you know. This basically ensures you have all the files needed. If you don’t, it will pick up on that and re-download them.

PC specs please

Do you have any other source game bysides GMod?