A simple roleplay poll.

[STOP!]

Forget everything about BAD (DarkRP) roleplay in GMod now and THEN answer these poll questions
** Answer these questions about yourself and only your opinions.**

1. What do you think is the most important element in Roleplaying?
  2. Would you rather have GMod Roleplaying be more like a MMO (Skills) or down-and-dirty Roleplaying (Social)?
  3. Do you feel restricted when a roleplay server does not have enough jobs to suit your freedom?
  4. Would you rather make your own jobs, or use predefined ones?
  5. Is economy or social interactions more important?
  6. Do you feel restricted by the amount of real-life entities in Roleplaying?
  7. Do you enjoy manufacturing products to sell?
  8. What’s the number one reason you play one server v.s. another?
  9. Is rule following in RP important to you?
  10. Do you think that RP would be more realistic without guns?

Thanks for your help,

Gbps

1. Socialicing with other roleplayers
  2. MMO like (skills)
  3. No, some jobs shoud be restricted.
  4. Predefined ones, They can have special functions.
  5. Social Interactions
  6. No.
  7. No.
  8. I play on NumberOne they run IRP09 wich is a nice darkrp edit. (http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=813163)
  9. Yes.
  10. No, but people who say a server needs more guns do annoy me; if guns arent a big part of the gamemode they will not be used that much.
  1. Story
  2. Skills (It’s why stranded is so popular, there’s stuff to achieve!)
  3. Since when did anyone actually pick a job? They all just walked around as "Citizen"s and screamed “I do what I want!”
  4. If we’re talking MMO-Like here, I like the idea of having predefined jobs, but being able to combine two of them.
  5. Economy. Social interaction is already elevated to a high enough status simply with vox and text chat.
  6. Define “real life entities”
  7. If there’s money to be made and people willing to buy.
  8. I haven’t played RP (on GMod) in forever and a day. It doesn’t normally go well because either A. there’s nothing/no-one to RP with or B. The people you COULD RP with are 12 yr old admins who want you to “test their contraption” for them.
  9. Define “rule following”
  10. Yea, but It’d also be boring as hell. People tend to RP to get out of the daily grind, not into another one. The gun is there for when they snap.
  1. chilling with other bros
  2. mmo skills
  3. I feel challenged but in a good way
  4. Both
  5. economy
  6. yes
  7. not really
  8. less assholes and more admins
  9. yes
  10. no but less guns
  1. The story and character development.
  2. “Down and dirty roleplaying”. From frequently playing tabletop role-playing games (D&D and GURPS for the most part), I find that actual role-playing is much more enjoyable than having a bunch of numbers, and forcing your goal to be maxing those numbers out.
  3. I ignore pre-defined jobs and simply adjust my title to whatever suits my job.
  4. Make my own jobs (As mentioned in #3).
  5. Social interactions.
  6. Yes.
  7. Yes
  8. I don’t play on any Garry’s Mod roleplaying servers.
  9. Yes. You need rules! Even tabletop role-playing games have shittons of rules to keep the system working and control the flow of RP.
  10. No. I do, however, think RP would be more realistic with a more realistic control of guns.

Ahh, I played D&D for awhile. It was brilliant until the Dungeon Master went apeshit and went hellbent on killing us all. I pissed him off so bad because I survived every single saving throw. Even the impossible ones.

In short: You can’t trust people to regulate RP for people. It will work some of the time, but a majority of the time, it won’t.

1. Having that 'balance’d feeling. (like needing currencey to buy a prop)
  2. MMO, give you something to work for and every RP server I’ve been on are always full of douch’e’s.
  3. Not so much when they don’t have enough jobs, it’s when I’m denied a job that bugs me.
  4. Depends really; need statures/limitations, good coding, practicality, etc.
  5. Economy, having a chat box is social enough for me.
  6. Sometimes, actually, most of the time I do. I mean, why can’t I mug the cop without the admin knowing?
  7. Of course, brings reality into the game more. Provides purpose for other people.
  8. The overall ‘cleanliness’ of it.
  9. Rules are made to bent/broken. Of course, rules are there for a reason though, I just don’t want a dictatorship.
  10. Eh, now where’s the fun in that? RP settings need to be more gritty, hands down, like actually having a functioning resistance across multiple servers. (Ohhhh, Steam Group idea right there!)

Thanks for the great input! If you haven’t already noticed, I’m taking this poll for use with my gamemode. It’s going to be simplistic, from scratch, with room to grow. My #1 concern is that the Roleplaying community will enjoy it for its roleplayability v.s. RDM RDM RDM KILL HIM GANG WARS OMZ ADMIN HALP kind of stuff.

1. Doing fun things I can’t do in real life.
  2. I’m more of a fan of the MMO-style, but that’s because usually I run out of things to do. If this RP is so enthralling I don’t care/need skills, then congratulations.
  3. Honestly, the more jobs a server has the more I dislike it. I like it clean and simple, with no more than roundabout 10 jobs.
  4. Predefined are fine, since that’s the only way you can give jobs special attributes.
  5. I think they potentially could be, but general GMod Roleplay doesn’t place enough emphasis on them so they aren’t very important. Like, it’s not serious enough in the sense that everyone tries and scream what they’re selling in order to make money to buy guns. That’s pretty much it. Change that system and I’ll be impressed.
  6. The more the merrier, so long as it’s not so many that download times get ridiculous.
  7. I liked the RRPX idea of a Crafter’s Table, but if you could make the manufacturing system interactive and fun then yes (i.e. using easy engine for creating cars, a great idea)
  8. The people on it.
  9. Depending on the rule. i.e. New Life Rule needs to be important because without it people kill each other for no reason. However, if you can solve the use of these rules which I would rather not have (i.e. a lot tougher to kill), then that’d be cool.
  10. No. Just guns need to be less available and less a part of roleplay.

1)Story, and doing things that are impossible to do in Real Life.
2)The Server I’m on is making a mix. Looks pretty interesting. A pen and Paper Answer: Not sure.
3)Variety is good. If people want to become a firefighter, let them.
4)I personally like using my own jobs. It’s hard roleplaying as an old Mercenary in a warzone when I can only use /CP, y’know?
5)Social Interactions. What’s the fun in roleplay if everybody’s hiding behind locked doors, twiddling for money?
6)Nevermind, get the question. I don’t really care. Sometimes the download times are annoying, but hey. As long as the scripts are good. I’m fine.
7)Yes, of course. It’s pretty silly when I pass a salesman selling his new innovative “Zero Gravity Balls” But it’s not harming anyone.
8)All the other servers I go on are either trying too hard to be SRS BSNS, or are full of idiots. This is slightly chaotic at times, but it’s the closest to what I’m going for. I just wish it had more people and NPC events.
9)To tell the truth, it’s a bit annoying when a random gunman shoots you, and when you kill him in OOC to tell him “No, don’t do that” He starts bitching about how he PKed you and how you didn’t follow New-Life-Rule
10)I wish people would get this through their heads! REALISM CAN BE BORING. It’s a game. Live a little. Firefights, war, and killing undead is fun in moderation. They’re often the most fun part of the roleplay, and elitists seem to look down on it because they don’t follow THE SACRED RULES OF ROLEPLAY.

Bonus: I play on Habeeb’s RP, if anyone cares. It runs it’s own script.

Hey, I started a simplistic RP gamemode first… your stealing my ideas!

Cool. Hopefully we’ll get a good modular roleplay script that actually works.

Given the people who’ve posted here so far, I’m looking forward to this! Maybe I can actually play on an RP server that didn’t just fall out of a saggy Vag!
Thanks Gbps!

1. The roleplay
  2. Social
  3. I feel more restricted with too many jobs, if you catch my drift.
  4. Make my own, see #3
  5. Interaction
  6. Don’t understand the question
  7. No
  8. Playerbase
  9. Yes
  10. Yes
  1. What do you think is the most important element in Roleplaying? ** Being someone else,and being yourself **
  2. Would you rather have GMod Roleplaying be more like a MMO (Skills) or down-and-dirty Roleplaying (Social)? ** Down and Dirty **
  3. Do you feel restricted when a roleplay server does not have enough jobs to suit your freedom? ** I believe we should have our own rights to set freedoms for ourselves **
  4. Would you rather make your own jobs, or use predefined ones? ** Make my own **
  5. Is economy or social interactions more important? ** Not really, cause in RP you can roleplay situations in the economy or social interactions :smiley: **
  6. Do you feel restricted by the amount of real-life entities in Roleplaying? ** Why be realistic? Be fun! If you wanna be a flying angel person or if you wanna be Satan go ahead and do it! <3 **
  7. Do you enjoy manufacturing products to sell? ** Yeah it adds a sense of success in what you do. It also would add roleplay if someone were to steal said items cause it would make your character feel bad and go into depression **
  8. What’s the number one reason you play one server v.s. another? ** I don’t. The only thing I’ll occasionally do is make political advertisements against groups I hate or the server hates…**
  9. Is rule following in RP important to you? ** No, it limits my creativity. What people need to do is just follow the basic rules and stay like that. **
  10. Do you think that RP would be more realistic without guns? ** No! Make it so people have a harder time getting guns or have to pay to have them. Without guns, any form of Roleplay in Garry’s Mod will seize to exist. **

Also, this would seem to be an advertisment forum for your Gmod roleplay that is against Dark RP. This will be another RP that will probably fail if it is.

1. Quests and Objectives (decided on what type of job you choose)|levels and skills|Customizable items, jobs, and anything customizable, really.

2. An MMO, but please don’t limit it to only this.

3. Yeah

4. Make you’re own, but allowing it to fall under a certain category for jobs, for instance, you could name your job “Rapist” and have it fall under the prostitution job category. Or make a “Superman” job and have it fall under the law enforcement category.

5. Economy would be a nice addition, and as long as a chatbox is existant, social interaction exists as well

6. Such as…a hunger stat? yeah I would imagine that making a game really annoying.

7. Not really at the moment, maybe if you could be a pharmacist and make youre own medications with different stats but the different stats for a medication require different ingredients which cost money, but the medications could be customly named and have an avatar picture that you can choose from 5 types of drugs (injectibles, pills, ect.) THAT kind of item manufacturing is what gmod rp needs.

8. I don’t play DarkRP based games.

9. No, why stick to a rule when noone else will?

10. I think it would be more boring without guns, why make an RP based on real life? base it off of bizarre fantasy and war scenarios.

So you all know, this is a ** FROM SCRATCH ** roleplaying gamemode. It will be ** NOTHING ** like DarkRP or any counterparts.

First of all: That’s great! We really need more RP gamemodes from scratch, since many of the better have more-or-less died.
Also, feel free to study the shitty code of mine in the unlikely circumstances that you wouldn’t know how to create something I have created. The code is in an SVN repository @ http://subversion.assembla.com/svn/shadow/ (BUT IS OUTDATED!)

1. Socializing, interacting with other players more than with the script
  2. My preference is having something from betwee those; As long as the script helps interaction between players, I could have skills. Even tabletops have skills, why couldn’t we. :slight_smile:
  3. If I am restricted to select from a few different types of characters without any kind of customization possibility, then yes. (Think about a Hack’N’Slash game like Diablo, but with no possibility to select or change your skills.)
  4. Making own jobs is a better idea, but there could be a system similar to flags in some gamemodes, so that some things can be restricted to trusted people. Temporary flag vote, too?
  5. Social interactions, but having a working economy system should help interactions.
  6. Excuse me?
  7. If it’s relatively straightforward and doesn’t include waiting for some darn progress bar to complete. Create the product instantaneously, but have the player actually do something to replace the progress bar, such as gather/buy the stuff needed to create the item. (But sure, some two seconds of waiting accompanied by assorted hammering sounds is good)
  8. Atmosphere of the server, and how I feel at the time. If I want more playing around, building and stuff, I join a certain DarkRP, but if I feel like really roleplaying, I go on TnB or some other major community.
  9. Server rules - sure! RP world laws - If you don’t want to be a criminal
  10. Yes, but seriously now, why do you think most games nowadays have guns? Making sandviches [sic] does not sell that well. If the guns play a minor role, for example, citizens can buy a pistol and a mag of ammo for self-protection. Soldiers and police riot units could have heavier weaponry, but those jobs would have to be restricted.
  1. What do you think is the most important element in Roleplaying?
    A well working admin- and playerbase

2. Would you rather have GMod Roleplaying be more like a MMO (Skills) or down-and-dirty
    Roleplaying (Social)?
    More of a mix of both, with stats and a few (well thought) skills to refine and then a good script for direct roleplay in itself.

3. Do you feel restricted when a roleplay server does not have enough jobs to suit your freedom?
    Not at all. In fact, I play at servers using “TacoScript” and the likes, using flags. The flag does not define what you directly do, but what you can do.

4. Would you rather make your own jobs, or use predefined ones?
    Preferably start out with flags which you can freely make your own “job”.

5. Is economy or social interactions more important?
    Social, its the general core of roleplay.

6. Do you feel restricted by the amount of real-life entities in Roleplaying?
    No?

7. Do you enjoy manufacturing products to sell?
    Depends on the gamemode, if its something like LightRP, no. If its something else, like roleplaying something you make, yes.

8. What’s the number one reason you play one server v.s. another?
    The admin/playerbase and how the server in general is.

9. Is rule following in RP important to you?
    Yes, without the rules at my favorite server, minging and faggotry would be worse than a nuclear bomb there.

10. Do you think that RP would be more realistic without guns?
    Depending on the script, but not in general. Weapons are a good way to create roleplay, but it promotes mingery and deathmatching too much. Depending on how the roleplay is set (like Fallout RP or something), yes. If its something in a small town with no need, no.

1. FairPlay and the Remembrace of NLR
  2. Social
  3. Very
  4. Nothing Wrong with Both
  5. Social interactions
  6. No
  7. Yes
  8. Its Mine :smiley:
  9. Very
  10. Much More.