A "The Memory Could Not Be 'Read'" Error

Hello all. I come here to Facepunch today to seek the help of some seasoned net veterans who may be able to help me in my predicament. Earlier today, I attempted to load up GMod only to find out that, no matter what I try, I’m unable to start GMod. At all. Every single time, I’m shown the error in the .jpg below. Now, I’m not sure what I’ve done to piss my computer off so badly, but two recent events stick out fresh in my mind.

1.) Yesterday, while playing on rp_evocity_v2d for the first time (Singleplayer), I came across a section of the map that caused my game to freeze, and eventually crash. After that, I made no attempt to play GMod until this morning, upon which I found said error that plagues me. Could this crash be the cause of my dilemma?

2.) I was forced to update my drivers on my graphics card in order to play another game (Minecraft), for it told me some bull**** about pixel shading, blahblahblah, and totally disregarding the fact I’ve played Minecraft before just fine without updating my graphics card. So I upgraded. One would think that upgrading a graphics card would only make things better, not worse.

Before I updated the drivers for the graphics card (Which is an nVidia GeForce 440 MX), I was able to play GMod just fine, albeit with the downsides that come with such an old graphics card. But after updating it with what seems to be the latest drivers, from nVidia’s own site, no less, it seems I’m unable to play GMod (But Minecraft works just fine, hallelujah). I’ve tried more than enough times to make it work, and I’ve tried on several different maps. Still, the result is the same. I’ve honestly no idea why I’m suddenly not able to play GMod. Maybe the cause is something completely different from the ones above. But I’m here to ask, won’t someone help me try and fix my problem so I may once again play GMod?

I’ve also searched around here earlier, and while finding some threads with problems familiar to mine, they’ve had no success for me.

Here’s my specs on the computer I’m using:

Windows XP SP3
nVidia GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X (64 MB Memory)
1024MBs of RAM
AMD Athlon XP 2100+ (MMX, 3DNow) ~1.7 GHz

It’s a VERY old rig, I’m aware, but I have no other means of getting my hands on anything else at the moment. If anyone could help me, I’d greatly appreciate it.

nVidia GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X (64 MB Memory)
AMD Athlon XP 2100+ (MMX, 3DNow) ~1.7 GHz

Hahahahahha!
Does that even meets the minimum requirements? 64MB?!

Aye, it does indeed. I’ve played GMod, Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2 Ep. 1, Counter-Strike, and Day of Defeat for well over three years, with no major problems. As I said, it’s indeed old, and it’s quite difficult to play most of those games on it. But, it does work. But my problem with the memory read error still stands, and I’ve not been able to get it to work. Any helpful suggestions, anyone?

Spart mind spelling out what the error says(on a mobile you see). Since you have updated the drivers, I can blame an addon. Name the recent addon you installed.
Wha? Why is your 2100 under clocked. My ye ol’ 1 ran at 2.1

Addons don’t have enough access to do that.

Garry’s mod.
A fucking nightmare.
Flap I don’t know 'bout that.

The error says, "The instruction at ‘0x1186cbbd’ referenced memory at ‘0x0f100454’. The memory could not be ‘read’.

Click on OK to terminate yaddayaddayadda.

The most recent addons I’ve added are the rp_evocity_v2d map, Sakarias88’s Microwave Rifle, and Hxrmn’s grappling hook addon, with rp_evocity_v2d being the most recent one. These all worked the numerous times I played before, though. Also, I’ve no idea why my 2100 only runs 1.7 GHz.

Hope this helps.

Try renaming (or delete) the addons folder to see if that causes the error?

Eh… no luck. I did what you suggested, Crissiejjj, but that didn’t work. I also “cleaned GMod,” the method where one goes to C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps<SteamLoginName>\garrysmod and renames the garrysmod folder with the garrysmod folder and starting the program to get a clean garrysmod folder. That, also, was unable to solve anything.

Tried -dxlvl 81?

Your Cpu is horrible by the way

Try undoing the graphics updates (roll back driver) and try.
Since it said memory could not be read, its referring to ram.
Your 64MB graphics card may not be able to take it.
Hell, you could by a cheap 7300LE for £10-20.

snip

Didn’t bother looking at the screenshot, ignore me~