A tip for new mappers

Hi I myself am new to mapping (hammers crashes often ): ) So I decided to give people a bunch of good videos to get them started to making maps. Visit this page http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPTqbrRQsbI&feature=PlayList&p=13A8C11B9FC96967&index=0 It has 20 videos in a playlist that will teach you how to make a good map (it’s not by me so i’m not advertising… I simply thought this would help new mappers.)

Goodluck :slight_smile:

Ahh… those tutorials, they helped me a lot with displacements and how to sew them.

Except he does a lot of things in a wasteful, unoptimized or more complicated than need be way.

He really needs a better understanding of how the compile tools and source engine work in relation to maps.

In this video:

“3) Just make a massive skybox around your map to be sure.”
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Don’t fucking do that. It’s the worst way ever.

That’s the best way. It guarantees a 3kliksphilip map.

Yeah but it’s ok for beginning, you can fix it later.

No it’s not okay for beginners. You don’t want them to learn it first.
Like if you got a dog and want to train it to take a shit outside. do you also just let him do it the ‘easy way/inside’ because he’s new at the whole outside shitting thing?

The beginning sets your habits for your mapping forever.

I’m confused by him, he says how you should do stuff, then he throws in a completely stupid method to secure how to do it, which results in alot of wasted vis compiling and basically makes you level lag to shit.

Hurray for 3kliksphilip! :v:

NO. NO STOP RECOMMENDING THIS FUCKER. HE IS GIVING BAD ADVICE TO PEOPLE. STOP. REMOVE THE LINKS. SAY YOUR SORRY. HE GIVES HORRIBLE ADVICE.

Fucks sake. In a few weeks when my brother goes back to college I’m going to start a series of correct youtube videos for new mappers that don’t give SHIT ADVICE.

SO STOP RECOMMENDING HIM.

He meant beginning as in when you first start a map. Personally I do it when I’m trying to get the basic layout, then once I got the layout nailed down I delete the giant skybox box and create it properly.

Also to the OP, if you are new to mapping you probably shouldn’t make tutorials.

It’s called the cordon. ;_;

Well personally because I am a noob mapper I dont see anything bad about him thats why I posted the link ;-;.

Me sorry :P. Since your all saying that he’s bad… I’ll delete the link and change it to “love is not for everyone… Consult your doctor before use” ? :smiley:

No bad tree.

Oh Jesus someone is teaching noob mappers to carve!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0udwWlMJFI

Hey jerks, i like him. He’s not afraid to make it look messy to teach something new. His videos are useful for anyone new and JUST STARTING OUT, not the old vets around

Would you tell someone to miss out on addin egg to the mixture when making cake, because it’s simpler? No. Then why should you teach people to map badly from the start? Bad habits stick. The worrying thing is about him, that he himself doesn’t know he is wrong, and some of the troubleshooting advice he provides is outright terrible. It’s better to learn off something like halfwit, where the tutorials have been written and checked by knowledgable mappers.

I don’t know which is worse: the lesson or the music.