A transmission question

In my quest to make an unnecessarily powerful engine (as seen here)

, I finally did but it yielded one problem! I tried attaching a transmission to bring the wheel rpm down from going above the limit at which wheels fall through the ground, but each trany just slips. Is there any alternative that can withstand something of this nature because it defeats the purpose of having the engine due that nothing can actually grip the ground without falling right through it.

Dat vid :byodood:

Either it was the video quality or engine that brought you to that expression… hmmmm, I don’t think that answers my question either lol.

The problem is that your engine is just too powerful. If you want to bring the wheel RPM down, you’ll just have to settle with bringing the engine RPM down. Try something like.

if(RPM>500){On=0}else{On=1}

Where “On” is a multiplier in the expression used to turn the engine on and off. This will turn the engine on if the RPM is less than 500, but shuts it off if the RPM is over 500.

from what I can tell your problem isn’t actually RPM, it’s also the massive torque of the engine–you’re over-torqueing your wheels, hence, you flip like that. If it was pure RPM, the wheels would just bounce with wheel-skip.

Up your wheel weight to require more inertia to move it, add more wheels to distribute torque, make it front wheel drive to help compensate for the torque (it’ll force the rear wheels down, an unusual solution I found by accident actually), wheel grip hacks, use a wire clutch to slip some of your torque, etc.
Wheel grip hacks, if you don’t know, is applying downward force on the axles or the wheels themselves. Used in moderation or at certain times/amounts, it’s very useful (for example increasing the force as RPM increases)

And Opie, for the love of god, use source recorder. Fraps/Gamecam/Xfire don’t compare. Just use hte built-in recorder.

[editline]4th March 2011[/editline]

also,

Fuel = (SetRPM-RPM)*Mul 

is better than hit and miss timing, although you gotta be careful it doesn’t explode at low rpms.

Thanks for the tips… I forced the car to stay on the ground but the wheels span too fast so they sunk into the ground. I also tried source recorder via the console and the menu add-on, but for some reason it trips out on me no matter what setting its on. Also, I’m not sure what you mean by hit and miss timing, but if I assume you mean my hydro fire system it uses distance detection via a rotating marked object.
But…
I thought about it, its a wacky and odd idea that might work. Would it be possible to use a forcer that acts as a collision barrier and does not actually exert excess force? If so this may be a solution if placed on a wheel. I don’t know if its possible, but before I spend a lot of time on something of the sort, I’m curious if they can serve this purpose. If needed to visualize it, i’ll make something that at least resembles it and take a screenshot.

edit: Also, I would limit the rpm, but my engine is on the brink of max ops although the code is extremely concise and refined. I added one line and I wasn’t able to use variable power without exceeding max ops.

There is no way in Hell that a hydraulic engine’s timing chip could come anywhere close to maximum e2 ops. My engines barely hit 70 ops MAXIMUM.

It seems that you just need to rebuild from the ground up. Reduce the weight of everything, including the engine, and rewrite your code. For 4 different points on the crankshaft, the expression shouldn’t be have any more than 4 lines to time those.

if(Bearing>X&Bearing<Y){H=A}else{H=B}

Some people like to explode their code for easier viewing, but you shouldn’t need to for something as simple as this.

Before I respond, First off for those who may help read my previous post about a trany idea for this engine… I’m not sure if its plausible.

Sorry I didn’t explain it well, the distance detection barely pings, the controller does. The code is honestly simple, the outputs are simply numerous making it look large as they are all necesary for the power behind this engine via moding length constants and damping.

It just checks for five conditions then outputs as four are for the four hydro sets, and one is for instant startup. I think the outputs and inputs cause the ops to rise so high.

@name ZSCM GEN 5
@inputs INPhl INPpow INPoAf INPum INPud INPcd INPdamponly
@outputs OUThl OUThl2 OUThlt OUThlb OUTc1 OUTc2 OUTc3 OUTc4 OUTd1 OUTd2 OUTd3 OUTd4
@persist INTu INTd 
@trigger 

interval(10) #NO else statements used as the detection faults although sytax is corret

if(INPoAf==0){
    OUTc1=250
    OUTc2=50
    OUTc3=0
    OUTc4=0
    OUTd1=0
    OUTd2=0
    OUTd3=0
    OUTd4=0
    INTu=0
    INTd=0
    OUThl=0
    OUThl2=100
    OUThlt=0
    OUThlb=0}

if(INPoAf==1){
    if(INPhl<INPum){
        INTd=0
        if(INTu==0){
            INTu=1}
        OUTc1=0
        OUTc2=0
        OUTc3=INPcd
        OUTc4=0
        OUTd1=0
        OUTd2=0
        OUTd3=INPdamponly
        OUTd4=0
        OUThl=0
        OUThl2=0
        OUThlt=INPpow
        OUThlb=0
    }
    if(INPhl>INPud){
        INTu=0
        if(INTd==0){
            INTd=1}
        OUTc1=0
        OUTc2=0
        OUTc3=0
        OUTc4=INPcd
        OUTd1=0
        OUTd2=0
        OUTd3=0
        OUTd4=INPdamponly
        OUThl=0
        OUThl2=0
        OUThlt=0
        OUThlb=INPpow
    }

if(INTu==1){
        if(INPhl>INPum){
            OUTc1=INPcd
            OUTc2=0
            OUTc3=0
            OUTc4=0
            OUTd1=INPdamponly
            OUTd2=0
            OUTd3=0
            OUTd4=0
            OUThl=INPpow
            OUThl2=0
            OUThlt=0
            OUThlb=0}
    }
    if(INTd==1){
        if(INPhl<INPud){
            OUTc1=0
            OUTc2=INPcd
            OUTc3=0
            OUTc4=0
            OUTd1=0
            OUTd2=INPdamponly
            OUTd3=0
            OUTd4=0
            OUThl=0
            OUThl2=INPpow
            OUThlt=0
            OUThlb=0}
    }
  if(INPhl>INPum){
   if(INPhl<INPud){ 
    if(INTu==0){
     if(INTd==0){
       INTd=1}
    }
} 
}
}

PS: I found a way to get it to not flip, and as suggested, I used downward force (10 max downward apply forces which physically weighmax weight), 16 small wheels, and everything is at max weight. Although it didn’t have full traction, the wheels didn’t stop even when tugging 50 max weight cubes. I still need a trany.

Use

[/ code] please

what’s wrong with using some gears from the gear pack, they are able to handle winston and i’s 1000hp motors.

I have no freaking clue how you set up that engine, but you should be able to severely simplify it. If I understand how you built the engine, you should only need 4 hydro outputs, but with multiple hydraulics wired to any output. I’m not sure what the purpose is to have things this complex, as I’m sure you could get just as much power (if not more) out of an engine I am describing.

yes this seems to be an unnecessarily complex engine. Using four hydraulics on feedbacks you could get the same power as eight regularly, and the code is making my head hurt

I’ll explain. If the engine is started and is not in 12 o clock pos, it chooses sector 4’s firing pattern and revolves to the top. Once at the 12 position, the engine fires counter clockwise with set 1(labeled 3) which consists of two opposite sets of four pistons each. Once the engine is past up detection zone, set 2(labeled 1) fires until it hits the bottom detection zone where set 3(labeled 4) fires, and set 4(labeled 2) when leaving that zone. This produces a continual uni-directional spin due to hydraulic firing angles and positions, but to gain power or null opposing hydraulic resistance, constants and damps have to be updated or else e2 continues to output an item even after the condition is false (I don’t know why, but its just how it is). Its real basic, but the ops is high.

Sorry i forgot to use [ code] [/code ], and Amplar, this thing goes leaps above 1000 horsepower, it even overloads the old and new 1.2 autodyno, and can pull 100 max weight cubes, yet it loses traction but does not stop spinning above that (aka it still has more power which I can’t use due to slip AND yes once I find a way to give it more traction as e2 isnt apply force isnt enough, there will be a video herp derp).

YET most importantly, what about my trany problem lol

edited sorry double clicked

doublepost much?

Maybe it’s me but I always thought “hydraulic” and “forcer” engines weren’t real engines I mean, the “rotating camshaft forcer” with a timing shaft and pistons kind of is, but…idk.

[editline]4th March 2011[/editline]

use the “new gear pack” or some sort of weld-latch ratcheting transmission if you can’t lower your rpms. Wire clutch tool also works, but is very inefficient.

Yes It was an accident err, I’m looking to use items found in most servers… I don’t play offline a lot as prefer playing in servers. Maybe the new gears would work, but so would have coding a chip via lua to give me more flexibility with e2, but as stated it defeats the purpose. Anyhow, what about the forcers, does anyone know if they can be used as a barrier instead of accelerating an object? If so I could possibly make a trany with em.

All I know is that your engine is unnecessarily complex. Make it simple. Make a hydraulic go to a length until a desired angle is reached, then go to a different length until the opposite angle is reached, sorta an in/out motion.

This is how most hydraulic engines are done, so please be normal if you want acceptable and predictable results.

Ahhhhhh… If I treated it like theirs though it would loose its unnecessary power :frowning: I need the unnecessary power for no reason what so ever… GOSH!!

I’d be willing to bet that I can make a hydraulic engine with half as many hydros, and still get very, VERY reasonable power.

If you want go for it. When screwing around I found out why the variable power was glitching and sticking causing me to be unable to lower the power. I had wired the hydraulic expansion rate reset to the wire hydraulic constant increment-or sooo it seemed as if a little change would happen now and then but then would seem useless now knowing the culprit was it was reseting to default power. I don’t know how this happened as I checked and fixed that a bit back, but now I can decrement the engine power to whatever I want without a hitch thus less rpms with less torque… I too can make the engine more powerful which is absolutely pointless yet funny. I’m not sure if it is so, but perhaps the glitch had to do with super parent multi. In English, engine issue solved without ops increase.

Also, I guess its useless to have a trany as I have tried about everything… So long dreams of cruising at an incredible five miles per hour with untold amounts of torque :frowning: