HTML5 added something called web storage. It allows web applications to save arbitrary string data on the client browser. It’s size per site is limited to 5 MB.
My suggestion would be to add something similar for addons, so we can save e.g. shared preferences across servers. Size could be limited in the same way, or maybe even less. This should be all abstracted away to a simple key-value based system.
- Storing addon preferences locally that can be used across servers
- Sharing some state between independent servers (e.g. dupes, wiremod scripts, etc…)
To address potential storage size issues:
- Size per addon would be limited to 5MB or less
- Total storage size can be limited, it would auto-purge when that limit is exceeding starting by the oldest accessed data
- Addon storage could be auto-purged when the addon gets uninstalled
Could be even integrated with Steam cloud if anyone needs that…