Abandoned Shopping Center (WIP)

Hello! for the past few days I’ve been working on this abandoned shopping center in HL:A , bit by bit to get a better understanding of the Source 2 toolset and how it works. And I think I got to a point where I want to show off what my map currently looks like. So I’ll use this thread to post updates, take suggestions and critiques if any of yall have any.

:notebook: The following compile preview of the map was set to 2k Lightmap Quality setting on final with no post-processing yet.

Screenshots as of 5/19/2021

Short Video Walkthrough As Of 5/19/2021

18 Likes

I love it it reminds me the daybreak serie

1 Like

This is very promising, I hope you will focus on the history to draw out some sort of legacy of the place and/or the stores that were there before (for example with old advertising posters or with old objects, etc.). But otherwise, it’s just awesome, the reflections and light in Source 2 are incredible.

1 Like

yeah ill be sure todo that, oh and next thing up on the list is add stores on the 2nd floor ;D .

1 Like

Looks fantastic - great job! Can’t wait to see more updates :slight_smile:

1 Like

It kind of reminds me of the l4d2 map dead center, good work though

2 Likes

Gotta use ALT+H on a face to texture it via hotspot, those are hotspot textures you’re using for the most part.

1 Like

Oh sheit thanks for the reminder! That’s where I left off last night before I got the hay anyways

2 Likes

almost done with getting the hotspots looking not so screeched. While also adding some depth to some of the walls. going todo a render soon hopefully so that I can show my progress.

1 Like

Looks amazing and kinda scary q~q

still really cool though!

1 Like

baking 4k lightmap as we speek for the next progress update! and yes i could of gone for 2k final but i need to test how long a 4k would take on this map at its current size.

oh and the maps size as on now via the side :3

2 Likes

Update 1

compile finished but lighting in some rooms was a bit borked.
ill redo a 2k final compile again in the mean time hears a few hopefully “decent” screenshots.

Update 1 Screenshots

:notebook: The following compile preview of the map was set to 4k Lightmap Quality setting on final with no post-processing yet.

Screenshots as of 5/22/2021

I’m not the best at lighting in certain situations but ill work on getting better

4 Likes

looks awesome and really scary to walk around in

2 Likes

Update 1 Video

:notebook: The following video was rendered on 2k Quality setting on final with no post-processing yet.

Short Video Walkthrough As Of 5/23/2021

Note: Still have some lighting issues if you can spot them but ill be sure to tackle them in the coming days.

3 Likes

Update 2

playing around with some volumetric fog in the hallway and the re-decorated electrical room!
though the fog probably doesn’t come across well in the pictures as much as it does in-game.

Update 2 Screenshots

:notebook: The following compile preview of the map was set to 2k Lightmap Quality setting on final with no post-processing yet.

2 Likes

Update 3

:spiral_notepad: Update Notes :spiral_notepad:

Had to rebuild the map somewhat to fix the lighting but everything (should) be good now.
Just not the cubemap transitions because those suck in HL:A.

:new: Stuff Added or Removed :new:

• Rough Escalator Blockout one for up and one for down.
  • added one new shop with breakable glass and a little display behind the glass.
  • removed the 2 upper floor shops.

Update 3 Screenshots

Short video walkthrough as of 5/27/2021

4 Likes

Update 4

Railings! modeled some railings to start to fill some of the dead space up and make things more “safer”.

:new: Stuff Added or Removed :new:

• Railings for the escalators and upper floor.
  • added pillars from the bottom floor to the top.

Update 4 Screenshots

:notebook: The following compile preview of the map was set to 4k Lightmap Quality setting on final with no post-processing yet.

6 Likes

Update 5

After a bit of a break, I’m back working on the map to spruce things up a bit. And this time I’m working on the escalators, getting them somewhat up and running with minimal issues. The short preview below will show you them in action, one going up and one going down. This is nothing fancy but it’s a start, as this is a rough prototype of what the final may be once I learn Source 2 a bit more.

Update 5 Video Preview

7 Likes

jezz, looks so cool with S2 graphics! Keep your good work up!

thanks! func_tracktrains were a bit of a pain to set up for my use but in the end, it all worked (finally). will experiment and learn animated props at some point to enhance it but for now a simple func_tracktrain setup shall surfice.