I have been busy building all sorts of vehicles and have moved to using simple E2 function to control hydraulic steering and applytorque for thrust.
I cannot seem to get a good balance between speed on flat ground and power climbing hills. Either it spazzes out on the flat ground with too much speed or it cannot climb a decent hill.
I tried just setting a different thrust amount with shift to compensate but it is quite clunky.
That is when I had the inspiration of using a function to apply an acceleration curve, so the bottom end has lots of power and the top end is scaled back on a curve.
At first I tried a parabolic curve but that did not respond so well, so I figured a logarithmic curve would be better. I ended up with this:
LForce = Di*(20000/(0.02ln(Speedo)))((APC[“Shift”,number]*0.5)+1)
Di= input from the Advanced pod controller 1 for W -1 for S
Speedo= Speedometer+1 so that it will move even when at a dead stop.
L1= entity, the drive wheel, ball socketed to the back wheels.
This function is dividing the thrust by the natural log of the speedometer the shift gives me a 50% boost which is always nice, it does not help when trying to climb a hill though. I have played with other log bases but the base e seems to work the best for me right now.
For the size of my current vehicle this seems to work quite well, it gives me lots of power to climb when going slowly and tops out at 50km/h or so though on a long flat stretch it would probably just keep accelerating forever, though the wheels bounce around a fair bit. My suspension is a little sloppy so I am sure I could improve that top end a bit.
I hope this helps someone else, and I am hoping for advice and ways to improve this. Thanks!
This is my first post, and I am pretty sure it is in the right spot.